PDA

View Full Version : Grouping kick and bass on fl7

tracatak
05-12-2007, 01:30 AM
(I FOLLOWED THE RIGHT CLICK ON THE CHANNEL ETC..BUT IM A LITTLE CONFUSED.)

Iq i need you on this one..lol..do u think this replaces sidechaing? or is it another step after..i feel like i can get some good rolling kicks and bass but just keeps rolling i cant get it to shuffle or do teh wishy washy sorta effect...any1 got any tips..thanks

danielmarshall
05-12-2007, 02:43 AM
Been a while since I used FL Studio, but a better way to do side chaining is putting a FLgain plugin at the end of the channel's insert chain, then right click on the gain knob and assign it to whatever internal controller (usually this is just a Peak Controller) you're using to duck the bass. This way you have control over the volume of the channel though the mixer and makes mixing the track allot easier - otherwise you need to set the channel volume through the Peak Controller which is pretty back to front in my way of thinking. Also, you could get creative with how you side chain stuff. For example you could duck the bass by assigning the controller to a high pass filter instead of the channel's gain. That way you can retain the high frequency harmonics of the bass sound while letting the kick's bass come through clearly. Lots of possibilities....

Barely Human
05-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Ok, im not quite sure what problem you are having, whether you cant group right, or if you cant get the sidechain to work. I assume your using FL7, so this is how i would do it.

Send kick to channel 1, send bass to channel 2. Click on channel one, then move the mouse over to channel 10, then right click on the send knob and select "Route to this channel only". Then click on channel 2 and do the same. Both channels will now be grouped to channel 10.

Now open a fruity peak controller on channel 1, and uncheck the mute button on the bottom right of the plugin. On channel 2, open a fruity balance. Right click on the volume knob of the fruity balance and select "Link to controller". In the internal controller section, select peak from the drop down. Now hit play. Go back to the fruity peak controller and change the settings on the controller to suit, To get a basic duck, set the far top left to nearly full, and the next one in to nearly off. Cant remember what they are called off the top of my head, one is called peak though.

You should now have a pump effect. You can now add compression to channel 10 aswell for extra effect.

Hope this helps.

tracatak
05-12-2007, 10:33 PM
when u say channel..do u mean insert 1? and where do u recommend putting the delay? on which one? what are also some good things to duck under the kick hi hats too? thanks..so far so good i have done this in the past..but keep finding dif things that work..

tracatak
05-12-2007, 10:37 PM
ok so far i got it..

when u say channel 1 is that INSERT1 ?

and where do i put the delays distortion eq on 10? AND do i place them in what order...liek compressor, eq, delay, dist or compressor last? thanks

p_brane
05-12-2007, 11:34 PM
yes Insert 1 is channel 1.

add the delays where you want, experimentation is the key. but for what IQ mentioned i'd stay away from adding delay or distortion to ''channel 10'' , if your gonna use them try inserting them on the individual channels,

play around a while and see what sounds best.

id generally EQ before compression, then maybe EQ after aswell if needed

tracatak
06-12-2007, 11:25 PM
EXCELLENT....ive been adding a few bass sounds and a few kicks but cant keep it from getting too muddy...

any1 recommend how to get (what i think is )those rides really compressed ?

and do i duck those under the kick as well..that is what i think im hearing ..

so far i think if i really compress some rides and some bass sounds...and get them to duck under my kick i got a basic formula for schranz? am i missing anything..after this i feel i can add more of ME into the track

tracatak
06-12-2007, 11:29 PM
on insert 1 should i place PEAK CONTROLLER > eq>

basically does it matter where i place PEAK CONTROLLER will that effect it (in the chain of command)

same question with FRUITY BALANCE on insert 2 ..should it be on top?

thanks

Barely Human
07-12-2007, 12:01 AM
The best way to figure iot out is to understand what the plugins do, then you can make your own decisions on where you want to place them in the chain. There is no definative way to place them.

The peak controller takes the amplitude of the input source, and uses that data to control the parameter you link it to. If you eq before the peak controller, then you will effect the input sound to the controller, so this can change the way the pump acts. If you EQ after, then it will not effect the pump, but it will effect the kick.

I usually use 2 kicks, one with the peak controller on, with mute enabled, and then the other kick grouped in with the bass. I do this so i can use 1 patteren for the pump all the way through the track easilly if i want to.

You can also put the peak controller on a send and use the mute. This will have a slightly different effect.

Its all subjective, and its best to really understand what the plugs are doing so that you can make an informed choice of what to do with your sounds. Remember, over proccessing can be one of the worst things you can do. Pick good sounds in the first place and you will make tracks cleaner, and quicker than trying to shape something that doesnt quite fit in the track by adding loads of plugs to it.

danielmarshall
07-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Don't forget that you can also use the Envelope controller instead of a Peak controller and shape the curve exactly to your liking.

278d7e64a374de26f==