PDA

View Full Version : Champions League Second Round First Leg

Numeric
19-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Liverpool v Inter 19.45
Olympiakos v Chelsea 19.45
Roma v Real Madrid 19.45
Schalke 04 v FC Porto 19.45

some lovely champions league fixtures to keep the demons at bay :)

i'll be watchin the liverpool inter game

fatcollective
19-02-2008, 10:41 AM
I cant see Liverpool winning tonight, Inter Milan are on fire at the mo, they are top of Serie A and havent even lost this season....they are on fire! I think its good bye Rafa...good bye any silverware for Liverpool this season!

Numeric
19-02-2008, 10:46 AM
will be an interesting encounter, for some reason i can't see Liverpool getting spanked, they always seem to up their game for these big fixtures, we'll see though

fatcollective
19-02-2008, 10:50 AM
will be an interesting encounter, for some reason i can't see Liverpool getting spanked, they always seem to up their game for these big fixtures, we'll see though

there deffo gonna have to sort there shit out, they need every player to be 100% committed, gonna be a good game...maybe the loss against barnsley on the weekend might have kicked liverpool up the ass, but will such an important match against inter milan be just too big for liverpool to bounce back?

french_og
19-02-2008, 11:37 AM
You can never write off Liverpool in Europe, they look a completely different side in europe and Rafa's negative and cautious tactics which will never work in the premiership seems to work in CL. Their support at home espeically in europe is 2nd to none and if they get a result you can see them digging out a 0-0 away from home.

Insomnia
19-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Will be intresting to see how Inter fair tonight with regards to there league status back home...

Should be a good game this tonight, Liverpool will want to regain some pride..

Numeric
19-02-2008, 09:14 PM
been a fairly shit game thus far, Inter had Materazzi sent off early but have kept it tight, Liverpool have had a few good chances

Numeric
19-02-2008, 09:26 PM
oh dear, Kuyt of all people has scored :lol:

disgrace

Richierush
19-02-2008, 09:27 PM
spoils games when players get sent off,im suprised that all the pressure liverpool have put on inter its only 1-0 on 83mins,an kuyt wud have ben the first player id have taken off :lol:

Numeric
19-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Gerrard's made it two, what a crock of shite

Spacehopper
19-02-2008, 10:18 PM
liverpool deserved it from the word go.....sending off was harsh but they needed a bit of luck...inters keeper had a good game, great save when torres was one on one......should have had a pen when vierra handled.....thought he'd have brought kuyt off when pennant came on, glad he didnt but rafa definitely sees something in him that everyone else dunt, maybe thatll give big dirk a bit of confidence......knew we'd score when the crouch came on

fatcollective
19-02-2008, 10:47 PM
well this is typlical liverpool fc ....lose against barnsley, win against Serie A leaders, unbeaten in 5 months! I eat my hat, thought they were gonna get stuffed. they played pretty good, well i suppose they had to really!

french_og
20-02-2008, 08:33 AM
The sending off was a bit of a shocker but i hate that Materazzi after the Zidane incident so was quite happy about that sending off!!! W*nker!!!

Numeric
20-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Arsenal v AC Milan 19.45
Celtic v Barcelona 19.45
Fenerbahce v Sevilla 19.45
Lyon v Man Utd 19.45

some tasty fixtures tonight

Insomnia
20-02-2008, 09:19 AM
We need to get a result at home tonight as it'll be all against us at the San Siro..

Celtics great home record in this comp will be put to the test tonight also, should be a quality game...

fatcollective
20-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Arsenal v AC Milan (i can see arsenal winning this)

Celtic v Barcelona (Come on celtic)

Fenerbahce v Sevilla (not bothered really)

Lyon v Man Utd (come on united lets get some away goals in the bag)

Numeric
20-02-2008, 11:27 AM
i think United will be fine tonight, expect Celtic and Arsenal to struggle...

Insomnia
20-02-2008, 11:51 AM
, Arsenal to struggle...

I'm sure the performance will be of much higher degree from that pish at the wkend..

It wont be easy, but on our own turf and a full squad we should be in control for the 2nd leg over there...

Numeric
20-02-2008, 12:00 PM
we'll see dude, should be a crackin game at the Emirates

basslinejunkie
20-02-2008, 12:25 PM
how can we destroy inter yet struggle to barnsley? its madness.

Numeric
20-02-2008, 12:33 PM
although you did destroy Inter in the end, the overall performance was little to write home about

DJ RE:HAB
20-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Numeric mate that statement is just utter cack..

What type of performance were you expecting? There one of the best outfits in european football.

there a solid team hard to break down.

We dominated the game, we played patiently and it paid off. This is the champions league, different football compared to the prem.

basslinejunkie
20-02-2008, 01:13 PM
although you did destroy Inter in the end, the overall performance was little to write home about

you wasnt watching the same game then. with 11 we had all the play,possesion,chances just as we did have with 10. we completley outplayed them.everyone apart form 2 played well also, kuyt (even tho he scored) and aurellio.

20-02-2008, 01:15 PM
I have to say tho, our dead ball crosses, corners etc were horrific.

