PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Compression

RDR
12-02-2008, 08:16 AM
OK so i've been toying with this idea.

Compression is a dynamic process method applied to audio material.

Mostly people set their compressor and let it stay that way through the entire track. But how many of you practice changing the settings throughout the track to follow the changing contour of the material?

rhythmtech
12-02-2008, 08:27 AM
yup.. ill often automate the attack and release.. never really done it with the threshold or ratio..

i guess to change the threshold or ratio you'd need to place a second compressor after it to keep everything in check?

massplanck
12-02-2008, 09:27 AM
I used to do it a few years in reason. I hadnt a clue how to use compression properly so my way around it was compress the track and reduce the threshold manually a breaks (when the kick dropped out) . Sounded good!

massplanck
12-02-2008, 09:51 AM
er or should that have been ratio? i forget.. i used to hammer the **** out of the tracks and manually stop everything going nuts when the bass or kick drum dropped out.

Jay Pace
12-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Its pretty important in mastering - so I gather.

I've never tried it to be honest. I'm not sure what I'd do...

dirty_bass
12-02-2008, 07:05 PM
no it`s not important in mastering at all.

Tracking with your mastering compression is something, as a mastering engineer, you only really need to do on material either with extreme changes, such as the good old guitar music cliche of the quiety verse shouty chorus song, ala Nirvana Smells like teen spirit, and a gazillion other rock tunes.

OR

A really badly mixed and produced bit of music (if I was put into that scenario, I simply wouldnt master it, as the end product would be a compromise).

I don`t think in dance music you need to track your mastering compression, as the dynamics shouldn`t be changing enough to necessitate it. Well not in most cases anyway.

I have done it on band music, but never on dance music.

278d7e64a374de26f==