PDA

View Full Version : using midi to sync 24 with my 303's

ronlaboa
30-11-2007, 11:37 PM
hi guys i own both ableton and cubase 4 and always synced my 303 to cubase. but when i sync it to ableton is out of time a bit does anyone have any idea why ?
thanks

ronlaboa
30-11-2007, 11:39 PM
also when using just analog synths with din sync and analog sequencers does it seem tighter and more groovy than midi. what do you think?

dirty_bass
30-11-2007, 11:46 PM
for your ableton problem, just go into the midi delay section in preferences and adjust until your 303 is back in time.

sometimes analog sequencing can be a bit more "human", mainly because it drifts in interesting ways, so I wouldn`t say it`s tighter, but it can be preferable sometimes.
I do hate midi though, time for a new protocol I think.

ronlaboa
30-11-2007, 11:47 PM
cheers mate ill give it a go

ronlaboa
30-11-2007, 11:50 PM
do you think all the old acid techno (early smitten,bearded acid warriors of peace cluster) were made purly on analog equipment, cos i was talking to the geezer in a free party and wos asking him about 303's and all he kept saying was only use analog stuff and sync 24

dirty_bass
01-12-2007, 12:08 AM
well, he would say that wouldn`t he, he`s not really a big user of new technology.
Although he does use samplers, so that`s not entirely analog.

If you only wish to make acid techno, I guess, using nothing but analog might be fun for a while, but I couldn`t cope with it any more. I worked in a 100% analog studio for 4 years and as much as I loved it, I`ll never go back to that.
We have moved on and the sonic manipulation possibilities of a modern studio with a creative mind are truly unlimited. But it is nice to just piss around with some hands on now and again.

Was all the old skool acid techno made on entirely analog kit? Well, I know they used digital kit as well, but they did use all hardware back then.
When it comes down to versatility and going for high production values, it`s very difficult to achieve with purely analog kit.

ronlaboa
01-12-2007, 12:14 AM
and when i hear the old tunes the 303's have a lovely type of distortion ive tried loads of distortion pedals and my boss se 70 but it still doesnt sound like certain tracks ive heard, mainly by chris liberator and dave the drummer, i dont know if you know what i mean its like a softer warmer distortion,

id give anything to work in a studio and learn some tips n tricks i met acid ted and cyber steve in dragon fest in spain 2006 and they said for me to bring me equipment up to bristol and get loads of 303's on the go but then i lost their numbers gutted. i like the analog type of sequencer like on thor, that new reason synth

278d7e64a374de26f==