PDA

View Full Version : Analog vs Digital

dirty_bass
05-12-2007, 01:50 AM
A very interesting test done at Londons British Grove Studios by the Music Producers Guild (I`m a member, worth joining by the way), comparing analog and digital recording in a pro environment.

Think you know which is better?

Watch the whole video, even the big boy pro`s find it difficult to decide.

http://www.recordproduction.com/mpg-event-june05-video1.html

Si the Sigh
05-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Interesting...

Watching now.

05-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Very interesting material.
And i'm shocked.

:hissyfit:

dirty_bass
06-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Indeed.
So can we have no more whining about which is better.

massplanck
06-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Analog.

DannyBlack
06-12-2007, 03:32 PM
it is all down to individual perception.

stjohn
06-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Analog.

like the virus?

stjohn
06-12-2007, 04:01 PM
good video! but i still think it is inconclusive.

somethings sound better in digital than its counteparts in the analogue realm and vice versa

rhythmtech
06-12-2007, 04:42 PM
y do people try to compare two differant sounds? they each have their place in production!

SlavikSvensk
06-12-2007, 04:52 PM
correct me if i;m wrong, but isn't the point of this kind of basic? depends on the quality of both recordings and how well the analog recording has been preserved.

dirty_bass
06-12-2007, 06:05 PM
correct me if i;m wrong, but isn't the point of this kind of basic? depends on the quality of both recordings and how well the analog recording has been preserved.

The quality of the recording is not in question here.
This project was done by some of the best in the industry.
The experiment continues, and is by no means conclusive, the Guild is doing this as part of ongoing research, but first results were shocking for all.

It`s now an issue of subjectivity.

I merely posted it here to kind of point out that the argument is no longer relevant, it`s just a matter of personal taste now.

stjohn
06-12-2007, 07:35 PM
tis an interesting video and research defintely.

what is this Radar system? ive never really heard much about it.

RDR
06-12-2007, 09:47 PM
A high end Professional 24 track+ recording system, widely used in the industry

Get yourself a subscription to Audio Media magazine..

NOW that is an education in bad ass recording gear.

not the guff that passes for 'Production Gear' in low brow magazines of ill repute.

I've been getting the magazine for 3 years now and in all that time ive NEVER seen even the slightest wiff of an argument about which is better because when you get above a certain level vis-a-vis production, no-one really cares very much because the systems you are using are WAy WAy WAY beyond that.

I will tell you what i do hate, this argument.. its bollocks.

and for one reason only. A microphone is analog, a DAW is digital. they work perfectly together.

SlavikSvensk
07-12-2007, 03:48 AM
i just don't really see the point beyond "digital technology has gotten to the point where most human ears can't tell the signal is not analog."

was always bound to happen

dirty_bass
07-12-2007, 10:43 AM
That is the entire point
But basically there are huge arguments within the professsional music community over this subject, with wild and outlandish stories that effect the business of many studios.
This project will set the record straight.
What other points did you expect?

SlavikSvensk
07-12-2007, 03:20 PM
isn't that sort of just dealing with paleo-engineers though? anyone who knows how the technology works knew it was inevitable.

dirty_bass
07-12-2007, 04:00 PM
I think you are completely missing the point.
This is about attempting to solve a long running debate running within production circles, as well as in this place as well.
Sure I myself saw this happening a long time ago, but a lot of people, those pro`s in question in the video for example, weren`t expecting it at all.

SlavikSvensk
07-12-2007, 04:08 PM
i guess i'm just surprised people would still claim that digital recordings can't end up indistinguishable from analog ones. especially for those above age 20 who have already lost significant ability to hear high frequencies. 10 years ago maybe, but homeboys need to brush up on their acoustics and get with the times

dirty_bass
07-12-2007, 05:06 PM
You obviously don`t spend enough time reading threrads in this place then.

SlavikSvensk
07-12-2007, 05:43 PM
that's probably right. too many "vinyl vs mp3" and "this track is bangin" threads for my taste in recent years.

278d7e64a374de26f==