PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Gear

yellaman
24-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Does any one use outboard comps/eq's/effects's/vintage stuff as part of their productions and for what reasons??

I wanna spend a couple grand this year on a few bits so i want to investigate this area and im sure the thread will help others out in their search for sound..!

loopdon
24-12-2007, 10:39 PM
I have an electrix filterfactory and a jomox xbase 09 (with a mod that still needs to be soldered in) and a cheap little alesis comp. Haven`t really ever used any of those in a production yet. Still planning to do so, though, if i ever manage to build myself a nice little studio. I`d love an analogue synth like the dave smith evolver... but today there is no real need to use any hardware or only hardware. And harware is feckin expensive. :Yes:

yellaman
24-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Why havnt you used them in your music? Why would you choose the evolver?
Yep hardware is soooooo pricey!! but so many people swear by it.. but ive noticed that many people say that for electronic music it doesnt really matter if you dont use hardware at all.. is it because rather than physically recording audio it is generated inside the cpu etc and therefore doesnt need hardware or ..?? wouldnt it be a benefit to electronic music to pass through a tube or a valve at some point during its creation?? thanks LOOPDON

ritaheed
25-12-2007, 06:00 AM
from wot ave heard it is possible to make gd tunes from software but for me a can hear the difference with hardware.....one example tht really sticks out 4 me is the flying lyrinkis from scotland who use alot of hardware.....there stuff is just from another planet...OMG !!! there live sets send u craaaazy!! so clean, so precise, soooo goood!! but at the same time peeps like dolphin and the teknoist (hardcore techo) only use software and there stuff is the ****in bomb!! am currently startin 2 build a studio and so far ive bought a jomox mbase 01, an electrible esx1, a waldprf blofielld (on the way) and lookin 2 get an access virus!! plus a sherman filter bank!! (tht will b the bomb) a just feel its wot u like, wot ur n2.....if ur gna make gd music thn ur gna make gd music!!.....yeah hardware is expensive but u pay 4 wot u get...ma opinion!!!

defo check out the access virus and the sherman filter bank!! cant go wong wae th shiitt!!

Barely Human
25-12-2007, 09:09 AM
I really dont think it matters too much nowerdays. Much of the little benefit gained in sound quality by outboard gear for most producers is outweighed by the ease of use and speed of software. Personally I couldnt care if it may sound that 5% fatter, if its formulated tripe, its still crap.

loopdon
25-12-2007, 09:14 AM
I reckon one strength of hardware lies in its limitations. You can get sooo lost in the endless possibilties of software. Millions of plugins etc. With hardware i guess you will tend to learn the gear you have got inside out?! Plus it provides a more`hands on` feel. Possibly more than a midi controller can. I presume a combination of both worlds might be beneficial to the sound you produce. Best of both worlds kinda thing. Getting tons of hardware before you have ever produced/made music might not be the best idea, though.

ronlaboa
25-12-2007, 10:03 AM
any one used the sherman filter bank, whats it like, and does anyone find that vst distortion sounds lame compared to hardware?

ronlaboa
25-12-2007, 10:04 AM
has anyone used the sherman filter bank if so whats it like, and any one know any good software distortion cos all the ones ive tried sound lame compared to hardware

yellaman
25-12-2007, 06:32 PM
my theory would be to stay within the digital environment until mixdown.. then take your stems to a propa studio and mix thru a bad ass desk and group certain tracks and pass them thru some valves and verbs and then put the whole lot thru a bad ass limiter! DONE! ive personally found that this is my favourite way.. I like to add a layer of colour and depth during the actual mixdown using certain valve equipment like manley or uad even tubetechs.. also mix very loud and then very quite to attack the depth and dynamics from both angles..

I dont really consider things like the access virus hardware because yes even though its not exactly a cpu and it has a sound its still a digital machine just like a cpu.. its not voltage driven.

I sumtimes find that software has an endless pallete but limiting myself to certain applications puts things into perspective and allows me to work on MY sound rather than an endless variety of sounds and styles which i can easily lose my way.... Creating 2/3 template projects with my favourite vst's etc and assigning the synths'/eq's that i regularly use to a midi controller (Bitsream 3X) is my way of working.. this way i will have a couple of different templates as a launchpad for my usual styles... easy!

But i might buy a tubtech compressor or eq this year so i can experiment with different textures......

paulcortex
26-12-2007, 07:04 PM
i use an acer laptop based system running synapse orion plat 7 (and more than likely ableton live 7 soon)...with a focusrite saffire sound doohicky and occasionally playing live i use my roland TB 303 and TR 707 synced up with a BOSS se 700 multi effects (best kept secret in acid techno...well....it was till i just said it ;) )
never had many problems with timing...although a regular power source that wont trip my focusrite is always a major mission....nothing worse than the massive sound of....SILENCE! lol...it depends how lazy i am really...and i dont like humping the equivalent of a jean michel jarre gig around on the london public transport system LOL

Jay Pace
26-12-2007, 07:56 PM
has anyone used the sherman filter bank if so whats it like, and any one know any good software distortion cos all the ones ive tried sound lame compared to hardware

I've got one. Its amazing. A machine with a life of its own that brings something unpredictable and amazing to your sounds. All the crackle and hiss and overdrive and resonance are very much unique to the machine. I'm sure technically you could create some VST that would try and emulate it all, but i doubt theres one around. Nothing software based I've heard comes close. It can do disgusting distorted madness or subtle warmth and filtering.

Best machine I've ever bought, lynchpin of my studio :)

yellaman
27-12-2007, 09:08 PM
what do u use it on and how mate?? im thinkin i mite get one soon.. jus bought an RME FF400!! (wow..wow..wow..by the way!) so it wont be for a couple months but i need to know! what r they good 4 and why??

Jay Pace
28-12-2007, 01:31 AM
Really good for giving character to synths and drums. Its a mono unit so bear that in mind. Works best on simple synth sounds with harmonics to distort. Run a saw tooth wave through it and you can get quite astonishing results.

Depends what sort of stuff your into. I'm quite into classic synth sounds and drums, if you're into heavy loops and complex synth sounds it might not be the machine for you.

The website has lots of audio examples of what to expect:
http://www.sherman.be/

yellaman
29-12-2007, 11:12 PM
how would it affect basslines..? thats wot i fink i wuld use it for.. depth, roundness, punch and character is a b-line trademark for me!! thanks for ur help Jay..!

278d7e64a374de26f==