PDA

View Full Version : Techno coming back

Darkmode
03-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Doe's anyone think Techno is coming back in the scene? As I have noticed there has been a lot of really good well produced Techno releases coming out recently. I have read interviews with some Techno artists saying they are getting sick of the so called Minimal stuff that is out & that people are getting bored of it. As I say Techno is a fighter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Peace,

DM

rhythmtech
03-02-2008, 02:22 PM
it never went away :-)

koma
03-02-2008, 02:27 PM
it never went away :-)

word.

too many people people moaning about minimal, not so many people listening and discovering new stuff out there. thats the real issue IMO.

MARK ANXIOUS
03-02-2008, 02:44 PM
actually if you really think about it, any press is good press and mml has really put the word techno out there again. it's also really shaken up the techno scene massively and if i'm being honest, i reckon it kind of needed it anyway. yeah, i have noticed alot of great music out there again in the shops recently - i spent almost 300 quid in december on techno and that hadnt happened since, well at least 12 months ago.

all looking great imho. :wink:

detfella
03-02-2008, 07:18 PM
oh, hokey cokey cokey cokey

eyeswithoutaface
03-02-2008, 09:15 PM
for something to "come back" that insinuates something was in fashion in the first place, techno has never been as a whole genre, a fashionable thing. Which is why the scene is in such a poor state in alot of places.

Too many people worrying about whats in, whats out, whats hot and whats not

APC
03-02-2008, 11:00 PM
All the money I would have spent on techno in the last month I have spent on good old fashioned ketamine.

MARK ANXIOUS
03-02-2008, 11:13 PM
All the money I would have spent on techno in the last month I have spent on good old fashioned ketamine.

hahahha :lol: :lol: :lol:

APC
04-02-2008, 12:46 AM
hahahha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everyone needs a hobby!

Darkmode
04-02-2008, 12:52 AM
for something to "come back" that insinuates something was in fashion in the first place, techno has never been as a whole genre, a fashionable thing. Which is why the scene is in such a poor state in alot of places.

Too many people worrying about whats in, whats out, whats hot and whats not

I was not saying Techno is fashionable what I meant to say was that it's getting more support again.

davethedrummer
04-02-2008, 09:10 AM
i have to say it's getting better
the future is looking good!
i wish i had more money.....

A.P.
04-02-2008, 01:19 PM
If we all stick together then we'll be ok lads.
Group hug..............

Rock the Techno!

eyeswithoutaface
04-02-2008, 07:16 PM
I was not saying Techno is fashionable what I meant to say was that it's getting more support again.

no i know you werent mate, i was just using that to state a point.

I just think to say something like "i think techno is getting more support again" is a little bit of an empty comment, in the context that is doesnt make much sense to someone like myself. More support from whom? where? how? why? it's a very narrow statement for such a broad subject.

I didnt think techno had gotten any LESS support over the years in particular, its simply just gotten bigger as a scene, as a genre. I dont mean commercially, if that's what you mean then yes it probably has gotten tighter in terms of commercial viability, but in terms of actual support, then i'd say quite the opposite.

More and more labels than ever popping up, with more and more producers popping up, which does however spread the support already there in terms of fanbase, monies spent on records/mp3s, more thinly across the ground. Which i happen to think is a good thing, as it means people will have to try harder to present a product that not only looks good and has the hype attached to it (which seems to be THE in thing in techno now, hype, hype, hype) but also actually is well produced and has something to say.

i just think it's all too easy to say "yeah things are looking up again for techno, down with minimal" when if they thought about it, the 2 are connected on all kinds of levels and always will be. A boom in a certain trend or genre is usually the after effect of a decline in another, there's been an upsurge in badly produced harder records and inevitably after a while people do tend to eventually want to seek out other stuff that has the quality they want, and there's no doubt 95% of minimal is really well produced, it has to be as it relies alot of really clean edits, sharp production, big smooth subs etc etc

i dunno, i might view the scene alot different to yourself, but i dont feel that techno is any less supported than it has been, it's just well it's 2008, and there are many, many ways to show your support these days

not having a go by the way, just trying to offer a bit of a conversation in here, it's pretty dead and it was a subject i had something to say on :)

DannyBlack
04-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Bollox to Techno. Bollox to music.

eyeswithoutaface
04-02-2008, 07:35 PM
bollox to you lad

b o l l o x

DannyBlack
04-02-2008, 07:51 PM
:lol: bollox to you too! Im working on some anti-music at the moment. It's called Bollox.

rhythmtech
04-02-2008, 08:10 PM
you're always workin with your bollox.. give em a rest.. they'll chaffe

DannyBlack
04-02-2008, 08:26 PM
you're always workin with your bollox.. give em a rest.. they'll chaffe

Your mum has this protective balm she's always rubbin on em.

rhythmtech
04-02-2008, 08:59 PM
thats my dogs cum

DannyBlack
04-02-2008, 09:06 PM
What did your dad ever do to you that you call him your dog??

rhythmtech
04-02-2008, 09:53 PM
doesnt really matter what he did.. you have his cum on your balls. MASSIVE FAIL!!!

