PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and production questions!

Lokito303
16-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Hello there fellow BOA Family!

i've been an addicted learner from this amazing community, and now i feel at home enough to start talking! i readed all posts since page 95 and i'm going to read'em 10x more :) soon i'll make a big THANK YOU list for all you old school masters here that helped and shared knowledge all these years (you know who you are!) for people into electronic music production.

So now it's time to start bothering you guys! hehehe

1> Can anyone recommend me an very good, simple and real time effective pitch shifting VST (if anything like this exists?) if it can't be a simple one, be a complex and headachey one! Ableton's stretch engine isn't good enough, though some other hosts use the Pro Version of Elastic Audio PitchStretching Engine, Ableton use it's lite version so isn't good enough it sounds crappy to re-pitch stuff. I've read that melodyne is very good on this feature, but melodyne is a stand-alone app isn't it? Also ableton has the granular delay with a pitchshifting function too but it's too basic.. i can't shift the signal 100% wet, the original dry sound stays there anyway (i tested with my microphone doing some crazy vocals for a podcast.) even with the signal on 100% wet, i dunno why my voice stays dry on the background and also, this machine's effect itself sounds crappy.

2> i'm looking for advice into making really greasy, reesy, and liquid synths (dunno how to call this) think like the synths from prodigy - poison, or crystal method - busy child, stuff like that, and some of prodigy's earlier stuff, crystal sounding synths that feels "liquid".

3> ok sorry i'm being a real pain in the ass now hehehe but i really need some advanced tips on synthesizing kickdrums. I'm using ableton's operator for that but he sounds too "digital" it doesn't have that character and so on, maybe some analog based stuff for FM Synthesis? I know that you can shape and enhance operator with some processors and colorful stuff but i don't think i will do the good stuff with it, maybe i'm really wrong but, worth trying something different. Any advanceds tips (even headachey ones) on synthesizing kickdrums is more than welcome! Since i started synthesizing my kicks i've found what've looking for in years, even with crappy texture and crappy sounding kicks, they have the attack, body, presence and they are rounded etc, they have the thing i was looking for all the time. So i really wanna go deep here till i can more naturally reach the kind of kicks that i like. I'm very neurotic about this, i think i'm starting to hear synthesed kicks and normal sampled\comercial kicks in tracks and discerning them (O_o) that's just crazy!

So that's it for now, sorry for the torture but it's for the greater good! hehehe
More annoying questions coming soon!

South Brazil sends a *CLAP* for ya!

ps: sorry for my bad english!

rhythmtech
16-12-2007, 10:44 AM
1. try re-wiring sony acid. its magic for plain audio manipulation.

2. korg korg korg korg. ;-)

3. there's plenty of synths out there that can sythesize a kick but check out the starplugs drumsynth. the kick has got to go the lowest, dirtiest sub kicks ive heard and is easily manipulated into anything else.

sorry for the short answers but its early

B

Elvio Neto
16-12-2007, 01:51 PM
bemvindo ao forum Lokito303 ;)

i think rhythmtech say it all

and some of the sound you want to make can be done using some fx vst´s (just test some vst fx in your synths and drums , try to be creative)

um abraço , e bom techno ;)

Lokito303
16-12-2007, 10:16 PM
tks for the tips guys! will look more into it ;]

Rhythmtech, couldn't find Starplugs Drumsynth on their webpage, but there is a product called "Hammer" i guess it's a sucessor to Drumsynth? I'm testing the Hammer out but i'm not liking the results, it's very simple and not tweakable as operator and sounds limited. It's like a Drumazon but with a few more tweaky details.. But it's a solid tool also if you know what u need it for ;] but for what i'm after it just won't do it ;|

And also, sorry every1! i was wrong about melodyne, it is a stand alone app and there's also a vst plugin version of it! I will give a try also to re-pitch\strech stuff within ableton.

BloodStar
17-12-2007, 10:29 AM
try Waldorf Attack for drums, kicks, etc

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/106.html

278d7e64a374de26f==