PDA

View Full Version : Studio Sub / Monitor Crossover & High Shelf

bblaze
19-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Soooooo..

I'm def under the impression that my setup is a little off.. I've got the KRK v5's and a KRK RP10 sub.. The Sub has the standard x-over knob and gain knob.. The Monitors have a High Shelf knob and gain..

Whats the proper way to make sure it's all set properly? I'm assuming most people are gonna say x-over at 80hz since that seems pretty much standard.. what about gains.. and the high shelf..

dirty_bass
19-01-2008, 02:41 PM
would need to read the manual and look at the curves.

I`d say, don`t use a sub anyway.
As soon as you start with all that mucking about with crossover cuts etc, you never get a good match unless you have spent a really decent bit of money on high end monitors and sub

bblaze
21-01-2008, 12:31 PM
ya i hear ya.. the 5 inch monitors just don't seem to cut it past like 50hz tho.. I guess i'll dig out the manuals.. U think a better way to go would be to just get something w/ a bigger cone? Event TR-8's or something like that..

dirty_bass
21-01-2008, 02:41 PM
ya i hear ya.. the 5 inch monitors just don't seem to cut it past like 50hz tho.. I guess i'll dig out the manuals.. U think a better way to go would be to just get something w/ a bigger cone? Event TR-8's or something like that..

Well, not necessarily a bigger cone, but a good low response.
Tr8`s do have a good rep, but it all depends.
What monitors are you using anyway?

Also I`m assuming you are working in dance music. Be aware that most club soundsystems don`t go below 50hz anyway.

SlimboyPhatt
21-01-2008, 04:31 PM
You could always get the JBL's and the JBL sub.

As this sets up the sub level and cross over for you.

I havent got the sub myself yet, due to lack of room, but even the smaller JBL's give me a crystal bass response. Obviously its not in your face, but thats the whole point ;)

Im sure Dirty Bass will agree with the quality of the JBL's

dirty_bass
21-01-2008, 05:14 PM
You could always get the JBL's and the JBL sub.

As this sets up the sub level and cross over for you.

I havent got the sub myself yet, due to lack of room, but even the smaller JBL's give me a crystal bass response. Obviously its not in your face, but thats the whole point ;)

Im sure Dirty Bass will agree with the quality of the JBL's

Well yes I would agree.
The bass response on the JBL`s is fantastic. Those big ports seem to stop tuning problems and pressure resonance.
Pared with the subs I imagine it would be great for 5.1 work, but don`t see the point of using them for dance music monitoring.
I would just go with some big midfield monitors if super big bass is what you are after.

bblaze
23-01-2008, 01:52 PM
KRK RP5's.. i may look into getting another set of something a little bigger..

278d7e64a374de26f==