... unless your xes

DannyBlack
04-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Man, we gotta stop flirting like this. Lets just make out and get it over and done with.

rhythmtech
04-02-2008, 10:12 PM
feck off ye big gayist..

DannyBlack
04-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Come on man, don't be shy!

clubsynthetic
04-02-2008, 10:45 PM
what is the "scene", in this topic?

cos everyone who i know listens to techno never stopped listening to it.

one thing i must say is: if there is more lables = more people making it = more people listening to it and enjoying it (hopefully)

to be honest 'tho the club turnouts are still a bit drab in edinburgh. all student drum and bass nights here. pfft.

Electrictribe
05-02-2008, 08:45 AM
what is the "scene", in this topic?

cos everyone who i know listens to techno never stopped listening to it.

Just about everyone i know has stopped listening to it. A lot of the people i used to go partying with now think they are too cool for techno. I still love it.

eyeswithoutaface
05-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Just about everyone i know has stopped listening to it. A lot of the people i used to go partying with now think they are too cool for techno. I still love it.

well, to be fair, if anyone actually genuinely thinks they are after a while "too cool for techno" then you seriously have to question wether or not they truely liked it in the first place.

For my techno isnt something you can just pick up and put down, it's with you everyday in one way, shape or form, wether or not your actually listening to your fave artist at the time, the experiences you've had through techno and with techno all build up to one big picture for me.

it's the opposite for in terms of knowing people who listen to it. I know more and more people now listening to techno, and i mean techno. Not just club based techno, or just 4/4 bangers constantly.

Im hugely into bands too, and alot of my friends on that side of things dont even know they are listening to techno when they are in my gaff, many a time has someone found themselves totally loving a CD ive got on to discover its Stewart Walker or an old Sahko release and they end up totally immersed

clubsynthetic
05-02-2008, 12:41 PM
the basis of how many people listen to a musical genre or how much it sells is an absolute tripe idea of a concept.

and if artists of techno feel like they want to move with this concept then please do. I'm sure they would sell millions and millions of records and be a big star.

aye right.

basslinejunkie
05-02-2008, 01:13 PM

they never loved it in the first place then.you cant walk away from techno if you love it.

Darkmode
05-02-2008, 01:29 PM
no i know you werent mate, i was just using that to state a point.

I just think to say something like "i think techno is getting more support again" is a little bit of an empty comment, in the context that is doesnt make much sense to someone like myself. More support from whom? where? how? why? it's a very narrow statement for such a broad subject.

I didnt think techno had gotten any LESS support over the years in particular, its simply just gotten bigger as a scene, as a genre. I dont mean commercially, if that's what you mean then yes it probably has gotten tighter in terms of commercial viability, but in terms of actual support, then i'd say quite the opposite.

More and more labels than ever popping up, with more and more producers popping up, which does however spread the support already there in terms of fanbase, monies spent on records/mp3s, more thinly across the ground. Which i happen to think is a good thing, as it means people will have to try harder to present a product that not only looks good and has the hype attached to it (which seems to be THE in thing in techno now, hype, hype, hype) but also actually is well produced and has something to say.

i just think it's all too easy to say "yeah things are looking up again for techno, down with minimal" when if they thought about it, the 2 are connected on all kinds of levels and always will be. A boom in a certain trend or genre is usually the after effect of a decline in another, there's been an upsurge in badly produced harder records and inevitably after a while people do tend to eventually want to seek out other stuff that has the quality they want, and there's no doubt 95% of minimal is really well produced, it has to be as it relies alot of really clean edits, sharp production, big smooth subs etc etc

i dunno, i might view the scene alot different to yourself, but i dont feel that techno is any less supported than it has been, it's just well it's 2008, and there are many, many ways to show your support these days

not having a go by the way, just trying to offer a bit of a conversation in here, it's pretty dead and it was a subject i had something to say on :)

