PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Give A Shit About.......

davethedrummer
02-02-2008, 08:56 PM
last fm?
my space?

you are a proper muso/dj/whatever.... right?
are any of these "communities" worth getting involved in?
or is it a big pile of toss?

your thoughts please

I think it's toss today.....tomorrow i may feel differently , but i won't edit my posts to make you look stupid...............

......although i might make an exception for you acidtrash.

dan the acid man
02-02-2008, 08:58 PM
they're all a load of wank really aren't they.

All you need is a website to promote your stuff on if you wish to do so and that's it.

A.P.
02-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Yeah, i'd agree with Dan.

Apart from myspace is good because there's a lot of people that use it and will find your profile but i think a website is a lot better for promotion info an all that.

I'm thinkin of getting a website together myself.

Loop
02-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Its all good, i can listen to your latest tracks and i live in the arse end of no where. Allowing any kind of accessibility is good for anyone i rek. Now we have the power of any pr firm at your keyboard.

techno_smack
02-02-2008, 09:20 PM
ill tell u wat . hydraulix 17 is a side is a f22kin beast!

hope that helps

davethedrummer
02-02-2008, 09:32 PM
ill tell u wat . hydraulix 17 is a side is a f22kin beast!

hope that helps

not really no mate...

look what i mean is and i'm addressing everybody here, these sites take ages to keep updated etc etc ...
are they REALLY worth the time?
think about it...you have to get to grips with the interface and the HTML and all that crap only to find out everyones now on facebook or last FM

also , people send me links for myspace pages to go to all the time , but i don't because if i did i would be waiting for myspace pages to load for the rest off my life.
It's so slow!

and do those place's actually help you as a musician?
not just myspace but Last FM too
Does anybody really surf it?
or is it just full of musicians desperately trying to get into the limelight
me first ....no me....no me !!!

???

rhythmtech
02-02-2008, 09:35 PM
personally i think myspace is great fro free promotion and meeting people in he same scene..

possibly not for you henry as you're alreadfy established and the gigs are there.. but for people like me its invaluable..

i havent a clue how to do a "real" website so its the next best thing.. ive gotten quite a few gigs from it and quite a few releases aswell..

i guess it all depends on what you want or expect from it.

davethedrummer
02-02-2008, 09:38 PM
personally i think myspace is great fro free promotion and meeting people in he same scene..

possibly not for you henry as you're alreadfy established and the gigs are there.. but for people like me its invaluable..

i havent a clue how to do a "real" website so its the next best thing.. ive gotten quite a few gigs from it and quite a few releases aswell..

i guess it all depends on what you want or expect from it.

maybe maybe..hmmm
maybe i'm just fed up with constant typing and fiddling with computers and html and websites and trying to keep it alll up to date
i should go and dig a vegetable patch in my back garden.

rhythmtech
02-02-2008, 09:42 PM

or employ a pa? im sure you already have a driver for that rolls you were talking about a few months ago.. so a p.a. wouldnt stretch the fat bank balance to much? :wink:

davethedrummer
02-02-2008, 09:54 PM
or employ a pa? im sure you already have a driver for that rolls you were talking about a few months ago.. so a p.a. wouldnt stretch the fat bank balance to much? :wink:

ham rolls ......barry........ham rolls
not the other kind

dan the acid man
02-02-2008, 10:19 PM
not really no mate...

look what i mean is and i'm addressing everybody here, these sites take ages to keep updated etc etc ...
think about it...you have to get to grips with the interface and the HTML and all that crap only to find out everyones now on facebook or last FM

also , people send me links for myspace pages to go to all the time , but i don't because if i did i would be waiting for myspace pages to load for the rest off my life.
It's so slow!

???

exactly, thats why you just need a simple website, you can quickly edit with your latest info, your fans can quickly find out about your forthcoming plans without being blinded by flashing annoying gifs and everybody is happier.

Barely Human
03-02-2008, 01:42 AM
Deppends for me.

I find that myspace has brought music to me that i would never of heard simply because of the size of it and the way the freinds system works. Its made it easy for me to find other artists due to thier picture being on someone elses page. Yeah, the self promotion thing sucks sometimes, but not everyone using myspace is a attention seeking self promotiojn whore with only thier own interests at heart.

