PDA

View Full Version : Siege - Quatermass (unfinished)

Siege
08-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Started this a bit back,..but didnt get round to finishing it.
Went for something a bit different.. sorta broken,melodic thing with some scratching in there...though ive tried to do it so it fits in the trk.
Mixdown needs some work,as well as a few other things adding in there too i think.
Feedback of any sort mucho appreciated.
cheers
http://213.129.73.14/members/my_tracks/audio/DT_ACF36067289610.mp3

xfive
10-12-2007, 04:12 AM
This is pretty nice. I'd reckon a clean up as you said, will serve it well.
The melodic part toward the end could maybe use a different patch... perhaps something a bit more dirty.
Try to get the bass lower as well - that would give it some umph.

Liking it so far

p_brane
11-12-2007, 08:29 PM
fantastic stuff

a bit of a clean up aside, this track is brimming with potential, whats there is top notch stuff. Moody, dark and the scratching sounds cool.

i love this sort of stuff:)

Jay Pace
13-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Nice atmospheric stuff dude, interesting rhythmic elements and development in your percussion.

Like the scratching as well, wasn't expecting that! Works really well. Would bring the sounds a little bit more forward in the mix and make them a bit dryer as well, sounding bit too verbed and far back to my ears.

Melodic elements are nice, give the track an unusual direction after the scratch-fest that preceded. Think the synth sound could be a bit more prominent and maybe a bit wider, fill up the space a little more.

Its a nice balanced mix to my ears, could use a touch more sub though I reckon. The kicks could go a lot lower, I always thinks that kicks when they're not doing typical 4/4 stuff can really afford to power through and punctuate the track. Maybe a tickle more sub or another layered subby sound to go under your kick to beef up the floor.

Good work mate

Siege
17-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks for ur comments guys....yeah,the bottom end can go lower, il sort that.
Think il get this one finished.

cheers

opuswerk
21-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Wasn't excpecting this,
but it's heavy. as said th low end takes a lot of space and could be lowered to let the other elements breath a bit.
I really like your drum sounds and the atmospheres.

Definitely holds a lot of potential!!

platform1
24-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Lush track mate took an instant liking to this track.. it captured my attention in the first couple bars.

Cant comment on production as im on pc speakers but really loving the sounds

BRADLEE
26-12-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm really loving it so far Cal. Quite nice...Paddish synth reminds me of some oriental movie perhaps...Just love the feel of the tune overall so far man. And homie, I love the cuts..Like a lost art within tekno today. Personally man, I could chill to this all night long. Thanks for sharing it Cal.

Siege
30-12-2007, 02:06 AM
Thanks for your replies guys....glad u like it. ;)

force
30-12-2007, 01:06 PM
A fine, fine track indeed!

K Front
06-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Nice, really like this track dude.. Great atmosphere to it.. Im into the scratching too, sits well.

Great stuff :)

Siege
10-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Cheers mate....left this for time being as im on something else,but i will clean it up and finish.

Little_Fella!
11-01-2008, 05:46 AM
Yeah, I enjoyed this one too... it does have a good feel to it and pulling off the scratching is a good move and done really well by not over cooking...

This could run alongside some sort of movie theme and will certainly appeal to a broader audience...:dance:

dirty_bass
11-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Love this track, great power in the low end carries it through nicely, and it has a good movie or computer game quality to it.

Overall I`d say the weight of the track leans too much towards the bottom end though.
Those kicks are very powerful and the sub nicely weighted, but nothing balances against them.
The hats are very very thin, and although crisp, lack weight to play off the kicks.
Same with the mid range, there`s nothing of equal weight to balance against the bottom end.

I always look at a mix like a see-saw.
The true mid frequency being the pivot. Then you look at the sounds each side of this mid point, and look for their counterpoint on the other side to provide balance.

It`s not just an issue of volume, but the size, or freuency coverage of the sounds.

at about 3:48 the beep rigg comes in and these are the only sounds with the weight and volume that fit with the kicks.

My advice here, is to push the mid range sounds more to the front of the mix.
Either add, or alter one of the mid high sounds (with compression and EQ) so that it has more weight and impact, and then maybe compress the top end a touch, and take down some of the high pass on the top end sounds so they have more weight.

Once this tune is all balanced properly it will be a killer, it`s just a matter of final details.

Siege
12-01-2008, 11:27 AM
cheers little fella:) and thanks for that Steve...yeah needs work as uve mentioned...started writing this quite a while back..hence the thin topend,eqing etc..productions improved a lot since then as u know,so il go back to it and adresse the pointers uve mentioned..get it more balanced out.
Glad u like it..encouraging words! ;)

opuswerk
17-01-2008, 09:53 AM
feeling the vibe of the track a lot. I wasn't expectin such a thing on this forum. reall iek it. The comments posted above said everything i guess. Although i think the percussion could do with some more variations, especially the hihats. they seem to be playing the same pattern during the whole track.
Loving the scratchy sounds though. :)
Other than that its a really cool track.

Siege
18-01-2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks for listening mate...yeah, a few little variations with the hat patterns here n there is something i was planning on doing at some point...bit more movement.

robin m
24-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Hell yes :-)

This has the makings of a killer. Love those synths, it's all about those ambient noises... the scratching works really well too - it seems to be very difficult to work identifiable scratching into a techno track and not have the whole thing turn into a cheesefest but I'd say you've nailed it.

Tweak the production as suggested by the experts and you've got a top notch track - and one with a very different-to-the-norm sound to it to boot, which earns you double points in my eyes. :cool:

Siege
24-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks man ;) yeah, ur right about using scratching in a trk...thats why i wanted it to fit as a part of the tune more,instead of just blatant scratching over the top... im happy with it, just gotta sort the production as said.
thanks for your feedback ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==