PDA

View Full Version : Techno is changing?

alberto
23-11-2002, 01:12 AM
Reading the new breed of techno thread it was mentioned by deafmosaic that techno is changing... i feel the same way and was wondering how all you felt about it. Don't know where exactly but it's normal for techno to change. Been feeling lately that people have been on auto pilot producers and dj's alike and that something is about to bust out of the ranks. Techno sure isn't "Progressive" music thank god!!!

I say more synths and melodies... just my preference...

MARKEG
25-11-2002, 09:30 PM
Mmm.... synths and melodies? I really can't see it. Add synths and melodies to techno and it automatically turns into electropop. I suppose it depends on what sytle of synth you use...

As for techno changing... well yes, it's always changing. But like always, it's up to the producers to push their sound to be better produced and totally unique. Then the new styles are made that everyone copies and again, we move on.

miromiric.
26-11-2002, 04:28 AM
>>>>Add synths and melodies to techno and it automatically turns into electropop<<<<<

not necesarily i think. look at aril brikha or 65d mavericks, ruskin, etc.

>>>>But like always, it's up to the producers to push their sound to be better produced and totally unique. Then the new styles are made that everyone copies and again, we move on.<<<<<<<

yup, i absolutly agree on this one. techno is changing on daily basis by few real T-heads and then followed by others. over and over and over again !

DJZeMig_L
26-11-2002, 04:50 AM
It's funny that u bring that up... The bloody distr. are rigging the game... it is getting increasingly difficult 2 vent any new or different techno... 4 most distributor u either do a copycat techno or u get diced!

Fuc*** he** we should b open minded 'cause that's what techno started and still strives from!!

Z

MARKEG
26-11-2002, 05:09 AM
F*******ck the distributors... they only want what sells...

there are not many true underground distributors out there...

i agree... ruskin etc use gr8 melodies... but they are always strings... not synths.... use synths and it becomes retro??? i dunno... someone name me a techno producer that uses SYNTH melodies....

miromiric.
26-11-2002, 05:40 AM
shufflemaster, but those synth tracks of his are really pop lol.

z0ki
27-11-2002, 02:38 AM
how about heil or kowalski.....

-z

alberto
27-11-2002, 02:38 AM
that was my main gripe about the copycat techno... can't stand hearing people do the same thing as others... but guess that's to be expected... and regarding synths i say more cause i like them... and hopefully one day we can live in a labelless world... why does everything have to be referred to something like tribal or techy or housey... i understand the need for it but it's annoying to me.... oh well

and what i like these days are producers like johannes heil and diego hostettler but i guess you could say that some of its not techno...

and think of synths as intruments that can produce chords and melodies much like a piano or an orchestra... then look at how many different styles of music you can create with a piano... just stating the obvious i know

alberto
27-11-2002, 02:39 AM
that was my main gripe about the copycat techno... can't stand hearing people do the same thing as others... but guess that's to be expected... and regarding synths i say more cause i like them... and hopefully one day we can live in a labelless world... why does everything have to be referred to something like tribal or techy or housey... i understand the need for it but it's annoying to me.... oh well

and what i like these days are producers like johannes heil and diego hostettler but i guess you could say that some of its not techno...

and think of synths as intruments that can produce chords and melodies much like a piano or an orchestra... then look at how many different styles of music you can create with a piano... just stating the obvious i know

alberto
27-11-2002, 02:42 AM
oh yea forgot kowalski... and sorry for the double post..

scienceofuse
30-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Yep, Kowalski surely has lots of great synths and melodies, especially on his "Response" album... But the thing is, IMO, that you have to be careful with the sounds you choose and the way you modulate them, because too much can sound very cheesy... Listen to Scooter or that kind of shit and you'll hear what I'm talking about...

Stuart
30-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Problem is, most of the hard stuff just is becoming a noise.

basslinejunkie
30-01-2004, 05:06 PM
i know exactly what u mean stu.ive heard alot of techno recently thats just hard 4 the sake of being hard if that makes sense.dare i say it even sum of glenn wilsons recent stuff i havent been 2 keen on,but like u say techno is changing as it always does so maybe this is just a phase.

el_satan666
30-01-2004, 05:46 PM
I know what you mean about Glenn's recent stuff. From what I gather, he claims he is pushing it on by calling it "post-acid". But you can only call something "post" if it's developed on FROM something, not going back to "pre-acid" and trying to start over. ( IMO )

The Overfiend
30-01-2004, 11:48 PM
Evolution is imminent.

