PDA

View Full Version : musical instruments

detfella
01-12-2007, 09:49 PM
what skills do you need to be able to play musical instruments?

eyeswithoutaface
01-12-2007, 09:57 PM
patience, dedication, passion and a genuine love for the instrument you want to play

im a guitarist of 15 years now, i play to a high, professional level, and i absolutely love it. Just picking up the guitar and writing a tune is total instant escapism

can play the piano to a degree too, and handy on a bass, but guitar is my main passion

fatcollective
01-12-2007, 11:01 PM
patience, dedication, passion and a genuine love for the instrument you want to play

im a guitarist of 15 years now, i play to a high, professional level, and i absolutely love it. Just picking up the guitar and writing a tune is total instant escapism

can play the piano to a degree too, and handy on a bass, but guitar is my main passion

if the guitar is your main passion what ya making electronic music for....why ya not in a band or summat? i know if the guitar was my main passion id wanna be playing in a band....and dont take this the wrong way...im just wondering thats all.

rhythmtech
01-12-2007, 11:20 PM
guitar, bass and drums for years... (although the druming isnt my strongest point)

anyway.. it takes hours of practice and good equipment.

i had a fender thinline telecaster and a fender percision bass... it really makes all the differance.. the american fenders are stupid money but you can pick up jap fenders for about 600euro

detfella
01-12-2007, 11:27 PM
i was thinking more what physical skills you need to play an instrument like good, hand to eye coordination, good listening skills, things like that

eyeswithoutaface
02-12-2007, 01:04 AM
if the guitar is your main passion what ya making electronic music for....why ya not in a band or summat? i know if the guitar was my main passion id wanna be playing in a band....and dont take this the wrong way...im just wondering thats all.

no offence taken mate, but you've misunderstood. I meant out of the instruments i play, the guitar is my main passion, my piano and bass playing is nowhere near the level of my guitar playing.

Overall, my main goal is just to be able to do the music i want too and put it out there, i am in a band with a few mates just writing songs when we can and i write more songs than i do electronic tracks really, but when i started to get releases and with having a particulary well recieved record early last year it was wise to concentrate on the production side of things of course, but i do all kind's, i hope to have an alarmingly diverse output by time i look back when im about 60 years old :)

dan the acid man
02-12-2007, 01:19 AM
i was thinking more what physical skills you need to play an instrument like good, hand to eye coordination, good listening skills, things like that

hand eye co-ordination are a must for most instruments, but most people have that anyway, it's just a case of practicing enough that it becomes second nature.

a good sence of rhythmn is more important i reckon.

I play the guitar (although i've not touched one for a while, might have to buy myself one again) and the drums (although i'm not great at this)

RDR
02-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Finding a good tutor is the best start you can have.

A good instrument is also an absolute must, using someting thats cheap and nasty will just hold your skils back.

I play drums (3yrs) Guitar (10yrs) Bass (5 yrs) , keyboard bashing (10yrs on and off) and I sing.

im not much good at any of them, but they're fun and dont require me to fire up a machine.

278d7e64a374de26f==