PDA

View Full Version : 2.1 Monitor Setups

TheRev
04-12-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm in the market for a new pair of monitors. More or less decided on getting the Adam A7's - however, on the fence about whether or not I should add a Sub as well (looking at a KRK sub).

Someone recently told me one of the worst things you can do is get 2.1 setup.

Anyone have any thoughts/feelings/experience on this?

Does having a sub discolor your perception of the mix, or give you a better picture of what its going to sound like on a club system?

Barely Human
04-12-2007, 06:13 PM
The A7's are a very good choice for a start off, and for a small unit, they packa very nice punch, plus they go a lot lower than you would expect. To be honest, i would look at room acoustics first as this will have way more impact then adding a sub with bad acoustics.

Loop
04-12-2007, 06:27 PM
"Subs are for home theatre systems and wimps"

Dunno who said it, but i'm down.

BloodStar
05-12-2007, 09:33 AM
The A7's are a very good choice for a start off, and for a small unit, they packa very nice punch, plus they go a lot lower than you would expect. To be honest, i would look at room acoustics first as this will have way more impact then adding a sub with bad acoustics.

+1. Personally, In case I would use sub+speakers I would take only one brand and wouldnt combine it like, KRK+Adam, etc,.... Crossover frequencies and architecture can be different brand to brand, model to model, which can be a nightmare to set-up.

dirty_bass
05-12-2007, 10:45 AM
After an amazing demo, and rave reviews by producers I talk to, and people who`s opinion I respect, I thoroughly recommend the new JBL monitors with room accoustics adjustment, for anyone without a properly treated room, or, small studio space.

These things are amazing. Clean response, nice mid detail, round and clear bass, and the room adjustment software is really really good.

Mine are on order.

SlimboyPhatt
05-12-2007, 11:39 AM
After an amazing demo, and rave reviews by producers I talk to, and people who`s opinion I respect, I thoroughly recommend the new JBL monitors with room accoustics adjustment, for anyone without a properly treated room, or, small studio space.

These things are amazing. Clean response, nice mid detail, round and clear bass, and the room adjustment software is really really good.

Mine are on order.

Seconded!

I have the LSR4326p's, and could not be any happier. These babys are amazing, and the room correction really helps.

I dont have the sub, but would get it with this system, as it makes sure it is set up for you correctly.

I had never noticed how much extra bass was put out by monitors until i got these babies.

Every room i have moved them too gets a different response, but once they adjust they sound the same no matter what room.

MAGIC

TheRev
06-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Yeh saw those JBLs in the store when i went for a second listen... Shame they didn't have the Adam's there for me to compare. Definitely was thinking about getting them. I put up acoustic treatment in my room - but I'm sure I didn't get it perfect, since its such a strange room to begin with.... And they did have a really good sound to them, lots of depth!

Noted on the brand matchup. I was thinking that might be a problem matching them up like that.

dirty_bass
06-12-2007, 06:16 PM
what kind of treatment did you put in the room?
how big is the room?

stjohn
06-12-2007, 08:31 PM
ive ordered the adams myself :)

i doubt ull need a sub to be honest!! i wouldve like the jbls...but $$ was an issue

xfive
06-12-2007, 09:53 PM
I've got a matched sub with my monitors... the woofers on the monitors are only 6.5" and didn't really give me the proper bass response that I was looking for, so hence the sub.
If it is tuned properly to the room and you are used to it, it can definitely help.
Most people say they shouldn't be used all the time, but personally I'd rather use mine than be completely unaware of what's going on in the low end.

Soon I am going to get the JBL's though and use them without a sub as the woofer size should put out enough bass.

SlimboyPhatt
07-12-2007, 10:44 AM
I've got a matched sub with my monitors... the woofers on the monitors are only 6.5" and didn't really give me the proper bass response that I was looking for, so hence the sub.
If it is tuned properly to the room and you are used to it, it can definitely help.
Most people say they shouldn't be used all the time, but personally I'd rather use mine than be completely unaware of what's going on in the low end.

Soon I am going to get the JBL's though and use them without a sub as the woofer size should put out enough bass.

Which do you plan to get, I have the 4326p's (6.25 inch cone) And to be fair there is enough bass the but obviously not the sub end.

However with the JBL's you can add the sub which also adjust to get a flat response.

I am more pleased than i could imagine with my JBLs, and may add the sub at some point.

linguo
07-12-2007, 08:41 PM
have a look into the blue sky pro desks

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul03/articles/bluesky.asp
(more info on sos forum)

more than happy with mine

linguo
07-12-2007, 08:41 PM
+ bluesky support are the business

xfive
07-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Which do you plan to get, I have the 4326p's (6.25 inch cone) And to be fair there is enough bass the but obviously not the sub end.

However with the JBL's you can add the sub which also adjust to get a flat response.

I am more pleased than i could imagine with my JBLs, and may add the sub at some point.

I want the ones with the 8" woofers..
My current monitors are good, but I'm sure the bass response from your JBLs are better even though the size is the same.

TheRev
08-12-2007, 05:15 AM
what kind of treatment did you put in the room?
how big is the room?

The room is 18' x 8.5' - though the wall at the end of the long end isn't really a full wall, more like a half wall that divides it between the next room.

I've got the monitors set up at the far end from that half wall and I've put a bunch of Auralex foam around the area where the speakers are - right against the wall by the speaker, and on either side. Plus bass traps in the corners.

Has anyone listened to the Adam's side by side with the JBL's? I'm basically torn between the two. From poking it around - it sounds like the Adam's are the better speaker, but would love to hear some opinions from folks with a techno ear.

278d7e64a374de26f==