PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer CDJ vs Denon DN-S

SlimboyPhatt
24-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Right boys, im looking to get some CD decks to go with a Xone:92 :D

The thing is, im back to the problem I had with my Decks. I bought Vestax as there (imo) far better than Techies, but obviously when playing out I have to adjust to them. Not a major problem but hey.

So here we go again, all clubs have CDJs, but the denons have far more features (including that nice rotating platter) and are nearly half the price!!!

So have any of you used the DN-s3500 ? Or have any opinons on which to get?

I look forward to a nice deep debate ;)

Cheers boys

Siege
25-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Id say just go for the CDJ1000...then when you come across them in the clubs,you know them inside out.

MARK ANXIOUS
25-02-2008, 12:55 AM
well i've been in this biz a long time eh hehehe and i would say, the mian thing is to go with what is standard in clubs.. (because who cares how good you are at home on your own set up if you can't cut it in a club) hehe..

it's cdj's all the way mate.. and djm800 if you have the cash ;)

SlimboyPhatt
25-02-2008, 09:15 AM
well i've been in this biz a long time eh hehehe and i would say, the mian thing is to go with what is standard in clubs.. (because who cares how good you are at home on your own set up if you can't cut it in a club) hehe..

it's cdj's all the way mate.. and djm800 if you have the cash ;)

So you are really telling me to get a DJM800 over an Allen & Heath Xone:92 ????

I really hope not. I can understand the suggestion of CDJ's, but Mark I thought you were a big advocate of the Xone 92.

DJCraig Ryan
25-02-2008, 02:43 PM
I haven't played on the Denons, so i cant comment there. But i have just got a pair of CDJs and they are class! Well worth the coin.

Also to what mark said, i havent got the cash for the DJM 800, so i will happily stick with my DJM600 lol.

MARK ANXIOUS
25-02-2008, 03:36 PM
So you are really telling me to get a DJM800 over an Allen & Heath Xone:92 ????

I really hope not. I can understand the suggestion of CDJ's, but Mark I thought you were a big advocate of the Xone 92.

i used to be. until 6 months after i actually bought one. the thing just falls apart, i'm forever having problems with the faders, crackles etc. the filter's stopped working after about a year. i actually sent the thing for repair at a qualified a+h place and ever since then, it's got progressively worse.

i remember when i first saw the a+e.. it was seriously great - the filter's are what made it for me - i nice smooth way of mixing. more and more clubs started to use them and i thought why not? but now, a few years on and less and less clubs use them and i don't see the point of keeping it anymore. the filter's on the djm800 are just as good and the fx section of the mixer is well worth it - especially cause if you learn that, you're gonna have it avaiable on the m600 and 500 (this will be 90% of clubs imo)... oh and i don't think i've seen a broken djm800 yet in a club...

another gripe about the a+h is the eq. you have to really know the bass cut off point for each style you're mixing (it tends to cut off too much in the mid range too at the lowest point), whereas with the pioneer, the bottom point is a good basis for most music...

so yeah, i'll stick by what i've learnt over the years - buy equipment that's widely available at most clubs. this way, you shine at more places, rather than at those that have what you've got...

either that or get there 6 hours before your set and get your own equipment ready - WEDDING DJ styley!!! LOL

MARK ANXIOUS
25-02-2008, 03:42 PM
PS Don't let this put you off buying the cdj's (i think you'll find this these days with everything) but why oh why are more and more cdj-1000's breaking on me in clubs??? two broke down on me this weekend.. bahhhhh, they don't make them like god old technics 1210's anymore eh...
:no:

SlimboyPhatt
25-02-2008, 03:50 PM
PS Don't let this put you off buying the cdj's (i think you'll find this these days with everything) but why oh why are more and more cdj-1000's breaking on me in clubs??? two broke down on me this weekend.. bahhhhh, they don't make them like god old technics 1210's anymore eh...

Oh you had to go and make my decision twice as hard by putting me of the xone too. Did you get the xone92 in the end or just had the 64? I had a 64, and the only prob i had was that the nuts would come loose on the filters.

Yeah, I think im gonna get some second hand CDJ 1000's. Does it really make a diference between MK2 / MK3?? the thing is the new CDJ400, has direct usb connectivity, which makes me wonder if they're about to bring out a 1000 mk4 ????????????

Microdot
25-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Right boys, im looking to get some CD decks to go with a Xone:92 :D

The thing is, im back to the problem I had with my Decks. I bought Vestax as there (imo) far better than Techies, but obviously when playing out I have to adjust to them. Not a major problem but hey.

So here we go again, all clubs have CDJs, but the denons have far more features (including that nice rotating platter) and are nearly half the price!!!

So have any of you used the DN-s3500 ? Or have any opinons on which to get?

I look forward to a nice deep debate ;)

Cheers boys

the Denons are better decks by far and have more features,
but you're probably better off getting the Pioneer because they are the ones you'll end up using in clubs.

If you're planning to buy 2 decks, I'd buy one of each. A Pioneer so you are familiar with them when you play in clubs and a Denon, simply because they're better.

If you don't play in clubs ever, get 2 Denons.