No offence taken mate I respect your views on the matter. I can see where you are coming from about tracks having better production these days. I have noticed a lot of new Techno that is getting released on digital labels the production work on them are well produced. I supose in a way minimal has gave a helping hand in getting Techno noticed as it is Techno. But I'm not too keen on the minimal stuff that is out these days a lot of releases all sound the same like a carbon copy of each other.

eyeswithoutaface
05-02-2008, 02:04 PM
i'd agree 100% with you mate, minimal has gone the classic way of every subgenre that suddently becomes popular, it slumps after the peak as suddenly everyone is doing the same thing, with the same tools, and inevitablely everything sounds the same. I think the main reason the minimal slump however hasnt been so severe because underneath it all, it is still really well produced music on the whole compared to alot of what else is available, with the exception of most detroit/deeper/dub techno releases available that are just wikid like now, the likes of Deepchord/Echospace and older guys like Substance/Vanquier who are doing the rounds again as it were. Top stuff with dancefloor effect and still great for home listening.

i've done the odd minimal thing myself but only 1 actual vinyl release but i know some good friends with like 20, 30 releases and the variation between the ep's is scary to say the least. Just pointless reworks basically of the last, same edits different noises etc etc, i dunno, it's not how i'd like to be putting out records for sure

dirty_bass
05-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Minimal was never techno.

It`s house for people who don`t like to admit or think they are listening to or dancing to techno.

You`ll find minimal "techno" in more house record shops and online shops labeled as minimal house, than you will places that call it techno. And rightly so.

Not that I don`t love it.

Darkmode
06-02-2008, 12:02 AM
i'd agree 100% with you mate, minimal has gone the classic way of every subgenre that suddently becomes popular, it slumps after the peak as suddenly everyone is doing the same thing, with the same tools, and inevitablely everything sounds the same. I think the main reason the minimal slump however hasnt been so severe because underneath it all, it is still really well produced music on the whole compared to alot of what else is available, with the exception of most detroit/deeper/dub techno releases available that are just wikid like now, the likes of Deepchord/Echospace and older guys like Substance/Vanquier who are doing the rounds again as it were. Top stuff with dancefloor effect and still great for home listening.

i've done the odd minimal thing myself but only 1 actual vinyl release but i know some good friends with like 20, 30 releases and the variation between the ep's is scary to say the least. Just pointless reworks basically of the last, same edits different noises etc etc, i dunno, it's not how i'd like to be putting out records for sure

Neither would I want to be putting out records like that it's just making & releasing stuff just the sake of it. Might as well be on a factory line making the same things!

massplanck
06-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Minimal was never techno.

Tell that to Rob Hood.

koma
06-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Robert Hood on minimal

"These days I am focused purely on minimalism and really embracing minimalism because it’s taken on a life of its own. It’s now a music style separate from techno. I would never have imagined that it would take this direction. I didn’t see that one coming! Back then I think people looked on at it as a trend but they didn’t realise that minimalism is an art form. I did not realise it would take on this characteristic as it has now. So where I’m at right now is embracing minimalism and seeing how far I can push it—in my interpretation of what simplicity and the music is all about. I am really representing it as an art form and not a trend. As the future evolves, we’re going to get more and more minimal..."

more: http://www.fabriclondon.com/press/beta/archives/731-guid.html

BRADLEE
06-02-2008, 08:03 AM
i have to say it's getting better
the future is looking good!
i wish i had more money.....

You and Me both Henry...haha But see you @ Bad Robot on the 7th mate. Cant' wait to rock it with you.

...Dave...
06-02-2008, 09:39 AM
coming back from where?

I wasn't aware it had been away:no:

The klubb Krayz
06-02-2008, 02:01 PM
my oppinion of the techno scene in this country is there isnt enough nights and the nights there is usualy are in some dirty little back room were ya treadin on cans and empty bottles and ya slip on the stairs goin to it . there usualy found at hard dance nights were hard dance djs are charging prices in the hundreds and the promoters are makin hardly **** all, to put a techno event on wiv big names is gona cost big figures and only a few places over ere will pull it off perhaps sales in mp3s and stuff have gone up but we just need them nights putin on to get people back into it . at the min were i play they sneak the odd techno dj in between sets like alex calver and to be fair the clubbers now dayz cant tell the difference i recon this country is just so many years behind when it comes to this

you might think what iv wrote might be a load of shit but were i come from and were i play this is how it is let me know your views

dave

278d7e64a374de26f==