PDA

View Full Version : new monitors

p_brane
08-01-2008, 08:02 PM
just got some, this is the first mix down i've tried on em.

its probably not going to get finished, sounds a wee bit too familiar to me
(not sure where from though)

really eager to know how it sounds on other setups. mainly with regards to ze bass.

tried it in the car, needs a few tweeks.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ogip7n

Siege
10-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Server saying full....try again later

Little_Fella!
11-01-2008, 04:39 AM
Sounding ok on the shit speakers at work... nice and clear anyway

Nowt wrong with the familiarity aspect, perhaps variation of that strong hook, (perhaps a little loud in the mix too), would help as the percussion's fine...

dirty_bass
11-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Righto, well before I talk about this.
If you have new monitors, then don`t expect any decent results for a month or two.
Your ears will take time to tune in to the new sound.
Also your drivers will take time to wear in, so to speak.
Trying to finish a mix on new monitors will always be frustrating.

Spend a few weeks listening to lots and lots of music through them to tune your ears.

Anyway, after saying that the mix sounds good overall.
The bass is a little boomy in the high bass area, probably around 100hz or so.
This will sound ok on monitors but once on a rig, I think the bass might overpower the kick. A 2-3db cut away in the bass at about 80hz on a medium Q setting might help this.

I suspect this is just down to you not being used to the monitors, or you might have some room problems.

I get what you mean by familiar, there is something 2000 era techno about this, but that`s ok, if there is another main point of interest added to this rather than just the stabs, it could be a good solid stomper.

p_brane
11-01-2008, 02:48 PM
cheers for the feedback.

@DB - right...i ran an acending series of short sine waves through the monitors and have a major volume lift around the 100hz mark. which frankly is a real pain in the arse.

i'm very much aware of the fact that my ears are gonna have to adjust to these things, and that the drivers are gonna have to be worn in.

i'm also looking into sorting out some kind of room treatment.

bring it on!

dirty_bass
11-01-2008, 04:31 PM
@DB - right...i ran an acending series of short sine waves through the monitors and have a major volume lift around the 100hz mark. which frankly is a real pain in the arse.

wow, I`m impressed, I didn`t use a meter there, I just used my ears.
I guess all the ear training I am doing is paying off, my lugs are better than I thought.

p_brane
11-01-2008, 04:40 PM
wow, I`m impressed, I didn`t use a meter there, I just used my ears.
I guess all the ear training I am doing is paying off, my lugs are better than I thought.

what does this mean though really? what effect is it having on me mixing down?

surely in theory i will be removing too much of this freq to make it sound okay on this end. resulting in it being quieter in a decent monitoring environment, no?

dirty_bass
11-01-2008, 07:16 PM
well, if you are getting problems in this frequency on a regular basis, then you do need room correction, or RMC software.

as it`s 100hz there`s no real easy way to deal with this.
For a start are your monitors close to the wall? This may cause problems.
also if your sitting position is close to the dead centre of the room (and in most home studios, this is where you end up) then this will also be possibly the worst place to be.
you need to identify which areas need damping, so move around the room playing sines around the problem frequency area (when doing this, do it for each speaker separately, and then with both on). you should be able to get an idea of roughly which side of the room is the main reflector problem for the standing waves.
It may be your corners need bass traps, but you also might need to absorb bass energy on some flat walls as well.

There`s a really good website where you can download software, build a plan of your room and then send it to you, and they can advise on problem areas etc, but I forget the link.
I`ll try to find it.

However as an aside, if you listen to loads of music through your speakers (preferably a good mix of music, not just techno, which is pretty badly produced on average), eventually your ears will be able to tune out this problem anyway.

278d7e64a374de26f==