I think its good that people with very little web experience can have access to something like this for free. Just my 2p.

conflict
03-02-2008, 01:59 AM
myshpace is crap

whenever i look at peoples pages its just full of other people spamming there wall

hey check my mix or check my night

**** off mate, get a real job

:lol:

Honeey
03-02-2008, 02:07 AM
For me it has linked me up to a lot of local and International musicians that I would never had known about...more like a music community to me living all the way up here in Canada. I have a website too and like both. I keep the My Space page real simple and that helps :)

snooch
03-02-2008, 03:36 AM
last fm?

I listen to last fm and pandora, but not for techno. If I type in techno, it gives me everything from old Chris Leibing to David Guetta to Paul Van Dyk. It's way too random for serious research into specific sounds and sub-sub-genres of techno. I think it's more useful to type something broader like Punk or Reggae and use it as background noise. As an exploration tool? No.

Myspace isn't good for music for me. I find this site way more informative than Myspace. I'd rather invest and put energy into a forum and site such as this instead of a myspace page. Interactive exchange is way more of a viable info source than myspace or last fm in any case.

RDR
03-02-2008, 05:18 AM
Its what you make of it, be aware of its limitations and work to its strengths.

IMO... strengths are:

:: Friend system
:: Upload music that cannot be downloaded
:: Quick to inform people of Gigs upcoming
:: New fans can locate you quickly.
:: The pages work the same enabling complete muppets to quickly find their way around ya page

Weaknesses are

:: Bloody awful pages with 20000000 million gifs that say "HI" in sparkly letters 400pixels high
:: Spam
:: All a bit samey samey

Its better to have a presence with these things than to have none at all. but it has to be managed with a purpose in mind, and seriously unless you know HTML properly, dont **** with the format. get someone else to do it, its worth shoving a designer 50 billies to save you tearing your own hair out.

Little_Fella!
03-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Agreed with the above n glad I don't have to type it out...

It's all down to time and where you are at as an artist, as to how much you can get out of it... it's certainly a very good launchpad for networking, where selectivity is the key to whether your 'Space fills up with trash...

I'm just enjoying meeting new folks and finding some great music that I would never have come across otherwise...

It doesn't take long though to realise that there just isn't enough time to communicate and listen to everyone - - and that's with a modest 'Spaff such as mine...:coffee:

Darkmode
03-02-2008, 02:02 PM
not really no mate...

It's so slow!

???

I can see where you are coming from Dave as I have noticed a lot of people who have music profiles seem to think they are gonna be the next big thing coz the likes of Lilly Allen, Calvin Harris & Arctic Monkeys were descovered on Myspace. The only good thing I like about Myspace it's good for networking with other artists which I use it for. But the constant spaming does get on my tits!

techno_smack
03-02-2008, 03:28 PM
my space is good, alot of effort sorting it out tho. unless you get one of your groupies to manage the page and update it for you

RDR
03-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Lilly Allen, Calvin Harris & Arctic Monkeys were descovered on Myspace.

I heard it from a pretty reliable source that they PAID to get that exposure. Besides Lilly Allen has friends in high places to start with.

Or rather their respective record company/A+R did.

dirty_bass
03-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Found myspace very useful.
Get lots of gigs and contacts through it.
Found a lot of good music that way too, much better music than via the normal mediums, ie download sites, record shops.

Lastfm, I`ve never really looked at.

detfella
03-02-2008, 07:12 PM
i love last.fm its a great way to log what music you listen to, find other people that like similar things and discover more music. i have some of my own music on last.fm but havent really explored promoting it, i dont have a myspace for my music, just a simple web page. i would go the last.fm route to share my music (+ personal website) of any of those just because i like its philosophy. though i've stopped sharing new music i make because there is enough already out there and realised i had been making music for other people rather than my own ears.

lunatrick
03-02-2008, 10:37 PM
I think it's still worth having a website.....myspace is cool but these kind of social networking sites come and go....whereas I expect in 18 months time you'll still be out there? I know what you mean about html and all that - I guess you need somebosdy to create you a nice site that is easy to update..