MARK ANXIOUS
26-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Oh you had to go and make my decision twice as hard by putting me of the xone too. Did you get the xone92 in the end or just had the 64? I had a 64, and the only prob i had was that the nuts would come loose on the filters.

Yeah, I think im gonna get some second hand CDJ 1000's. Does it really make a diference between MK2 / MK3?? the thing is the new CDJ400, has direct usb connectivity, which makes me wonder if they're about to bring out a 1000 mk4 ????????????

unfortunately i got the 64. but i've played on the 92's at quite a few clubs (sure it's a little more sturdy) and i still stick by my thoughts that my next mixer will be a m800 purely because pioneer seems to be pretty industry standard in most of the clubs i play.

also, yeah i've been on the pionner forums recently and ppl do seems to be wanting the features of the 400 in the 1000. it'll happen i think, but no real word on the street it seems about this so don't know how long we're gonna have to wait.

TechMouse
26-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Technics Decks are some of the most breathtakingly simple devices you will ever use in your life.

They start, they stop, they go faster and slower, they run at two different speeds. THAT'S ABOUT IT. They are also built like tanks.

Compare and contrast that with the feature set of your average CD deck, (more like a microcomputer than anything else), alongside the fact that it's a laser tracking microscopic dimples on a silver disc rather than a needle running in a groove on a vinyl, and you can imagine how they're much more prone to breaking.

Oh and they cost twice as much and don't keep their value. Go figure.

I'm slowly coming to the opinion that CD decks are a waste of time. If you need to mix mp3s alongside vinyl then get Traktor. It does all the same stuff, it lets you plug in VSTs and you can run virtual decks. Once you get past the physical interaction bit it's no problem. In fact, it's probably easier. But if you're a genuine motor skills luddite then get Serato or FS. Cheaper than two CD decks and you don't have to cart loads of CDs around.

If you don't need to mix alongside vinyl get Ableton. I've been mucking around with it for a bit now and once you free yourself from the notion that DJing is all about getting two bits of plastic spinning at the correct relative speed then you open up a whole load of new possibilities such as remixing on the fly, adding your own bits, even working towards something that could genuinely be considered a live PA.

I still love playing on decks by the way. In fact, I just spunked £100 on vinyl and it felt good (see you on Saturday, Microdot :;). I just think that Techno needs to move with the times, otherwise it's not really Techno is it.

SlimboyPhatt
26-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Technics Decks are some of the most breathtakingly simple devices you will ever use in your life.

They start, they stop, they go faster and slower, they run at two different speeds. THAT'S ABOUT IT. They are also built like tanks.

Compare and contrast that with the feature set of your average CD deck, (more like a microcomputer than anything else), alongside the fact that it's a laser tracking microscopic dimples on a silver disc rather than a needle running in a groove on a vinyl, and you can imagine how they're much more prone to breaking.

Oh and they cost twice as much and don't keep their value. Go figure.

I'm slowly coming to the opinion that CD decks are a waste of time. If you need to mix mp3s alongside vinyl then get Traktor. It does all the same stuff, it lets you plug in VSTs and you can run virtual decks. Once you get past the physical interaction bit it's no problem. In fact, it's probably easier. But if you're a genuine motor skills luddite then get Serato or FS. Cheaper than two CD decks and you don't have to cart loads of CDs around.

If you don't need to mix alongside vinyl get Ableton. I've been mucking around with it for a bit now and once you free yourself from the notion that DJing is all about getting two bits of plastic spinning at the correct relative speed then you open up a whole load of new possibilities such as remixing on the fly, adding your own bits, even working towards something that could genuinely be considered a live PA.

I still love playing on decks by the way. In fact, I just spunked £100 on vinyl and it felt good (see you on Saturday, Microdot :;). I just think that Techno needs to move with the times, otherwise it's not really Techno is it.

Well I have to agree on some of those points, BUT as Mark stated earlier : If you playing out in clubs, its not quites as simple as just turning up and playing, youd have to get all of your kit ready before, hence CD's will be here fo quite a while (as vinyl still is)

I love vinyl, infact i am part of the KVA (keep vinyl alive) but its just not as viable as it used to be, so time to join the digital era.

TechMouse
26-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Well I have to agree on some of those points, BUT as Mark stated earlier : If you playing out in clubs, its not quites as simple as just turning up and playing, youd have to get all of your kit ready before, hence CD's will be here fo quite a while (as vinyl still is)
Is carrying a laptop around that much more of an encumbrance than carrying around a record bag and a large CD wallet?

SlimboyPhatt
26-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Is carrying a laptop around that much more of an encumbrance than carrying around a record bag and a large CD wallet?

No not at all, but me reaching behind the mixer to plug it in whilst the prior DJ is in the middle of their set is.

I have seen it done, needles jump, speakers pop etc. Its not fair on the DJ before you to do that. Sure some clubs may have a nice easy ability to do it, but not many I am sure.

And beatmatching on CDJ's is easy enough as it is, but moving onto using something like live which does all the tempo for you (which can obviously bring some great posibilities) would just be too easy / not as fun.

