PDA

View Full Version : chords?

mister badtouch
06-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Just a quick question about chords...

Not sure if this is exactly the right place to put this topic, so apologies if I'm wasting anyone's time......but......

Listening to my old acids records has inspired me to be creative and try to make some acid techno tunes. I'm just wondering what chords are used to get a 'suf' style trance sound? I'm a complete amateur at music production, and so any help would save hours of randomly pressing keyboard notes and finding that everything sounds out of tune.

rhythmtech
06-12-2007, 04:14 PM
none :-)

just fiddle about with the notes till its sounds either dark or trippy :-)

remember all the best music is experimentation!

acidchild
06-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Look up Chord charts on the web. And play around with different ones until you find one that fits.

rhythmtech
07-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Look up Chord charts on the web. And play around with different ones until you find one that fits.

bah... experimentation is the key :xbiggrin:

acidchild
07-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Yes, which is why i say play around with different chords. You can't just hit odd keys and hope it sounds well. And not all chords are going to fit. Experimentation isn't ALWAYS the answer.

Aratron
07-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Yes, which is why i say play around with different chords. You can't just hit odd keys and hope it sounds well. And not all chords are going to fit. Experimentation isn't ALWAYS the answer.

like Les Dawson playing the piano badly. i guess you must be expert at all the chords before experimenting with them

rhythmtech
07-12-2007, 10:25 AM

but why stick to "recognised chords".. you're using a step sequencer... the more discortdant the better!!! just play around for an hour and have fun with it :xsmile:

unless you wanna maki8ng something NICE like acperience (classic as it was)

acidchild
07-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Learning them will take him where he wants to go faster than just blindly hitting keys. But if that's what he wants to do, go for it. Nothing is written in stone. There are no rules, just guidelines. I was giving one of them. If one wants to KNOW about chords, one LEARNS them. Or at least, learns what chords work at the time.

rhythmtech
07-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Learning them will take him where he wants to go faster than just blindly hitting keys. But if that's what he wants to do, go for it. Nothing is written in stone. There are no rules, just guidelines. I was giving one of them. If one wants to KNOW about chords, one LEARNS them. Or at least, learns what chords work at the time.

well after 10 years of piano and guitar i do know my chords.. but i also know that i throw them out the window when it comes to techno.. unless i want to make something lush and rich.

im not saying use crazy scales.. but you certainly shouldnt stick to just majors or minors

acidchild
07-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Trance usually equals "recognized chords" =o]

rhythmtech
07-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Trance usually equals "recognized chords" =o]

which is why we all know that trance is for pixies and social degenerates :xbiggrin:

acidchild
07-12-2007, 10:33 AM
What about the "Tritone"?

mister badtouch
07-12-2007, 10:40 PM
all good points.....

I really just want to make an early 'stay up forever' style acid/trance sounding tune. I gotta say, it's a lot harder than I thought it would be.
I'm guessing that there are a few standard chords which are used to get the trance sound? ? I brought a chord book today, and I've been going through it trying various chords, but nothing sounds quite right. There must be an easier way of trancing up a tune???

acidchild
08-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Throwing chords in a track won't trance it up. Listen to the other elements within the track. Are there 16th note sequences? What kind of Bassline is it? Etc etc... If you really want to do some trance, i believe the big chord is a Major 5th. But don't quote me =o]

278d7e64a374de26f==