I know it wasn't anything to do with music but anybody remember how popular friends renunited was? anybody still visit it now tho? not really.....and I imagine myspace wil be the same. personally it crashes my pc for some unknown reason and having music on each page annoys me when I might already be listening to some tunes.......but thats just me...

APC
03-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Balls.

I am new to the techno buying game by a longshot; but, there is so much shite to wade through on all them Myspacedonalds. I would much rather a producer had the confidence to just release a tune straight out onto vinyl rather that pussyfoot about with "oh will it be a hit?". I don't know what my major problem is though, as new artists using things like MySpace are using something that puts them in touch with all sorts of people but i just don't like using it for that.

Have confidence in yourself people!

Si the Sigh
04-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Myspace?

Myspaz more like.

Waste of time IMO.

"Ooh! Please be my friend"

Jog on -->

davethedrummer
04-02-2008, 09:09 AM
i like the point about having confidence in yourself
i think i was kind of getting at that too in my post earlier but i didn't know how to say it.
basically everyone seems so wrapped up in "putting up the new tune", "arranging the photo album" , "sorting out the background" and adding various videos and widgets etc etc ...
that the music doesn't actually go anywhere
or at least it leaves you with a sense that somehow the music is not as important as the flashy myspace that it's being played on.
and it does seem to have an air of desperation about it too doesn't it?
" please please look at me ....am i cool to????......please tell me i'm ok !!"

so yeah....get it the music out...write new tracks...move on and sod everyone else's opinions?

maybe?

xes
04-02-2008, 09:27 AM
I don't give a shit about any of those sites,but then I'm not a producer or promoter. So I'd only be there for the social aspects.

To be honest,I've been a little supprised over some of the people I've seen on myspace.(I've looked,but like you say,it takes feckin ages for a page to load) There're loads of well known techno producers on there. Don't do it man,keep some credibility!! It's just a big f*ck off advertising/data collection scam anyway :)

04-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Update your site Henry please :yup:
It was always really cool to go there for me (better than this myspace thing).

But updating it is the most important thing when you have your own site!

On the other side...for people who don't know artist it is much more easier to find artist on myspace and hear his music.I bought many great records because i heard them on myspace first...

The best resolution for me is to have myspace (just basic info without flashing banners and all this visual stuff + www site with all important info).

Simple

rhythmtech
04-02-2008, 10:46 AM
i like the point about having confidence in yourself
i think i was kind of getting at that too in my post earlier but i didn't know how to say it.
basically everyone seems so wrapped up in "putting up the new tune", "arranging the photo album" , "sorting out the background" and adding various videos and widgets etc etc ...
that the music doesn't actually go anywhere
or at least it leaves you with a sense that somehow the music is not as important as the flashy myspace that it's being played on.
and it does seem to have an air of desperation about it too doesn't it?

so yeah....get it the music out...write new tracks...move on and sod everyone else's opinions?

maybe?

exactly..i have a 2 colour page - 3 tunes - 3 pics and its not been updated in months

..... possibly out of pure laziness!!! :lol: :lol:

but seriously, as evil/useless/boring as people think it is, theres no denying that for a "non-established" or hobby producer its a great way to make contacts, especially as getting gigs away from home isnt as easy as it used to be cause promoters are afraid to lose money (props to those that do take the chance). we used to make contacts thru gigs.. nowadays thats not a huge option.

Si the Sigh
04-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Update your site Henry please. It was always really cool to go there for me (better than this myspace thing).

Yes please, and I agree. ^

fatcollective
04-02-2008, 11:05 AM
i think myspace is very useful. so far i have received some decent gigs and 2 releases on 2 very good labels which are due to be released very soon.

i have also got to know a lot of people that i would never get the chance to normally. so for me its been a pretty good promtional tool.

rhythmtech
04-02-2008, 11:26 AM
i think myspace is very useful. so far i have received some decent gigs and 2 releases on 2 very good labels which are due to be released very soon.

i have also got to know a lot of people that i would never get the chance to normally. so for me its been a pretty good promtional tool.

good advertising for renting your ass out aswell ste...:yup:

fatcollective
04-02-2008, 11:36 AM
good advertising for renting your ass out aswell ste...:yup:

you got issues with my ass aint ya....im gonna tell Melanie :eek:

RDR
04-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Balls.

