PDA

View Full Version : ALESIS 620 M1 Active monitors

teknotika
31-01-2008, 10:45 PM
I have just byed a pair of them and I'm not so satisfied.
Anyone has the same and think the same or something is wrong with me?

Vegim

dirty_bass
31-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Well, I would agree.
Alesis monitors aren`t flat enough for nearfield monitoring. the do colour the mix a touch too much and are difficult in the bass area.
I wouldn`t recommend them at all, but then I know a lot of people who have put up with the misgivings of them, learned their "sound" and then gone on to do good mixes with them.

RDR
01-02-2008, 07:09 AM
I agree with that. They're odd monitors to work with but can yield excellent results.

remember that the design is based on one which won awards back when they first came out.

Getting on with your monitors doesnt happen overnight, it takes time to figure them out.:wink:

theledge
01-02-2008, 09:24 AM
had a pair of m1 active mkii's for years, until very recently

i loved them until i had to put them in a corner space near a wall

suddenly i appreciated all the comments i'd heard about them. not nearly so good and the bass was all over the place. so if you have chance to put them in the middle of a room, with nothing behind them, give that a try

teknotika
01-02-2008, 01:02 PM
had a pair of m1 active mkii's for years, until very recently

i loved them until i had to put them in a corner space near a wall

suddenly i appreciated all the comments i'd heard about them. not nearly so good and the bass was all over the place. so if you have chance to put them in the middle of a room, with nothing behind them, give that a try

Amazing results... the sound is great... little too far from me but I will handle as my studio is very small... Its totally different.

Thanks to all for opinions...

theledge
01-02-2008, 04:16 PM
nice one :)

neilried
04-02-2008, 03:42 PM
"had a pair of m1 active mkii's for years, until very recently"

Snap, I hated them from the word go, should have taken them back right away but was too lazy... Anyway they have now been replaced by some Dynaudio BM15a's and the difference is unbelievable, ok they were £1500 instead of £200, but they are 1000 fold better...

It used to take me ages (weeks) to get stuff to a playable state by cross refrencing on different systems but since getting these new bad boys Im churning em out in 1 session....

I know you gotta have the money in the first place to do it but cheaper speakers dont save you money they just waste time.... and time is money...

So do what i did, sell your alesis or take em back, get rid of anything you dont use in your studio, then if your still short sell your mum... You wont look back :)

rhythmtech
04-02-2008, 04:22 PM
gotta agree..

ditched my m1's for mackie hr824's.. now i rub myself up against them cause they are teh sex!

theledge
04-02-2008, 05:04 PM
well it's all very well ditching your m1 actives for mackie 824s or the bm15

they are unbelievable yes, but the price different here is what, £600 or something??? i would hope they are in a different league

I know of many records which have been made originally on far worse monitoring systems than the m1 actives

Monitoring is a personal thing, whatever works for you and if i could afford a pair of 824s I would be straight there, but otherwise you shouldnt disregard the m1's, they serve a purpose if you learn to use them properly

rhythmtech
04-02-2008, 05:15 PM
totally.. i had them for 4 years.. my first 4/5 (including the first 2 damged trax) releases were mixed on them.. but i got the mackies at a very good price and i felt it was time to upgrade

BloodStar
05-02-2008, 08:45 AM
go for some Adams or Dynaudio, instead. I had m1 actives for a few years and it was pain to do well balanced mix which will translate well on other systems. there is soemthing strange with bass, which sounds all over the place, no matter if the speakers are near by wall or in the middle of the room, also mid frequencies are somehow blured... Even they helped me with learning I wouldnt recommend them to anyone, tbh.
Go to your local shop and make a test listen on Adam A7. Not too big in the lowend area, but perfectly detailed from low-mids to hi-end. Real pleasure to mix on them..

neilried
05-02-2008, 11:00 AM
they are unbelievable yes, but the price different here is what, £600 or something??? i would hope they are in a different league

Think I paid £300 for my M1s a few years ago so was a £1300 jump in price for the BMs which I couldnt afford either... which is why Ive been pimpin my mum

278d7e64a374de26f==