PDA

View Full Version : running laptop and pc together

rhythmtech
06-12-2007, 05:16 PM
i want to use my laptop to run some more cpu intensive vsti but route them into cubase on my pc..

can this be doene and how?

SlimboyPhatt
06-12-2007, 05:27 PM
I know it can be done using two copies of SX.

But as far as im aware you need an s/pdif i/o on each, and use cubase's built in system link so they talk to each other.

I'd go into it further but im just about to finish work.

Search cubase system link on google. Should find loads of info

TechMouse
06-12-2007, 06:35 PM
You'll need a VSTi host like Steinberg VRack.

I think there is some funky technology for managing this kind of crap over ethernet (steaming the audio too) but I forget the name.

rhythmtech
06-12-2007, 07:05 PM
ive got v rack.. now im just hoping tht i can run it from a usb (laptop) to midi interface (saouncard)

eyeswithoutaface
06-12-2007, 07:58 PM
i'd invest in doubling up my RAM instead to be honest, it's not too expensive these days and much easier in the long run?

rhythmtech
06-12-2007, 08:01 PM
i'd invest in doubling up my RAM instead to be honest, it's not too expensive these days and much easier in the long run?
but ive already got a 3 ghx laptop that only gets used for gigs!!!

eyeswithoutaface
06-12-2007, 08:14 PM
well yeah good point, but for the effort involved i personally would just invest in bumping up my main production machine and keep my laptop just for gigs like you say, knowing my luck i'd run into all sorts of niggling problems trying to sync my laptop to my main machine just to use it to run a few VST, much rather just stick another gig of ram in the machine

RDR
06-12-2007, 09:48 PM
The program you are looking for is FX teleport.

PS... from the reports i've seen system link is a pain in the arse.

Logic uses nodes, you can have multiple mahcines connected each running as a node over gigbit ethernet... and it works REALLY well.

xfive
06-12-2007, 10:03 PM
well yeah good point, but for the effort involved i personally would just invest in bumping up my main production machine and keep my laptop just for gigs like you say, knowing my luck i'd run into all sorts of niggling problems trying to sync my laptop to my main machine just to use it to run a few VST, much rather just stick another gig of ram in the machine

Yeah but ram doesn't really help with cpu-bound tasks like plugins..
It would only really help if you are running a big sampler with a huge library that needs to all be loaded into ram at once.

rhythmtech
07-12-2007, 07:27 AM
Yeah but ram doesn't really help with cpu-bound tasks like plugins..
It would only really help if you are running a big sampler with a huge library that needs to all be loaded into ram at once.

exactly.. im running synths like arturia syuff which are cpu hogs!!!!!

eyeswithoutaface
07-12-2007, 10:33 AM
ahh right, i always thought they were more memory-bounce than CPU

saying that, i use Arturia stuff extensively and ive never found them to be that bad at all in hogging CPU

the nodes are a good option for Logic, the college i went too had a network like this over ethernet, worked a treat

MARK ANXIOUS
07-12-2007, 03:10 PM
what i tend to do with the lappy in the studio is hook it up via midi clock so that either me or chrissi can be messing around over the top whilst knocking ideas off each other, then, once you've found something you like, just record it into the main pc. works really nice and means we can both be fiddling with ableton or cubase on seperate systems...

rhythmtech
10-12-2007, 12:42 PM
The program you are looking for is FX teleport.

best program ever... im now running 6 ghz processer and 3 gigs ram :xsmile:

cheers for that chris!!!!!

278d7e64a374de26f==