I am new to the techno buying game by a longshot; but, there is so much shite to wade through on all them Myspacedonalds. I would much rather a producer had the confidence to just release a tune straight out onto vinyl rather that pussyfoot about with "oh will it be a hit?". I don't know what my major problem is though, as new artists using things like MySpace are using something that puts them in touch with all sorts of people but i just don't like using it for that.

Have confidence in yourself people!

Confidence is one thing.

spending 2g on a release PLUS in an environment you're not sure about is something else all together.

Vinyl HELD back musical development in new artists IMO. And distros were un-interested in that development as well.

koma
04-02-2008, 11:50 AM
The best resolution for me is to have myspace (just basic info without flashing banners and all this visual stuff + www site with all important info).

i really hate profiles on myspace, where people put dozens of videos and twice more flyers from their gigs. often they use png format, not something more suitable for web.

and that goddamn flash animations all over, duh... :rolleyes:

but same goes for some normal webpages, some people dont know shit about web and just because lot of surfers have dsl or other fast connection, they think its ok to put megabytes of shit on the page. it simply doesnt work that way.

rhythmtech
04-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Confidence is one thing.

spending 2g on a release PLUS in an environment you're not sure about is something else all together.

Vinyl HELD back musical development in new artists IMO. And distros were un-interested in that development as well.

:yup:

Martin Dust
04-02-2008, 01:27 PM
edited due to racist content.

Proper moan-a-thon but what the **** is this ^^^ sweeping racist generalisation?

RDR
04-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Cant that racist comment get removed please?

Si the Sigh
04-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Cant that racist comment get removed please?

Dan, should be able to remove it if he's online. Or Mark.

clubsynthetic
04-02-2008, 11:02 PM
if you cannie afford a website. set up a myspace. It just makes promotion of youself/productions far more accessable.

forget the stigma. stick your choons up and let people listen.

djshiva
05-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Yeah, i'd agree with Dan.

Apart from myspace is good because there's a lot of people that use it and will find your profile but i think a website is a lot better for promotion info an all that.

I'm thinkin of getting a website together myself.

i have to go the complete opposite direction and say that i have gotten more attention for my tunes and mixes, and more bookings as well from myspace.

i know it's a bit load of garbage code and the debbil himself owns it, but frankly, it has been nothing but a good thing for me.

there's my 3 cents.

tocsin
05-02-2008, 09:07 PM
last fm?
my space?

you are a proper muso/dj/whatever.... right?
are any of these "communities" worth getting involved in?
or is it a big pile of toss?

I haven't played with last fm so I can't say. But, despite all the issues with myspace, I think it's a nice tool for artists to use if they desire to. Especially they already have a private website. The amount of people that spend their entire day on myspace just messaging and commenting people while looking for new media is pretty crazy. So, even the completely unknown end up getting some fair exposure through it.

It can be set up with very little effort. There are "template generators" all over the place which pretty much remove the need for any constant HTML updating. For a musician, you can basically get away with just having the main information point to whatever website you are using as your most frequently updated page. From there, on the myspace side, you can pretty much just bounce in every so often to add some new tracks, and check friend requests, messages and comments.

Basically, if you're simply using it as a means of promotion, and not personal communication, it's fairly simple and effective. And, in the end, it costs you nothing but a little time. I feel the same applies to just about all "free" promo services.

The Overfiend
07-02-2008, 05:29 AM
Sorry I missed that last comments fellas, Aratron seriously man.
I'd like to crack you in the eye sometimes.

acidsaturation
07-02-2008, 11:23 AM
I've found myspace quite useful, in the sense that people like like to see me play but I don't see often are more likely to stumble across stuff on there than visit my website lots. And whether I like them or not a lot of the kids in our local clubs go on there, so it gets word out and it's got people coming to (particularly) benefit gigs I've played at which is always good.

It has it's uses, I just try to remember when I put something interesting on my site to quickly log in to myspace and paste it there. Don't take much time.

