PDA

View Full Version : Little Fella! - 'Back in the Day'

Little_Fella!
20-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Here is a track written to pop in to a 'Live' set for novelty factor and a bit of nostalgia... :cheese:

Have been through a period of lack of confidence in myself so just need a bit of a check on progress from you guys... pleases pleases

Have only spent a bit of time on this, hence it's simplicity, so any ideas on variations of lead sounds and definitely percussion,(as there is only one mid range and monotony lurks:runinja: ), will certainly help to finish it...

http://www.speedyshare.com/944597661.html

There is no compression or any processing at all over the whole mix... Thank you...:)

robin m
24-01-2008, 12:33 AM
Yeah this is definitely a good start... the synths aren't really my cup of tea but that's just a taste thing, they fit the track though and they'd definitely go down very well over a big system.

The hats seem a tad dry, some delay or distortion of some sort would probably fix that quite easily though. The kick could do with booming some more, like you say you've not compressed anything yet though so I'm sure you'll tweak it.

Definitely get what it's about though and all the ingredients are there for some big smiles on the dancefloor. The break on 3:20 I thought was particularly tasty.

Sounds of the oldschool indeed :dance:

Little_Fella!
26-01-2008, 05:39 AM
Cheers for the feedback there Robin... will scope the areas you've mentioned and work i a few more variations just to finish it off...:xsmile:

Not wanting this to be overly complicated as I am kinda emulating the style aswell as using old school sounds - - having listened and been in love with it 'back in the day' n not having made any myself, I would hope that i would have come up with this!! heh heh :xbiggrin:

Where are you in Brighto then coz we travel down quite regular there are the Blackbox/Club T.E.D. nights at The Volks and we know the folks down there... we are going today, as it happens, for Steve's D Bass birthday...

Linky... http://www.level-1.org.uk/showthread.php?t=1980

BRADLEE
26-01-2008, 06:05 AM
Man I eally like the idea overall homie. Sounds cool like the old days as you put it. What I really like about it is how it goes thru so many differant little stories. A bit more Bang Bang like Robin said would be nice though I recon.

robin m
26-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Where are you in Brighto then coz we travel down quite regular there are the Blackbox/Club T.E.D. nights at The Volks and we know the folks down there... we are going today, as it happens, for Steve's D Bass birthday...

Bloody typical... I would have been well up for this, but it so happens I'm headin off to London for the weekend in a few minutes :lol:

I missed the last black box due to a bout of food poisoning and was well gutted about it, still not seen the dirtybass live show though I've got no end of time for the sets I've heard. Bollox :grr:

xfive
30-01-2008, 05:07 AM
Good start mate - certainly captures an old school feel.
Definitely plenty of variation going on here.. maybe too much to consider it one track, but if its for a live set it doesn't really matter... it will work well.
Then just spruce up the mix a bit and compression/eq as you said, and you should be good to go :)

BloodStar
02-02-2008, 11:39 AM
hoy mate,. nice ideas in the track. i am really liking the main lead synth riff,. I tihnk you can develop it even more to be absolute killler. :o)
nice progress as the track goes,. more action in the background would be nice, some subtle ambient pads or textures. and also work on the breaks. i mean a few bars here and there before the breaks and edits. there is still place for new sounds.
as for the production, i think it will need some work as now the lead main lead seems to overpower the kick a bit.i would try to balance them, so they are working well together and then build other sounds around them. hope it make sense :)
loooking forward to next version. i hear there is some potential in there...

Little_Fella!
04-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah, that does make sense Vladsta and pinpointed areas that I have been thinking about, so thank you very much for your help there...

I will work on those areas mentioned when I finally get chance to get in front of mi computer that is!! heh heh :cool:

Little_Fella!
04-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Cheers for that too Chris... yeah the track is just for a 'Live' idea to have a bit of fun with - - tis not really DJ fodder, as you say...:cool:

Jay Pace
08-02-2008, 05:40 PM
hehe hoover tastic rave lead heaven! Had me smiling almost straight away

Think you need to rework the kick, its far too light. Needs more thud and more depth.

Maybe layer a deep sub under the kick, and then compress the kick itself to give it more punch. Have you eq'd away the low end on the kick? Sounds a bit thin.

Sounds a little thin overall, I think each of the synths would benefit from a bit of compression and a bit less widening. Might be an idea to see how much you can do in mono before applying the stereo effects.

This sounds like a mini live set to me! (typing as I listen) Which is cool, but it might even be worth making this into two tracks. Its got the old harcore layout of idea after idea after idea. Might be interesting to just focus on two ideas and have them play off each other, maybe make a couple more tracks out of the material. Could be fun to chuck in some old jungle loops or rave breaks, they'd fill the mix up and would complement the tone and the feel. Your missing snares, toms, claps etc - feels all kick and cymbals at the moment, be cool to thicken out the middle a bit with some crunchy loops.

Really good fun this one Ben nice work fella

judas_beast
10-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Wow, straight into a Hoover session! Nice. The kick, for me, is horrible. Sounds really ''my first drum machine'', sorry! I can imagine that Hoover line going off live! The whole track really does have that ''back in the day feel'', personally I'd love to see some of the old skool elements in a more contempory setting. I like the lots of little breaks. Agree with who ever said the hats are a bit static.

Live I can deffo see this doing the business. nice one.

Little_Fella!
17-02-2008, 03:30 AM
Thank yee there...

@Jay - I'll have a look at the kick as i think I lowered the boost on the kick generator... might just snaffle a warm sub kick and layer it in as you say...
On the compression side, I've left it so that I can be shown what to do rather than me just using the 'basic multi' pre-set on mi C4 - again...

Good idea on the jungle loops creating filler material, as i never normally use pre made loops, and they can be manipulated so that it's not just a 'push n shunt' convenience factor - - could be rather interesting and would definitely fill the gaping percussion gap and complement the tone...

I have thought about using the hoover element n setting that off against a worthy adversary (maybe the first synth), as I loved hoovers!! Cheers Johnny - - good stuff :cool:

Little_Fella!
17-02-2008, 03:40 AM
@ Judas Beast - Your right about the kick, although I suppose that back in the day it would have come from 'my first drum machine' - heh heh, that's funny that :cheese:

I understand your comment re contempory setting, and I agree... when you do this though you have to be ultra slick introducing old skool elements in to modern day structured techno or the slippery slope into gimmik factor can become rather difficult to negotiate... Cheers :cool:

platform1
17-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Quality mate.. reminds me of early prodigy... i used to love that stuff

Cant say anything more than has been said... need to change the kick (or some sorta 808 sub underneath it) and make the whole thing pump etc

but good work... as for the gimmik factor I prob would laugh (only to express my joy) if it was in a techno set.. but techno, in my opinion, shouldnt be taken that seriously.

Little_Fella!
07-03-2008, 07:09 AM
Quality mate.. reminds me of early prodigy... i used to love that stuff

Cant say anything more than has been said... need to change the kick (or some sorta 808 sub underneath it) and make the whole thing pump etc

but good work... as for the gimmik factor I prob would laugh (only to express my joy) if it was in a techno set.. but techno, in my opinion, shouldnt be taken that seriously.

Yeah, cheers for that... and a very good point to boot :cool:

278d7e64a374de26f==