PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting amp to compensate for monitors

RDR
19-01-2008, 09:34 AM
This is a little embarrassing...

My monitors (Tannoys) are not bassy enough, does anyone think i could notch back on the bass a little on the amp to force me to raise the bass level to match and obviously the resultant output will be bassy enough...

???

loopdon
19-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Dunno if that's the best way. I would pobably do more A/Bing with records that have enuff bass and sound decent in a club + check with a spectrum analyzer as well.
Using something like voxengo curveeq or any other tool that offers eq snapshots (and maybe even spectral matching) as well can be very helpful.

Applying the eq matching/cloning won't necessarily produce an instant hit record eqed to perfection but it can tell you where you are way of. Then adjust accordingly.Fletcher-mundson syndrome might be worth looking into as well.

Hope this helps, my friend.

What you wanted to try might work as well. Or something like

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/NewsDisplay.php?Id=1003

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/

rhythmtech
19-01-2008, 09:57 AM
if you're monitors arent bassy enough then surely you should be gettin mixes that are bass heavy as your ears try to compensate?

RDR
19-01-2008, 12:14 PM
curse my early mornings

I meant that the monitors are producing bass, but the sound is a lie. I ran my mix through some Adam monitors and discovered that the bass was down on where i though it was.

Therefore notching back on the amp can mean i have to raise the level of bass to properly percieve it. The resultant output might be closer to the best, rather than no bass.

Its a cheap way of not buying monitors i can ill afford at the moment.

Curse my money situ. :(

A/Bing is what i already do, but its not the act, its the material that i find hard to come by...

HEY! there's an idea... ill make a post about it.

dirty_bass
19-01-2008, 02:39 PM
hmmm, Tannoys are ok.
I`d say just listen to more stuff, to learn you rmonitors properly.

RDR
19-01-2008, 03:51 PM
hmmm, Tannoys are ok.
I`d say just listen to more stuff, to learn you rmonitors properly.

aye... they are the consumer tannoys though..

same drivers as the reveals.. better looking box.

im running them off a high end kenwood amp with the direct line turned on.

BloodStar
20-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Learn how your mixes translated on other systems. try in your car, walkman,. etc. Then, I think you can mix almost right even your monitors lack in some area.

Barely Human
20-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Try looking in a junk yard for some wardrobes ;)

RDR
20-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Try looking in a junk yard for some wardrobes ;)

if i find some will you buy em Al?

;)

Thanks for the comments about learning different systems, sorry to be blunt, its a bit redundant really as i already knew that.

Im asking a bit deeper than this. Im trying to trick my own ears, and will the system i outlined actually work?

All positive comments are noted.

cheers ;)

dirty_bass
20-01-2008, 08:08 PM
There is no trick though mate.

Tannoy reveals are pretty good, standard nearfileds, and if what you have performs the same as them, then learning how stuff performs on then is the only way.

If you start pissing about with the tone balance on the amp then you may as well not use nearfields at all.

To do this correctly you would need to test your room with some RMC software, find out what the EQ curve on your amp is , and then adjest accordingly, but I really wouldn`t advise that at all.

Maybe try treating your room a bit?

supergroover
23-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Maybe you need to do something about your room accoustics.. They can seriously affect the way your music sounds. Check the souns on sound magazine online for some free articles about it.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec07/articles/acoustics.htm
good luck!

278d7e64a374de26f==