Yeah, there's lots of people who plaster flyers for their stuff on my page, but it don't really bother me, particularly as I don't really wanna make this a job, just wanna make a few tunes and play a few gigs that give a few folk some fun...

acidsaturation
07-02-2008, 11:33 AM
I've found myspace useful for getting info out, lots of people who like my stuff or seeing me play (when I get may arse in gear) will be on myspace more than they'll check my site I reckon. Have used facebook a bit for letting my friends know about stuff too... Many of the kids in clubs round here use myspace, so it gets info out.

I try and just remember when I update my site to copy and past onto myspace too. Don't take much time.

One thing I have noticed, is I have had a few e-mails saying send us some tunes and we'll release them/put then on a digital label etc, but when you ask for terms/contracts etc they seem to disappear into the woodwork... :rolleyes:

acidsaturation
07-02-2008, 11:34 AM
ps excuse double post... computer just did something very very odd and looked like it hadn't posted... :confused:

RDR
07-02-2008, 11:45 AM
I've found myspace useful for getting info out, lots of people who like my stuff or seeing me play (when I get may arse in gear) will be on myspace more than they'll check my site I reckon. Have used facebook a bit for letting my friends know about stuff too... Many of the kids in clubs round here use myspace, so it gets info out.

I try and just remember when I update my site to copy and past onto myspace too. Don't take much time.

One thing I have noticed, is I have had a few e-mails saying send us some tunes and we'll release them/put then on a digital label etc, but when you ask for terms/contracts etc they seem to disappear into the woodwork... :rolleyes:

Well gimme a shout then ;)

acidsaturation
07-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Will do...
When I get my bloody computer fixed again...

Darkmode
08-02-2008, 11:31 AM
i have to go the complete opposite direction and say that i have gotten more attention for my tunes and mixes, and more bookings as well from myspace.

i know it's a bit load of garbage code and the debbil himself owns it, but frankly, it has been nothing but a good thing for me.

there's my 3 cents.

Yeah Myspace has also been a good thing for me as well as I have also got gigs through it & I signed to Impact Mechnics after Submerge101 checked out my tracks on my profile I also got asked to do some remix work for Paul Blackford's new label Bass Gun Records after meeting him on Myspace last year I'm also gonna be signing to Bass Gun as well. So I think Myspace is great for networking

judas_beast
10-02-2008, 01:02 AM
I don't see how Myspace can be considered ''bad'' per se, it is chores wading through the countless spam messages and randoms adding you, but I've met a few people I wouldn't (well might not have) otherwise and got some useful links. Also, if you feel the need to chat up some 15 year old Emo self-harmers, then your luck is in!

RDR
10-02-2008, 07:17 AM
if you feel the need to chat up some 15 year old Emo self-harmers, then your luck is in!

:lol:

JamieBall
22-02-2008, 09:58 AM

I've started to HEAVILY prune my myspace account. Just had loadsa random friends requests over the time I've had it and most of these bastards just seem to be interested in CONSTANTLY spamming about how ****ing interesting their new song is or whos playlist it's on.

I DON'T GIVE A ****ING SHIT.

So, I've ****ed off most of them people.

Before such things as myspace people appeared a little more restrained with their promotion (with the odd VERY ANNOYING exception). Is there truly so much desperation in some people to find acceptance/approval ?

If that is the case.... LOL !

It does bring home the point that a lot of people seem to be doing music essentially so they can 'show off' (hoping y'all get my angle here) which just puzzles me no end. How come it's the talentless bastards that make the most noise (10 bulletins a day or something). Empty vessels an' all that I guess.

HOWEVER, I have found myspace useful personally for gigs and re-contacting old friends from around ze globe. With you on the time wasting though, Henry, there's no inherent harm in having one, just as long as I don't see "xxx has updated their profile information" EVERY DAY :-( Don't you people do NOTHING ELSE ???!?!?!?

TripleB
22-02-2008, 11:50 AM
this topic is ace to read!
i do like myspace coz of all the people iv met n can chek out whats goin on in the world ezy!
but im sick of the people that post a coment on my page sayin my new mix www.whateva.com or a club night poster!
with "NO" how u doin or a complement on ur music just chek my mix out look at my night!
i just laff:) and if any one posts more than 2bully's in a row i delete them!
iv had about 10 in a row b4 so i got hold of them, told them if thay do it agen ill delet them!! but what do u no! yes 10 more posts so by by haha

good for networkin tho:)

BDC
24-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Its cool until you get the occasional spam-whore slangin some weak party or mix or whatever.....

