PDA

View Full Version : routemaster

benji303
18-02-2008, 10:08 AM
how come they only release like one tune or two at the most a year they shud release em more often dont ya think??

Si the Sigh
18-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Routemaster Records has finished now mate. Shame, but Lawrie says there's no call for that acid sound now. Sales are too low to continue as far as I gather.

Real big loss to the scene IMO.

rhythmtech
18-02-2008, 10:18 AM
possibly a number of reasons (but im only speculating)

lawrie is concentrating on his mastering business (which might just bring him an actual real income)

the costs compared to sales dont warrant it

he doesnt want to totally swamp an already slowed down market.. would rather release 2 really good releases a year then put out shite.

but like i said thats only speculation

rhythmtech
18-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Routemaster Records has finished now mate. Shame, but Lawrie says there's no call for that acid sound now. Sales are too low to continue as far as I gather.

WOW :eek: :hmmm:

is this 100% si? hadnt heard about that.

benji303
18-02-2008, 10:24 AM
shit really routemaster was one of the greatest acid techno labels alongside with smitten , and SUF

Si the Sigh
18-02-2008, 10:35 AM
He said he wasn't going to be making any more acid techno himself, and I gathered that was it for Routemaster as well.

lunatrick
18-02-2008, 10:45 AM
bit of a shame - but I suppose he cant go on for ever releasing the same kind of tunes....mind you tell that to motorhead!

acidpisar
18-02-2008, 11:01 AM

Thats terrible news mate...i thought there will one or two releases a year :hmmm:

rhythmtech
18-02-2008, 11:30 AM
He said he wasn't going to be making any more acid techno himself, and I gathered that was it for Routemaster as well.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

he said that to me after a gig in '98!!!! **** knows whats gonna happen!

AcidTrash
18-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Comes as no surprise.

Committing to vinyl these days is a risky business. You only do it if you're sure your reputation will make the money back or you have a killer tune. The days of pressing fillers just for the sake of a release are over unless you have money to burn. The smart thing to do is go higher up the food chain if you want to make a living out of it and take money off kids who want the vanity product of a record with their name on.

I also think acid techno clubbing has had its day. most people have moved on and are much wealthier and daren't risk it all on a weekend munt up that could cost them their jobs.

Still, this doesnt deter me from making the stuff. I still think it rules.

lunatrick
19-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Comes as no surprise.

Committing to vinyl these days is a risky business. You only do it if you're sure your reputation will make the money back or you have a killer tune. The days of pressing fillers just for the sake of a release are over unless you have money to burn. The smart thing to do is go higher up the food chain if you want to make a living out of it and take money off kids who want the vanity product of a record with their name on.

I also think acid techno clubbing has had its day. most people have moved on and are much wealthier and daren't risk it all on a weekend munt up that could cost them their jobs.

Still, this doesnt deter me from making the stuff. I still think it rules.

In some ways it's not a bad thing that the fillers are no longer released - there was so much crap released back in the day.......which sounded like it was knocked in a couple of hours and probably was. The market is going through metldown at the moment....but it will settle at some point....

I don't neccessarily think the clubbing side has had it's day - but yeah most of the audience is older now - so may go to one off type gigs on a bank holiday but aren't going for a massive rave up every weekend any more with work on Monday morning......I've done my time with that (probably for over decade!!) but can't hack it any more......

rhythmtech
19-02-2008, 01:44 AM
funnily enough its starting to gain momentum in dublin again..

ive played at 2 acid nights in the last few months and im booked for another in 3 weeks.. hopefully its the start of a new wave (excuse the pun!!)

YOGY
19-02-2008, 06:43 AM
thats sad news , the man is a fuc..m legend
but i have to be honest , acid techno bein really quite lately.
but i will never stop playing the routemaster or smitten sound ,
also there is a few labels without a release for ages like hazchem or skankdelic and others
what the fu.k happen to acid techno, what we gonna do?????

YOGY
19-02-2008, 06:59 AM
funnily enough its starting to gain momentum in dublin again..

ive played at 2 acid nights in the last few months and im booked for another in 3 weeks.. hopefully its the start of a new wave (excuse the pun!!)

hope so dude, i dont like seeing the acid scene dying>>>really upsets me
im still young , but just seems this young generation are just interested in take loads of k and listen to hardcore or hardstyle all nite.
i still think the acid techno will kick off again soon , like did a few years ago.
but looks so far from it..

Athar
19-02-2008, 05:53 PM
The best way to know is:
If ya in london Go to Curved and ASK Lawrie whats gonna happen with his son > Routemaster > to confirm or not this great acid techno label is already closed or not.

I wish to get one, two quallity releases on routemaster still than closing my routemaster collection on number 60 now, label its a ****in legend with awesome reputation bulit over the years and its a MAIN Acid Techno label for many 303's freaks around the world.

teknofilth
19-02-2008, 08:29 PM
i hope it hasn't finished(!)
although it does seem like the acid techno scene is on a downer at the moment..no disrespect to the 414 but punk floyd on a sunday afternoon in the 414 doesn't seem right..a few years ago that would have been a guarenteed Saturday night winner..
..anyone know what's up with the WahWah label?

rhythmtech
19-02-2008, 08:33 PM
punk floyd on a sunday afternoon in the 414 doesn't seem right..a few years ago that would have been a guarenteed Saturday night winner..

well it was a birthday party they were playing at..

the_psychologist
26-02-2008, 12:24 AM
I think acid will be born again soon enough. People will always want hard music for the brain, but i think standards have changed a bit. If you can put out some acid tunes that have strong production, and innovative programming, I'm sure people will listen.

If you listen to tracks in the Minimal/Tech House/etc. scenes, there is still quite a strong acid influence in effect. If you maintain the qualities that make these tunes popular and also crank up the acid, I'm sure there's an untapped market to explore.

People_Mover
27-02-2008, 01:03 AM
Lunatrick, I agree there was a lot of crap released back in the day, but there was also a great deal of experimentation, and in any case the sound was fresh and so folk could get away it. What amazes me is that the artists and producers that cultivated the acid tek sound are still dominating the scene today. That said, the structure found in today's releases is not a million miles away from the originals. You can relate to both, and they go well together.

Laurie's doing the Pounding Grooves thing now isn't he? I hope the 303 sound doesn't disappear though, I can't imagine living in a World dominated by tunes that have little to offer than distorted drums.

278d7e64a374de26f==