PDA

View Full Version : Techno epiphany

DannyBlack
04-01-2008, 03:26 PM
I was just watching that video Koma posted up and it suddenly struck me. I have lost my way with techno. I mean, i go to the record shop and pick out the fastest hardest tracks i can- i go home and play them only to feel no buzz and non of the goosebumpy feeling i used to get when i started mixing/listening to techno.

I have completely lost sight of what i wanted from it and why i love it in the first place.

I love Techno from minimal to hard. Im sick of division, tags, labels, genres, sub-genres and catagories. Im sick to death of not feeling butterflies when i hear a set by a wicked DJ because he/she has decided to go all bloody arty farty. Im sick to death of people bickering and fighting over something that really should bring us together. Im sick of critics. Im sick of this "my dick is bigger than your dick" mentality that seems so f*cking prevelent these days.

Enough is enough for me, time to get the fire back and start f*cking loving it the way i used too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So i guess im urging everybody to pull together one way or another and make this, 2008 the year of Techno.

Who's with me????????????????????????????????????????????????

...Dave...
04-01-2008, 03:38 PM
thats only coz everyone has a bigger dick than you danny:lol:

DannyBlack
04-01-2008, 04:14 PM
its a very respectable 2.5 inches i'll have you know, keeps me happy!

eyeswithoutaface
04-01-2008, 07:38 PM
the honeymoon is over mate that's all, your developing a high level of quality control and realising that unfortunately, there tends to me alot more chaff than wheat.

you'l notice this transitional period coincide with your production improving and thirst for knowledge also being quenched, these things are not unrelated. It happened to me, the more i got into making music and understanding what went into the music i was listening too, the more i realised that alot of the music actually doesnt hit the mark in terms of quality, never mind in terms of content

you'l find yourself getting into all kinds of other aspects of techno that are not predominently all club based, which is a common mistake for alot of people. Some people can learn to appreciate techno as a home listening experience that can bring on emotion, something that has actual substance outside of the, alot of the time, false sense of environment that being in a club can create.

if anything, now is when the real journey begin's matey

RDR
05-01-2008, 06:52 AM
the honeymoon is over mate that's all, your developing a high level of quality control and realising that unfortunately, there tends to me alot more chaff than wheat.

you'l notice this transitional period coincide with your production improving and thirst for knowledge also being quenched, these things are not unrelated. It happened to me, the more i got into making music and understanding what went into the music i was listening too, the more i realised that alot of the music actually doesnt hit the mark in terms of quality, never mind in terms of content

you'l find yourself getting into all kinds of other aspects of techno that are not predominently all club based, which is a common mistake for alot of people. Some people can learn to appreciate techno as a home listening experience that can bring on emotion, something that has actual substance outside of the, alot of the time, false sense of environment that being in a club can create.

+1

Its no bad thing, go and explore other genres and bring back what you learnt to your personal musical smorgasboard.

...Dave...
05-01-2008, 12:00 PM
thats because on the whole techno is shit.

but we all love it.

most genres of music are a million times better musically.

the good stuff if always done by people with a good understanding of other music.

99% of the time anyway

IMO

if we are all totally honest you know its true.

i love techno though:xwink:

DannyBlack
07-01-2008, 09:33 AM
I hear what ye're sayin and yeah it makes sense. Since i started making/butchering music i have noticed that now more than ever i am incredibly fussy about what i listen to. I find myself listening to more than just Dance music, im listening too acoustic stuff, metal, industrial (to a degree, the good stuff not that pretentious bollox) and some EBM and TBM.
Im listening to a lot more of Trent Reznor's works as in my opinion the guy is a genius!

ampassasinbirmingham
07-01-2008, 11:54 AM

Some of the gash i have in my collection is quite apaulling. At the time it seemed amazing!!