Microdot
24-02-2008, 02:14 PM
I can see where you are coming from Dave as I have noticed a lot of people who have music profiles seem to think they are gonna be the next big thing coz the likes of Lilly Allen, Calvin Harris & Arctic Monkeys were descovered on Myspace. The only good thing I like about Myspace it's good for networking with other artists which I use it for. But the constant spaming does get on my tits!

I don't even believe that to be true.
especially Lilly Allen. there's no way she was discovered on myspace. she already knew everyone in the industry through her famous dad and her best friend (that dog that presents E4).
It's possible that someone discovered The Arctic Monkeys through myspace, but it's not the reason they broke big. They broke big because Radio One were plugging them like **** from the word go.

Kokotorobot
24-02-2008, 03:44 PM
why dont u guys turn on the spam filter so everyone has to do a captcha when submitting a message / comment approval?

RDR
24-02-2008, 04:09 PM
I don't even believe that to be true.
especially Lilly Allen. there's no way she was discovered on myspace. she already knew everyone in the industry through her famous dad and her best friend (that dog that presents E4).
It's possible that someone discovered The Arctic Monkeys through myspace, but it's not the reason they broke big. They broke big because Radio One were plugging them like **** from the word go.

Spot on that.

Lilly Allen has relatives in the industry, and people like the Arctic Monkeys like you say were discovered elsewhere. Besides its possible to pay for coverage.

A.P.
24-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Basically, if you're simply using it as a means of promotion, and not personal communication, it's fairly simple and effective. And, in the end, it costs you nothing but a little time. I feel the same applies to just about all "free" promo services.

Thats exactly what i'm using it for mate.

TechMouse
25-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Spot on that.

Lilly Allen has relatives in the industry, and people like the Arctic Monkeys like you say were discovered elsewhere. Besides its possible to pay for coverage.
Isn't Lilly Allen estranged from her Dad though?

Take the point that she's part of the London in crowd and probably had a lot of easy breaks, but not sure on the "famous Dad" angle.

RDR
25-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Isn't Lilly Allen estranged from her Dad though?

Take the point that she's part of the London in crowd and probably had a lot of easy breaks, but not sure on the "famous Dad" angle.

did i say dad? Not sure about that. Uncle?

clubsynthetic
28-02-2008, 03:44 PM
I've started to HEAVILY prune my myspace account. Just had loadsa random friends requests over the time I've had it and most of these bastards just seem to be interested in CONSTANTLY spamming about how ****ing interesting their new song is or whos playlist it's on.

I DON'T GIVE A ****ING SHIT.

So, I've ****ed off most of them people.

Before such things as myspace people appeared a little more restrained with their promotion (with the odd VERY ANNOYING exception). Is there truly so much desperation in some people to find acceptance/approval ?

If that is the case.... LOL !

It does bring home the point that a lot of people seem to be doing music essentially so they can 'show off' (hoping y'all get my angle here) which just puzzles me no end. How come it's the talentless bastards that make the most noise (10 bulletins a day or something). Empty vessels an' all that I guess.

HOWEVER, I have found myspace useful personally for gigs and re-contacting old friends from around ze globe. With you on the time wasting though, Henry, there's no inherent harm in having one, just as long as I don't see "xxx has updated their profile information" EVERY DAY :-( Don't you people do NOTHING ELSE ???!?!?!?

hahahaha. I wonder who you're thinking about!

its all about spending all your time on xbox live really..

get all them emo kids, i say.