Spacehopper
20-02-2008, 02:03 PM
too right.....gerrard cant seem to cross from dead balls, corners free kicks......they hardly ever beat the first man.....
others completley over hit ............kuyt did the only good cross of the game last night but no-one was in the middle

Numeric
20-02-2008, 05:45 PM
you wouldn't be so happy with the performance if you'd failed to score, both goals were fortunate

Insomnia
20-02-2008, 10:01 PM
0-0 not the worst result, at least we didn't concede...

This is now set in our favour with the away goal rule...

We know what we need to do now...

Looking around Celtic were out classed, Man utd last gasp equaliser and surprise from Fenerbahce..

Numeric
20-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Tevez is a legend

french_og
21-02-2008, 08:23 AM
How did Adebayor miss that header at the end..

Numeric
21-02-2008, 10:04 AM
aye, from what i can gather Arsenal had some good chances, reckon they've missed their opportunity

United did ok, awesome strike from Benzema to put Lyon ahead, we looked far better once Nani and Tevez came on at the end

the Celtic game looked good from the highlights, can't see them gettin a result against Barca at the Nou Camp though

fatcollective
21-02-2008, 10:29 AM
I think Giggs and Scholes were very poor last night, they just don’t seem to have spark they used to have...the game completely changed when Tevez and Nani came on... that away goal is very important to us but to be honest Lyon didn’t have that many chances so im sure we can kill em off at Old Trafford!!

Shame about Celtic, they went ahead twice. That goal from Henry was awesome and the winner they got was pretty fluky… really wanted Celtic to win that one!

I think Arsenal are fvcked now, they gotta go to Milan and try and get a result which is gonna be really hard for them…but ya never know?

Numeric
21-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Scholes wasn't too bad, got into some good positions, Giggs didn't have a particularly good game though, i think the formation suited us better once Nani and Tevez were introduced

both Messi's goals for Barca were class, Henry's was quality too

french_og
21-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Not a bad problem to have, quality players like Giggs and Scholes having a off night so you bring on Nani and Tevez.

Will
21-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Rooney and Tevez must be the most feared strike partnership in europe, from an appearance perspective! One looks like Shrek, the other like a cave man...

Numeric
21-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Tevez's hair style was class

Microdot
21-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I think Giggs and Scholes were very poor last night, they just don’t seem to have spark they used to have...the game completely changed when Tevez and Nani came on... that away goal is very important to us but to be honest Lyon didn’t have that many chances so im sure we can kill em off at Old Trafford!!

Shame about Celtic, they went ahead twice. That goal from Henry was awesome and the winner they got was pretty fluky… really wanted Celtic to win that one!

I think Arsenal are fvcked now, they gotta go to Milan and try and get a result which is gonna be really hard for them…but ya never know?

Giggs made 2 awesome passes in the first half that should have resulted in goals, one for Rooney, one for Scholes, though I agree the substitution for Nani was long overdue when it happened.
when you heard Utd were warming up 2 subs, you thought "Giggs and Scholes" straight away.
Overall, Utd played well, if Rooney can start putting away his frequent chances/one on ones, they'll be unstoppable.

21-02-2008, 02:51 PM
For all your uniteds cockyness they should of got a better result than that last night. I think fergies time has come and passed for winning the champs league.

Hes got the prem league sussed but for years has struggled since 1999 to get it right in the champs league. Everybody has there weaknessess and it looks like fergies may be the champs league.

Tatically in europe he's been poor with wenger. Not something you expect from the top 2...

Now Benitez managing utd, you would probably win the champs league year in year out.

Numeric
21-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Now Benitez managing utd, you would probably win the champs league year in year out.

and probably never win the Premiership

21-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Thats the price.

french_og
21-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Teams that are used to watching good exciting football week after week would never accept Benitez's boring negative football. Thats the funny thing about the Real Madrid rumours about wanting Benitez - the fans will never allow it. I have never heard one Spanish person say a good word about him and Real Madrid fans slate him.

fatcollective
21-02-2008, 03:05 PM
if Rooney can start putting away his frequent chances/one on ones, they'll be unstoppable.

yeah, he works so hard...he just needs to get his finishing on target...let hope he can score another super volley against newcastle again on saturday!!

Roooooooneeey!!!

21-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Teams that are used to watching good exciting football week after week would never accept Benitez's boring negative football. Thats the funny thing about the Real Madrid rumours about wanting Benitez - the fans will never allow it. I have never heard one Spanish person say a good word about him and Real Madrid fans slate him.

Probably coz he pipped them and barca to la liga twice. For a long time la liga had been dominated by these 2 teams.

I wouldnt be too happy if valencia came storming through and took 2 la liga titles.

Taking the limelight away from them 2.

And this point kinda brings me onto benitez being a cup manager. The 2 la liga titles proves that he can go the distance.

Microdot
21-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Probably coz he pipped them and barca to la liga twice. For a long time la liga had been dominated by these 2 teams.

I wouldnt be too happy if valencia came storming through and took 2 la liga titles.

