PDA

View Full Version : can the TR-707 transmit midi in real time?

mindgame
30-12-2007, 07:27 PM
ok..basicly, im looking to use a step sequencer as a midi controller..

i don twant to use the piano roll/manual writing..ive gotten a general controller (ox-8) to work but you gotta be really one key/musicly inclined or do alot of post recording editing..

i want to use a step sequencer in real time to record..it keeps it on time and i can alter it back and forth and bring things in and out as i want without having to worry about striking the keyboard keys exactly on beat..

i am using cubase and reason..
i HAVE got the ox-8 to go through cubase and into reason while recording the midi in cubase..though i want to avoid using the ox-8
i HAVE had success recording live in reason using the re-drum (where i can play with its step seq in real time while recording. but recording in reason is a pain in the butt...and from what i am aware, any of the real time midi control patterns recorded IN reason , wont transfer out to cubase if i just wanted to upload the reason midi file from reason to cubase after recording in reason..)
(dont mean to go on and on but looking to avoid recommendations telling me to try the above)

would i just be better off buying a cheap updated step sequencer that will transmit live midi changes in real time or can i do it with teh 707?

from everything i have been reading the 707 wont kick out midi changes in PLAY mode (which doesnt seem to allow live alterations to the sequencer ex: dropping a beat out or adding a few more in on the fly.)..ONLY record mode ..and while in record mode the 707 wont kick out midi to its midi out period..

any help?

thanks..

RDR
30-12-2007, 07:35 PM
I dont see why you cant use the 707, personally i would be more inclided to go for an MPC2000XL

mindgame
30-12-2007, 08:39 PM
being that is a bit more expensive then a cheap step seq and it doesent even seem to have a step seq built into it, i dont think that would help me much..
i have other machiens with pads..im looking to avoid that..but thank you..

RDR
31-12-2007, 06:45 AM
being that is a bit more expensive then a cheap step seq and it doesent even seem to have a step seq built into it, i dont think that would help me much..
i have other machiens with pads..im looking to avoid that..but thank you..

NOTE: I said 'Personally' :Yes:

How about the yamaha rm1x? shit sound module but excellent sequencer with multiple sequencing options.

mindgame
01-01-2008, 12:24 AM
ill check it out..thank you..
i was thinking about maybe a cheap electribe...i don tcare about teh sounds..dont plan on using them..i think they have step seq on them though..

TechMouse
02-01-2008, 09:56 AM
I've found the Electribe a bit flaky for controlling other stuff; the MIDI implementation is pretty nonstandard.

Just my experience though.

RDR
02-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Defo the RM1x i think, itll knock spots off the electribe

mindgame
02-01-2008, 05:38 PM
I've found the Electribe a bit flaky for controlling other stuff; the MIDI implementation is pretty nonstandard.

Just my experience though.

how so...??

TechMouse
02-01-2008, 05:47 PM
how so...??

None of the controls on the front use the standard MIDI cc numbers for anything, for a start. It's an absolute nightmare. Fine if you're just recording stuff to the sequencer to play back, but talking to anything else gets messy quickly.

mindgame
06-01-2008, 07:26 PM
the yamaha rm1x looks cool...more sturdy looking..ill look into the specs..hopefully it will allow for live tweaking the way i want..
and its cheap enough on E-bay.. :P

thanks..

mindgame
13-01-2008, 08:24 PM
checked out the RM1X..
seemed cool..
won one on ebay for 180.00 american..
cant wait to get it..
thanks for recommendations..

278d7e64a374de26f==