DJCraig Ryan
26-02-2008, 04:52 PM
I love vinyl, infact i am part of the KVA (keep vinyl alive) but its just not as viable as it used to be, so time to join the digital era.

Also, were you are splashing out like £6 a record, you can have 6 mp3s for that at 99p.

DJCraig Ryan
26-02-2008, 04:54 PM
the Denons are better decks by far and have more features,
but you're probably better off getting the Pioneer because they are the ones you'll end up using in clubs.

If you're planning to buy 2 decks, I'd buy one of each. A Pioneer so you are familiar with them when you play in clubs and a Denon, simply because they're better.

If you don't play in clubs ever, get 2 Denons.

If denons are better, why are pioneers club standard?

TechMouse
26-02-2008, 06:11 PM
No not at all, but me reaching behind the mixer to plug it in whilst the prior DJ is in the middle of their set is.

I have seen it done, needles jump, speakers pop etc. Its not fair on the DJ before you to do that. Sure some clubs may have a nice easy ability to do it, but not many I am sure.
All valid points, but all easily overcome with a bit of planning and forethought.

And beatmatching on CDJ's is easy enough as it is, but moving onto using something like live which does all the tempo for you (which can obviously bring some great posibilities) would just be too easy / not as fun.
I think you'd be surprised. I've been having loads of fun jamming 3, 4, even 5 tunes together and adding my own loops, using effects and stuff. It's just a different take on it.

I somehow feel we've lost our way a bit. DJing has become more about the ever-mystical art of keeping spinning plastic discs in sync, and less about the music. It's just a motor skill, and ultimately a motor skill that anyone who can count to 4 can learn.

Tune selection, set progression, interesting mixing - these are the things that put a good DJ head and shoulders above the rest. Not how great their beatmatching is.

If denons are better, why are pioneers club standard?
Pioneer got to market first and ended up installed in all the big clubs first.

In fairness, Vestax make technically superior decks, but Technics got the market share first.

On a personal level I'm more comfortable with Technics, but there's no denying that Vestax are great machines.

RDR
27-02-2008, 08:04 AM
All valid points, but all easily overcome with a bit of planning and forethought.

I think you'd be surprised. I've been having loads of fun jamming 3, 4, even 5 tunes together and adding my own loops, using effects and stuff. It's just a different take on it.

I somehow feel we've lost our way a bit. DJing has become more about the ever-mystical art of keeping spinning plastic discs in sync, and less about the music. It's just a motor skill, and ultimately a motor skill that anyone who can count to 4 can learn.

Tune selection, set progression, interesting mixing - these are the things that put a good DJ head and shoulders above the rest. Not how great their beatmatching is.

Pioneer got to market first and ended up installed in all the big clubs first.

In fairness, Vestax make technically superior decks, but Technics got the market share first.

On a personal level I'm more comfortable with Technics, but there's no denying that Vestax are great machines.

Try getting vestax repaired and its a different matter all togther.

The days of beatmatching are over really. i agree with that, unless you're there to watch the DJ skill you came to watch is all about beat matching. which its not .

I wonder how many people still want to watch a DJ hovering over a laptop rather than on the decks as in the orbit people hanging over the DJ booth just watching...

bloody vinyl voyeurs!

MARK ANXIOUS
27-02-2008, 10:36 AM
hahaha check the way this discussion is going lol :)

Si the Sigh
27-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Vinyl vs. CD - Round 78

*ding ding*

:)

SlimboyPhatt
27-02-2008, 10:48 AM
hahaha check the way this discussion is going lol :)

Oh no look what ive started!!!

Well ive decided im gonna get two CDJ-1000 MK3's, prob second hand. And a Xone92 to go with em, time to get saving. (or see if I can get a new credit card)

TechMouse
27-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Vinyl vs. CD - Round 78

*ding ding*

:)
Just to clarify, I'm not even comparing vinyl and CD.

I love vinyl and I'm sure I will continue to buy it and use it.

What I am saying is that having made the jump to digital it seems a bit retarded to try and shoehorn it into the vinyl interaction model.

When the motor car was invented, we didn't try to make it run on train tracks.

That said if you're hell bent on it (or you're a turntablist) then something like Serato or FS makes more sense to me than CD decks, and it's cheaper.

Microdot
27-02-2008, 10:57 PM

even though they're no longer the best record decks on the market ;)

see ya saturday mate. gonna have a couple of dudes (one's a rapper over to play the fav in leeds) from LA with us getting their first taste the rave scene. should be an eye opener for em.

echodek
04-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Has anyone used both Pioneer and Dennon CDJs? I'm used to using the Pioneer, but the club I'm playing at this weekend has Dennons... are there any significant differences in the way they behave? Does the Dennon have all the looping functions etc?

Microdot
04-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Has anyone used both Pioneer and Dennon CDJs? I'm used to using the Pioneer, but the club I'm playing at this weekend has Dennons... are there any significant differences in the way they behave? Does the Dennon have all the looping functions etc?

yes, the Denon has all the features of the Pioneer plus a few more.
If I were you I'd have a practise spin on em in your local music store first if only to learn how to access the various features and functions.

278d7e64a374de26f==