Taking the limelight away from them 2.

And this point kinda brings me onto benitez being a cup manager. The 2 la liga titles proves that he can go the distance.

Benitez is a good enough manager to win the prem, no doubt.

22-02-2008, 11:08 AM
I just feel if we had another world class striker, 2 half decent wingers and full backs and possibly another creative midfielder coz i think alonso has lost a hell of alot of form (his last decent game was luton fa cup 2006) Then we could challenge.

Until we get the wingers and full backs sorted and another striker then theres no chance...

Theres more chance of the titanic docking in liverpool than us winning it until these problems are sorted.

Numeric
22-02-2008, 11:21 AM
I just feel if we had another world class striker, 2 half decent wingers and full backs and possibly another creative midfielder

you're not that far off then :lol:

22-02-2008, 12:51 PM
In reality no, nothing that cant be sorted upcoming transfer market.

will be interesting to see who united sign tho, knowing that scholes and giggs are near enough finished now. You will need cover.

Mind you, i reckon you should have a healthy transfer kitty with the sale of ronaldo to real in the summer and them now being the richest club in the world again it goes without saying thats easy money for them..

Theres talk of £45 mil for benzema aswell, some faces will have to go. most probs Ronaldos.

Microdot
22-02-2008, 01:54 PM
In reality no, nothing that cant be sorted upcoming transfer market.

will be interesting to see who united sign tho, knowing that scholes and giggs are near enough finished now. You will need cover.

Mind you, i reckon you should have a healthy transfer kitty with the sale of ronaldo to real in the summer and them now being the richest club in the world again it goes without saying thats easy money for them..

Theres talk of £45 mil for benzema aswell, some faces will have to go. most probs Ronaldos.

Anderson for Scholes, Nani for Giggs.
If we sell Ronnie (which I'd hope we'd only do if he insists on leaving), we'll need to sign another winger.
We deffo need another striker and I think Benzema is No. 1 target.

french_og
22-02-2008, 02:10 PM
I would not worry - there was a really good interview with Ronaldo in the Spanish Sport paper 'El Marca' yesterday. He said how proud he is to play for Man Utd and how much playing in the Premiership improves you as a footballer as you get very little time on the ball. He said he want to win as many trophies as possible with Utd and be remember in years after his career has finished. He also made reference to other players like Tevez and Rooney and said he enjoys playing with them as he gets the ball at lot.

He made no reference about playing for madrid in the future.

22-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Well hes not going too is he?

For reasons as you just proved it would be all over the english press...

And for a player who is better and excells when he has more time on the ball... Dribbling etc i think the spanish league he would rip it up..

I also think theres a stigma attached to the english that makes it hard for any player playing within the premier league to be called the worlds best.

I think even now still there spanish and italian league cannot bring themselves to admit that are league is the best in the world.

Numeric
22-02-2008, 04:55 PM
why exactly have you convinced yourself Cristiano will get off in the summer?

Traxx
22-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Cant see us gettin anywhere near what we spent in the summer just gone this time round ( coz our overdraft limit is bolloxed to the tune of 350 million and counting) so i wouldnt get your hope up about any major transfer changes. If alonso goes it will coast us more to replace him thats a cert, parry aka cunt track record in tranfers out is woeful. Shame were nothin more then a great side over a maximum of 2 legs.

nick_anarchy
23-02-2008, 03:37 PM
i think you all need to get your heads screwed on !! Ronaldo aint leaving utd who do all the kopites and ARSEnal scum shout this about ? ........
ah it must be when they get a hard on thinking about him in his shorts

Microdot
23-02-2008, 09:58 PM
I think even now still there spanish and italian league cannot bring themselves to admit that are league is the best in the world.

our league.

french_og
24-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Well hes not going too is he?

For reasons as you just proved it would be all over the english press...

And for a player who is better and excells when he has more time on the ball... Dribbling etc i think the spanish league he would rip it up..

I also think theres a stigma attached to the english that makes it hard for any player playing within the premier league to be called the worlds best.

Absolutely, Spanish football is slow and boring and only a handful of decent sides. Barca and Real Madrid by far the best. Athletic Madrid who are 4th in La Liga got knocked out of the UEFA Cup by Bolton. The Premiership is by miles stonger than La Liga.

Microdot
24-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Absolutely, Spanish football is slow and boring and only a handful of decent sides. Barca and Real Madrid by far the best. Athletic Madrid who are 4th in La Liga got knocked out of the UEFA Cup by Bolton. The Premiership is by miles stonger than La Liga.

don't know about stronger, but's definitely better, as in better to watch. more the complete package.
It's the best league in the world.

french_og
25-02-2008, 08:28 AM
It definately stronger and better, the premiership is competitive right down to midtable and then even Spurs is below that, in spain youh ave Barca and Madrid, Villareal who are 3rd and really not a very good side and Athletico 4th. After that you have teams like Espanyol who are very poor.
That said there seems to be more Spanish players playing for top sides in Spain and in England which is better for the Spanish national side who i think will probably win Euro 2008 this year.

278d7e64a374de26f==