PDA

View Full Version : Umek "Telontol"

Sunil
10-12-2003, 01:46 AM
Just wanted to say his new one on Novamute is pretty rocking, nothing wrong with it at all. A couple of well playable tracks on there, if he made more of this stuff I certainly wouldn't be complaining..

killarava2day
10-12-2003, 08:35 AM
I found this track, hmm...quite boring really. I don't dig his music at all these days.

Each to their own though. Have you liked the stuff he's put out over the past three or so years Sunil?

jock
10-12-2003, 08:51 AM
Umek has lost it in my opinion, all his releases of late have sounded the same and been pretty boring.

nothing like Benozal and Lanicor!!!

The Overfiend
10-12-2003, 11:48 AM
Just wanted to say his new one on Novamute is pretty rocking, nothing wrong with it at all. A couple of well playable tracks on there, if he made more of this stuff I certainly wouldn't be complaining..

I liked this one as well.
A change from the usual recipe.

ampassasinbirmingham
10-12-2003, 11:57 AM
havnt liked umeks shit in a long while, but this is on a different edge. quite nice.

Esox Lucius
10-12-2003, 01:03 PM
just say NO to Poomek! :twisted:

Tony
10-12-2003, 02:19 PM
umeks 'audio' double pack on regis' zet label anyone??
still probably the hardest double pack i own. absolutely leathering!!!!
he did fall off when he bought, whatever synth it is that he canes all the time. then by the time recycled loops was born it was time for me to vomit blood. not digging that much of a disco sampling rip off i'm afraid.
feck knows what this sounds like though. i bet its very accessible. i can live without it already methinks.

basslinejunkie
10-12-2003, 03:24 PM
umek in my opinion is turd.everythin ive ever heard him produce is dead stale an boring,no energy at all.i havent heard this 1 on novamute though,so i cant give my opinion on it.

Sunil
10-12-2003, 07:11 PM
I found this track, hmm...quite boring really. I don't dig his music at all these days.

Each to their own though. Have you liked the stuff he's put out over the past three or so years Sunil?

I haven't been liking too much of his stuff over the last few years although Consumer Recreation is always worth a look, and he's had the odd decent remix.. the one on Geushky springs to mind. "The X EP" on Potential and "Lanicor" on CR are probably his two most memorable releases for me as I'm sure they are for a lot of people, the Zeta Reticula releases on Electrix I have warmed to as well..

MARKEG
10-12-2003, 07:26 PM
a huge fan of his older stuff (absense, colours, zet etc etc). not too keen on his tribal african sound but i have to say this novamute release was ok although slightly reminded me of a weird cross between progressive house and techno. those whoosy sounds are a bit laid back though sometimes when you hear them in a club.

DJZeMig_L
10-12-2003, 07:31 PM
Yeah Tony that Double pack is ace, also his early stuff on Absense and expire.. I have 2 say I like a lot of his stuff... I think he is very talented and he does nice stuff on loads of different styles... not many people can ace on stuff like housy tech, techno, hard techno, electro, almost transe...

I'll check this new 1!

Z

DJZeMig_L
10-12-2003, 07:36 PM
Answering 2 Tony.. synths he is an Studio Electronics Omega 2 and SE-1X... bloody powerfull :)

http://www.studioelectronics.com/products_synths.php

Z

Col
10-12-2003, 08:20 PM
i think umeks ok, i remember listening to a release of his a couple of weeks ago, and thinkin "this is really good" "quite original" but i admit that some of the stuff he knocks out is a little over the top (cheese!)

on the whole though i think hes capable of making some really nice, unique techno, and i honestly feel he gets un-deserved critiscm on occasions.

Buttman
10-12-2003, 08:27 PM
This release is not weak at all.. It seems the little balcan boy has been listening to some British Murder Boys.

miromiric.
10-12-2003, 10:41 PM
slovenians arent balcans, just for your information buttman.
only east of slovenia is balcans!

The Overfiend
11-12-2003, 12:36 AM
a huge fan of his older stuff (absense, colours, zet etc etc). not too keen on his tribal african sound but i have to say this novamute release was ok although slightly reminded me of a weird cross between progressive house and techno. those whoosy sounds are a bit laid back though sometimes when you hear them in a club.

I would'nt even consider the tribal african stuff he does good tribal or african stuff. that voices of africa crap was rediculously cheesy. So was lanicor. I maybe liked one of the mumps records as a tool. buut otherwise Umek nay from me. But he must be on the Uk jock now. So let him do it if he makes better stuff because of it. Not like there is a range of stuff coming out now anyways. Recycled is techno right now.

