PDA

View Full Version : Hardware setup

ritaheed
21-12-2007, 11:29 AM
alrite peeps

need sum advice on how 2set up some hardware

just recently started to buy gear to get the production up and running....

setup will be by january

: jomox mbase 01 (bass drum module)
: waldorf blofield synth module
: korg microkontrol
: korg electrible esx-1
: laptop
motu 828

no got an external mixer, gna get ma hardware first, just unsure how to link everything up...

a know tht ma microkontrol will need to trigger the sounds of the mbase and the waldorf but how and in what order?? the mbases and the waldorf both have midi in and out but no thru.....

and were would the electribe fit in.....

cheers guy just wanna get a head start for when my gear comes!!!

ritaheed
23-12-2007, 07:00 AM
no one???

tekara
24-12-2007, 05:17 AM
There are countless ways of hooking up your equipment depending on what it is that you want to do. Do you plan on using the waldorf or electribe for any midi activity or do you only plan on using the microcontrol?

how many outs does the mbase have? From my understanding, its strictly a drum machine with one kick right? Is it mono or stereo?

Assuming that is the case, I would send each stereo pair on the mbase, waldorf synth, and elektribe to the ins on the 828. That will use up 6 ins already leaving you 2 left.

Connect the 828 through Firewire to the laptop. Connect the speaker monitors to the 828. Connect your midi controller to the computer, open up the software and make the appropriate setting adjustments (ie; setup the busses for the waldorf and elektribe so you can monitor the sounds).

that's pretty much how I would connect it. Its pretty straightforward, but having said that, others will have a different way of connecting things.

From my understanding, the 828 already acts as a mixer so you dont really need a mixing desk (the 828 also has a software mixer that comes installed with the software so you can track your monitoring inside the computer).

Ohh also, a word of advice on the 828. Make sure you always turn your speakers on last when firing up the 828, and turn off the monitors first when firing switching off the 828.

Ive had a couple of friends whove always blew out their monitors because the 828 makes a massive cracking noise when you switch it on/off when the monitors are still turned on.

Hope that helps.

alrite peeps

need sum advice on how 2set up some hardware

just recently started to buy gear to get the production up and running....

setup will be by january

: jomox mbase 01 (bass drum module)
: waldorf blofield synth module
: korg microkontrol
: korg electrible esx-1
: laptop
motu 828

no got an external mixer, gna get ma hardware first, just unsure how to link everything up...

a know tht ma microkontrol will need to trigger the sounds of the mbase and the waldorf but how and in what order?? the mbases and the waldorf both have midi in and out but no thru.....

and were would the electribe fit in.....

cheers guy just wanna get a head start for when my gear comes!!!

ritaheed
24-12-2007, 07:22 AM
alrite mate

when u say "using the waldorf and electribe for midi activity" do you mean tweaking the gear as it gets recorded e.g using the filter on the electribe and recording it?? if thts what you mean then yes.....dont think the waldorfs got a midi out tho from what i read....

the mbase is mono and has a midi out and an audio out.....

tht makes sense wht u said by connectin it up cheers....doesnt leave alot of ins left on the 828 tho.....

another way to connect it up could be just to send each output of the hardware to one input in the 828?? cause am plannin on gettin more hardware....ths wouldnt mean tht each hardware sound would come thru one speaker would it??

tekara
26-12-2007, 06:43 AM
There will be gear that will have lots of outs + a master out.

It all depends on what you want to do. For example, I used to have a tr909 that I would like to send the individual outs to the ins on the motu 828, but since the 909 has something like 9 seperate outs, you can already see that i would not have enough ins on the audio interface. You have to make up your mind if you want to just connect the master outs on the gear to the motu, or you want to seperate each sound.

An option for not having enough ins is to get a patchbay, but i don't recommend that to anyone who is just starting to get hardware gear now. It works, but it can be a fuss.

alrite mate

when u say "using the waldorf and electribe for midi activity" do you mean tweaking the gear as it gets recorded e.g using the filter on the electribe and recording it?? if thts what you mean then yes.....dont think the waldorfs got a midi out tho from what i read....

the mbase is mono and has a midi out and an audio out.....

tht makes sense wht u said by connectin it up cheers....doesnt leave alot of ins left on the 828 tho.....

another way to connect it up could be just to send each output of the hardware to one input in the 828?? cause am plannin on gettin more hardware....ths wouldnt mean tht each hardware sound would come thru one speaker would it??

278d7e64a374de26f==