PDA

View Full Version : Hleb on Arsenal post Henry

Will
23-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Alexander Hleb believes Thierry Henry's Arsenal departure has enabled Arsene Wenger's squad to play more as a team.

The Belarus international thinks that, due to Henry's immense presence, players would often simply play the ball to him, rather than expressing themselves in possession.

While retaining selfish attributes often benefits a striker, Hleb believes Henry's persistent desire for the ball meant his team-mates were left playing scared.

"I know why we are so good, the explanation is simple," said Hleb in The Sun.

Running the show

"Until last summer, we had just played for Thierry Henry. He was running the show. Whenever I got the ball, I was looking up, 'where's Henry?'

"I did not care to go for goal myself! And if once in a while I dared to pass the ball to someone else, he would shout, 'hey, I was free!'

"When he was on form, we won everything. When he was off form, we lost. That has all changed. We are not a one-man band any more.

"Nobody complains when I risk some dribbling. That's the reason for our good performances - we were set free."

I have to say, I think he became a bit of an ogre at Arsenal and it was time for him to go.

Numeric
23-02-2008, 03:25 PM
you can see by the way that Arsneal have played this season that Henry gettin off was a good thing for the club

Will
23-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Indeed.

Insomnia
23-02-2008, 08:09 PM
I thought we'd struggle without him to be honest...

Glad to see i have been proved wrong...

Microdot
23-02-2008, 11:46 PM
you can see by the way that Arsneal have played this season that Henry gettin off was a good thing for the club

no doubt

french_og
24-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Still think his comments are a little disrespectful to a player who gave Arsenal so much. It might be true but think those things dont need to be said.

278d7e64a374de26f==