Techno is mainly about home listening for me. Since finishing uni and friends moving away etc and my girlfriend not liking techno at all, its pretty much just me listening at home. It started as a club thing but as the home listening comes in the tempo does seem to slow down more and more as time goes by. I remember when I first got into the scene and loving pounding dj rush sets and thinking, I don’t really understand all this Detroit nonsense, where as now it’s completely different. I can’t get enough of mills and hoods space music or May and Juans magical grooves. Over the last few years ive been trying more and more to source records from the roots of the music. Buying old euro R&s stuff, metroplex, early jakin house that’s so raw it hurts and even a few disco cuts!! Don’t get me wrong I still love lazy Saturday afternoon looking through old classic bangers and still loving them, but to me techno is about lots more than clubs.

Hows this for an analogy. TECHNO IS LIKE MARMITE or TRAINSPOTTING

a) you either love it or hate it

b) you don’t find to many people that are just into electronic music a little. No half measures, in it for the long haul!

Or maybe I’ve just been procrastinating in places like this for far to long and it clouds my judgement.

Anywho, ill raise a glass to electronic music!

and as eyes says, theres always so much out there, the journey really does begin now!!

Jay Pace
07-01-2008, 06:13 PM
I used to only listen to techno. Now I probably listen to other genres as much as techno, but I'm more discerning what I listen to.

So I whilst I still love all the early scorp releases I now get unexpectedly excited by the artic ****ing monkeys and rodrigo y gabriela (class btw). Then I go and make some techno with a head full of ideas. Or start doing new things with my existing records.

The deeper in you get the more discerning you get. Not a bad thing, just keep your tank topped up with quality from different areas

Darkmode
09-01-2008, 01:05 PM

I can see where you are coming from when you said that (all kinds of other aspects of techno that are not predominently all club based, which is a common mistake for alot of people.) As some people I have met through the years going to Techno events the majority of them 1st got in to Techno when they heard the club based stuff. But when they heard some of the early & latest Detroit Techno some of them would say thats shit it's not propa Techno. If you know what I mean?

Si the Sigh
09-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Change where you shop.

teknorich
09-01-2008, 01:53 PM
I used to listen to hardcore techno, and I was doing the same - always going harder, faster, nastier. Ended up listening to a whole load of speedcore and finally admitting that it just didn't do anything for me any more. 300BPM distorted noise is jst a watse of time...

That's when I started listening to Techno (Clarke, Mills etc). It ws slower, but still had the rough, robotic sound of the harder stuff, but was so much better produced and more interetsing.

You can't just headbang all day, eventually it makes you sick!!!

I dropped out of techno and into minimal (for home listening) but in the last 6 months, or year maybe I have been getting back into techno again, and really enjoying picking up where I left off. There is some quality techno around, and it's great to feel those vibes again!

For me, it was a matter of stopping the "harder/faster" mentality, and looking for better produced stuff, that's what re-ingited my love of the music!

TechMouse
09-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Everything has a lifespan.

You can't just to the same thing over and over and expect it to be as magical as it was forever.

You need fresh ideas otherwise you stagnate.

Little_Fella!
11-01-2008, 01:26 AM
There is certainly a level of mass conscienceness that has lost it's spark within Techno community, which seems to have come about because of the natural progression of things...

Lot's of factors over these last say six years have brought about the current creative climate, including obvious one's like changes in format and medium, the surge of commercially driven music, the music manafacturing processes, the ability to copy anything and the industry's attempts to defend itself - - sales are all over the shop - - the change in the clubbing climate from effects like the ban on smoking - half your crowd has disappeard outside for ciggy, which is a communal area where people may stay for half an hour chattin'...

Incentive to create is the main drive for innovation and the whole Dance music scene is suffering because it has quite naturally had to take a back seat...

This is where the die hards come in and as time progresses and the natural cycle comes back round, they are the one's who will catch the crest of the wave before the rest of the industry suddenly decides that this is the next thing to rape and pillage...:mrmyagi:

278d7e64a374de26f==