MorePunkThanFunk
28-02-2008, 10:45 PM
i personally find myspace a real ballache.

people load up there pages with so much shit and pictures that they take ages to view and even slower to scroll.

what really annoys me is these randoms who send me a message with something along the lines of

"do you want to release this track' and then a just a link or even worse check out my player on my page... that really ****s me off for some reason

no attempt to build a bit of a rappor or have a chat then say oh do you mind listening to my track.

don't people realise this will get them much better feedback and response.

on the whole i think people should use the phone more often... it's good to talk
(i realise if your in different countries than can be an issue)

clubsynthetic
28-02-2008, 10:58 PM
i personally find myspace a real ballache.

people load up there pages with so much shit and pictures that they take ages to view and even slower to scroll.

what really annoys me is these randoms who send me a message with something along the lines of

"do you want to release this track' and then a just a link or even worse check out my player on my page... that really ****s me off for some reason

no attempt to build a bit of a rappor or have a chat then say oh do you mind listening to my track.

don't people realise this will get them much better feedback and response.

on the whole i think people should use the phone more often... it's good to talk
(i realise if your in different countries than can be an issue)

TBH 'tho i think thats why we have forums like these. I've just barred all the html in my comments because it was getting out of hand. I have also started a scottish techno etc group in the hope that folk will post all there nights and shit in one central space and can discuss posts, so one's page won't be bombarded.

BRADLEE
28-02-2008, 11:45 PM
not really no mate...

It's so slow!

???

Meh, Henry I dont think Myspace is a big deal mate. I think the main thing is really good for is networking over anything....but if you're well known enough (which you are) and people want to get ahold of you; they'll find a way.

RDR
29-02-2008, 03:08 PM
TBH 'tho i think thats why we have forums like these. I've just barred all the html in my comments because it was getting out of hand. I have also started a scottish techno etc group in the hope that folk will post all there nights and shit in one central space and can discuss posts, so one's page won't be bombarded.

do you ever meet up with Dave Mitchell et al who run froot over in dunfermline???

clubsynthetic
29-02-2008, 05:08 PM
do you ever meet up with Dave Mitchell et al who run froot over in dunfermline???

I played at a couple of gigs with them in Edinburgh and glasgow. and the've been booked at a fare few nights, some i have been booked at too, in edinburgh. Thats about it 'tho. He makes some nice beats...

RDR
29-02-2008, 06:10 PM
I played at a couple of gigs with them in Edinburgh and glasgow. and the've been booked at a fare few nights, some i have been booked at too, in edinburgh. Thats about it 'tho. He makes some nice beats...

aye, we played a fair with em too, good lads on the whole.

aNaLpLeAsEr
27-06-2008, 02:08 AM
Maybe there was a time when myspace was a useful networking/promotion tool........but to me it just seems like everyone and their dog wants a "myspace"............isn't it bad enough having all those "I will do anything to be famous because my life is ****ing empty and pointless" TV shows.............now those ****ers have been let loose on the world wide web!!!

The really sad thing is that when I click away because I have no patience waiting for all their bollocks to load..........I could be missing out on some good music...........if you want people to listen, then you got to make it easy and simple.............best have your own site.............decent quality playback of your music.........total control over the look and feel...............and none of the stigma that is now associated with myspace.

The sad thing is I clicked on daves site and it has a link to myspace...............dave I love your music man...........but wheres your head at there?

BDC
29-06-2008, 09:13 PM
maybe maybe..hmmm
maybe i'm just fed up with constant typing and fiddling with computers and html and websites and trying to keep it alll up to date

werd...its too laborious to meddle with your own site.... I have a site, but I havent had time to design anything in years, so I just have mixes and tracks up there for now...

But with Myspace the real benefit is the free search engine optimization that you essentially recieve by piggy backing off Myspace's massive web presence. Regardless of being an up and coming producer or a pioneer (such as you and the Liberators) having a Myspace page is a great way to keep friends and fans in touch with what your doing....with their membership in the millions, you'll get a ton of exposure.

I just hate when DJ's and people alike install these crazy flash pages that jam up browsers....and the spammers...but regardless...its free.

aNaLpLeAsEr
29-06-2008, 09:53 PM
well its free so it must be ok then

Drumsquasher
19-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Myspace is no help to get your future started... It only helps "musicians" to get me spittinĀ“all day long.... 1000nds of bytes of achin soundfiles on one webspace, this could be a modern way to suicide if you gone to sign in. And it is a big fault to think, that your gettin famous in 3 days and become gigs for the next two years...

278d7e64a374de26f==