Sunil
11-12-2003, 12:44 AM
I would'nt even consider the tribal african stuff he does good tribal or african stuff. that voices of africa crap was rediculously cheesy. So was lanicor. I maybe liked one of the mumps records as a tool. buut otherwise Umek nay from me. But he must be on the Uk jock now. So let him do it if he makes better stuff because of it. Not like there is a range of stuff coming out now anyways. Recycled is techno right now.

"Lanicor" cheesy? Lanicor had one dirty groove happening, not a whiff of cheese imo!

The Overfiend
11-12-2003, 02:06 AM
Dude before this one release I thought he sucked all together.

Tony
11-12-2003, 03:33 PM
Answering 2 Tony.. synths he is an Studio Electronics Omega 2 and SE-1X... bloody powerfull :)

http://www.studioelectronics.com/products_synths.php

Z

ahaaa!! i dont doubt the power of these synths, but you must agree there have been MANY umek tunes with that same sounding riff in. gets a bit tiresome when we know he can really kick the shit out of it!!

DJZeMig_L
14-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Absolutly but then I guess this where we could reach the conclusion that umek is one inspired mutha... I mean sure he has donne a lot of stuff that sound the same and use the same sounds... BUT it was HIS sound HIS trade mark. Most "personal sounding" producers get cornered in they're "x sound", in this case x=Umek. But he has donne bleepy techno, trancy techno, distorted hard techno, minimal slovenian techno, Loopy/ Disco techno, "tribal" techno, cheesy techno, Elektro, housy house... In many of these styles he's excelled.. How many producers do we know that can do this sort of thing and spread tallent over so many different styles???
He has come a long way since his early ZET, Absense, Xpire stuff the time when He could get into Uk distribuiters... he was to Noisy 4 prime (he tolled me this one) then all of the suddent he was prime's new golden boy.. he rode the tribal thing but he was also one of the first 2 do it and shape it, the same goes for what is"accepted" has the start of shranz sound... Audio/ CLR recordings... same goes for the filter discoish recycled loop thing...

Why do people hate his so much I really can't figure! He is one class DJ, not many can mix the way he does... I hope all top DJs had half of his quality.
Most of what he plays and does today ain't really my cuppa but I think he as "musical personality" something lacking more and more 2 the new kids! He does his thing.

Lanicor.. It was a monster track and an Imediate Classic... Cheese lol... yeah 1 year later it was hammered by every1 so it got into pop status which generally means NOW IT'S CHEESY.. but there is 2 kinds of cheese ... something GOOD that went sour.. and something grown 2 b cheesy from ground level...

My 2 cents,

Z

StoQ
14-12-2003, 10:42 AM

i dont like umeks stuff at all, but agree that lanior is awesome. Most of his productions are boring, present no fresh sounds.

Adverse
14-12-2003, 03:00 PM

i dont like umeks stuff at all, but agree that lanior is awesome. Most of his productions are boring, present no fresh sounds.

as opposed to?

miromiric.
14-12-2003, 04:07 PM
umek is metrosexual.

The Overfiend
14-12-2003, 05:42 PM
http://drs.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=umek/v=2/l=IVS/*-http://brnovision.wz.cz/sgs/0112/umek.jpghttp://www.godskitchen.com/images/djs/umek1.jpg

jake
15-12-2003, 12:40 AM
he has some nice acidy stuff on ecom and other labels.. if he wants to make clubby techno then let em i just won't be at that club :rambo:

killarava2day
15-12-2003, 10:31 AM
Has anyone noticed that Umek plucks his eyebrows :shock:

Check out any half decent photo and look...my girlfriend noticed this actually.

WillGraney
15-12-2003, 04:34 PM

Surely better than having a giant monobrow though :doh:

http://www.monobrow.com/monobro/images/bro-24.jpg
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The Overfiend
15-12-2003, 07:19 PM

So do I :eh:

Inquisitor
15-12-2003, 08:43 PM
I personally dont like Tonatol that much althought i think it is much better then the usual disco/techhousey utter shit he has been puttin out over the last 3 years. I wouldnt agree that his music never had any energy or real value, i still love some of his releases on Absense and stuff like Spielzeug 7, but i'm afraid it'll be very hard for him to find a quality sound again.His sets have become not only boring but also annoying by now.
p.s. As Miro said Slovenians aint balcans...

Inquisitor
15-12-2003, 08:51 PM
Telontol not Tonatol *

killarava2day
16-12-2003, 11:24 AM

So do I :eh:

I must be well behind in the fashion stakes then :cry:

I don't know of any males who pluck their brows. I have a mate who shaves his pubes though...his cock looks really funny :shock:

miromiric.
16-12-2003, 02:03 PM
you dont shave your cock=? ask your bird what she thinks about the funky smell from the basement.

278d7e64a374de26f==