PDA

View Full Version : download music and loose you net connection

...Dave...
03-02-2008, 12:26 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jan/25/media.internet

MARK ANXIOUS
03-02-2008, 02:46 PM
oh that's ridiculous. how do they expect to police that then?

davethedrummer
03-02-2008, 06:23 PM
oh that's ridiculous. how do they expect to police that then?

it's bullshit , more bullshit
truth is no-ne has a clue what the hell is going on anymore
i guess they could start off trying to trace protected mp4 files as they fly around the net or something like that
only itunes are giving up using those files now because they are a pain in the arse

back to the drawing board.

you know what i think now?

i think the music sharing is here to stay, so use it, encourage it even,definitely forget about trying to change it or govern it you're wasting your time. we have to find completely different ways of making money from music/art these days
we need to think outside the box as it were.

performing , playing live , filming live , scoring soundtracks for art projects , djing with music and pictures , you need real live skill and talent for that.

it'll just seperate the boys from the men
maybe the younger fresher guys in college who have technology at their fingertips will just take over and us old duffers will be lost in a see of multi media geniuses.

maybe ...maybe...who cares...one thing , music just got a whole load more popular than ever before and thats the truth.

rhythmtech
03-02-2008, 06:30 PM
branch out like the man says

get a qualification, keep working in the field but get paid "properly" for it. bread on the table, rent paid and enough to keep your personal studio stuff going aswell...

easier said though!

xes
03-02-2008, 06:41 PM
maybe the younger fresher guys in college who have technology at their fingertips will just take over and us old duffers will be lost in a see of multi media geniuses.

No way dude,your generation of producers will be forever imortailised by middle age men,trying to tell their kids "how we used to rock" Telling them that their music isn't music,cos it hasn't got a big fat kick drum in it.

Kind of like my dad did to me with Status Quo.

Agree entirely with the rest of your post. And whilst I am a serial music downloader (sets mainly) I'll always spend as much as I can spare on music I can hold in my hand. And music sharing has also made me go out and buy tunes I'd never had bought otherwise.

MARK ANXIOUS
03-02-2008, 10:35 PM
it's bullshit , more bullshit
truth is no-ne has a clue what the hell is going on anymore
i guess they could start off trying to trace protected mp4 files as they fly around the net or something like that
only itunes are giving up using those files now because they are a pain in the arse

back to the drawing board.

you know what i think now?

i think the music sharing is here to stay, so use it, encourage it even,definitely forget about trying to change it or govern it you're wasting your time. we have to find completely different ways of making money from music/art these days
we need to think outside the box as it were.

performing , playing live , filming live , scoring soundtracks for art projects , djing with music and pictures , you need real live skill and talent for that.

maybe ...maybe...who cares...one thing , music just got a whole load more popular than ever before and thats the truth.

man, i stopped worrying about file sharing the moment i saw the whole boa catalogue up on soulseek. oh and incedentally, i think that was also the time i realised that there is not a penny in making music anymore. not that i ever did think that, especially techno.. making music to me what always a way of expressing myself without the need to make money...

i mean really, what can you do? you HAVe to embrace it. promote it. and go with the flow of change. that's life. and that's also why sooo many ppl are left bitter and twisted by a refusal to understand the changing nature of the industry.. and at the end of the day what is the point of that?!!!?!?$%@?!

:)

lunatrick
03-02-2008, 11:02 PM
it's here to stay as a distribution medium.......but I imagine that the illegal stuff will die off eventually

I think the idea of ISP's paying royalties off the back of subscription fees is a good one - but god knows how you would work out how to distribute it to the artists fairly......but I suppose they manage it with the prs/mscp stuff....anyway some how the industry needs to work it out...ones thing is for sure - the amount of music / films people are consuming is going up massively and I think they would be prepared to pay for it if it's not too expensive. The days of 15 quid Cd's are gone.....and good riddance too - what a rip off! (especially in the uk)

personally I would be prepared to pay a blanket fee and download what I want....now I'm in Oz I download a lot of TV programs that I can't get here (the rugby over the weekend for example) I also download a lot of music - I do try and buy it if I like it enough.....but then I think about the massive amount of cash I've spent over the years on 12",CD's, concerts, gigs, etc etc...

I hope that people can keep going on dj gigs and concerts....the increasing interest in music will surely have some positive knock on benefits....it's just hard to see it right now...I'm sure in the dj arena the download revenue will increase - I mean a couple of dollars for a top quality wav file is a bargain really, but i think the days of a techno release selling 5000 copies has long gone.....I'm not really sure who used to buy them....bedroom dj's I guess?

The crime thread about giving his album away was a bit depressing though...but I think he's making a brave point - the market for non commercial techno is too small to bother with...I read a post on LD forum where somebody was saying that artists that are pretty well known in the electronic world and can regularly pull in a 1000 people for a gig are struggling to sell 300 copies of a release....but how many copies have been downloaded - maybe 10 or 50 times that amount and by the same people who are at the gig....

The guys at pirate bay are in the news at the moment - the authorities are trying to sue them again....but somebody else will just take their place - the genie is out of the bottle. One of the guys from there make a relevant point tho - 'nobody moaned about the people who used to sell ice losing their jobs when the fridge was invented'....

278d7e64a374de26f==