Tony
31-01-2004, 12:11 AM
i know exactly what u mean stu.ive heard alot of techno recently thats just hard 4 the sake of being hard if that makes sense.dare i say it even sum of glenn wilsons recent stuff i havent been 2 keen on,but like u say techno is changing as it always does so maybe this is just a phase.

i've taken the 'hard for hards sake' thing to an extreme, just to test the waters, on loads of different sorts of music. so if people are caning out hard loopy compressed blah blah then i'm super yawning.

evolution will come from a lot of different pressures - new ideas from people, new distribution, only room for the best, its got to impress, and stop wasting plastic, ha!

miles
31-01-2004, 12:41 AM
[quote="MARK EG"]Mmm.... synths and melodies? I really can't see it. Add synths and melodies to techno and it automatically turns into electropop. I suppose it depends on what sytle of synth you use...

Where have you been for the last 20 years????

jake
31-01-2004, 02:12 AM
i like synths that sound like samples and samples that sound like synths.

jake
31-01-2004, 02:15 AM
oh yeah paul macs "push came to shove" has some great synths that i cant stop listening to.

SlavikSvensk
31-01-2004, 02:40 AM
i feel the need to remind everyone of the fact that techno was originally all about synths and melodies! you don't get more melodic that rhythm is rhythm. the stripped-down, 100% percussive stuff is new by comparison.

that said, another problem melody-aspiring producers fall into is the "i want to sound like my detroit records" syndrome. that's why i don't think aril brikha's album on transmat really did it for me.

i think the most innovative melodic techno i've heard in past years is the mr. barth album on svek. of course, that was 5 or more years ago...

Komplex
01-02-2004, 04:08 AM
and a great album too. that was cari lekebusch no?

slavestudios
01-02-2004, 04:16 AM
Problem is, most of the hard stuff just is becoming a noise.

BRING IT ON :twisted:

i think sonic manipulation will replace melody & harmony in certain areas & i for one cant wait.

go check out NIN 'fixed' and tell me it doesnt make u shiver :twisted:

SlavikSvensk
01-02-2004, 05:03 AM
and a great album too. that was cari lekebusch no?

sure was!

romelpotter
01-02-2004, 05:15 AM
I love the meanest techno possible but it has to do stuff. a four bar MMEEAN loop for 5 mins just doesn't do it for me,. can you have mean and melodic in the same sentence. :?:

The Overfiend
01-02-2004, 05:27 AM
You either want to bang your head like an 18 year old or
you want to bang your head to good music.

It's like the difference between Schranz and Proper Techno.

wenna
01-02-2004, 11:13 AM
i'm really liking funk d void at the moment, maybe he's onto something........

herman
01-02-2004, 01:33 PM
oh yeah paul macs "push came to shove" has some great synths that i cant stop listening to.

yeah thats a great album that every home should have one ;)

basslinejunkie
01-02-2004, 01:35 PM
exactly s.o.s. i love being pounded in2 the floor dont get me wrong,but not just mindless boom boom boom 4 5 mins,it has 2 have summit about it also.proper techno as u said.

killarava2day
01-02-2004, 02:05 PM

Are you on extended vacations or something. Anything up coming?

Ritzi Lee
01-02-2004, 02:11 PM
Techno is changing constantly.
So what. It's a choice.
And it's positive...
The main goal for techno is constant evolvement..

The Overfiend
01-02-2004, 03:03 PM
The main goal for techno is constant evolvement..

:clap:

slavestudios
01-02-2004, 03:13 PM
well, its part of the word 'technology' so i always assumed that techno wasd about constantly movin forward both in sound & the menas by which that sound is made

http://www.perpetualelectronic.co.uk/

http://www.club-nut.co.uk/audio/PeteDonaldson%20-%20Sound%20Of%20Resonate%20Guest%20Mix%20Vol%202%2 0(October%2003).mp3

herman
01-02-2004, 09:00 PM

been working on a new album for the past few weeks but there is some stuff forth coming on ingoma,stimulus,primevil,primate and vince watson's new label.

Stuart
02-02-2004, 12:53 PM

I was going through a load of new stuff that I've just got. All the production and everything as always is really high quality apart from the flimsy plastic from europe (which are obviously pressed cheaply) which means end production quality is poor, so sound definition is lost making noisy tracks quite unbearable to those people just discovering the techno scene.
As you say stuff is just hard for the sake of being hard, people need to take the quantity to quality ratio in to consideration and produce fewer tracks rather than churning them out.

One question though. Have you noticed there are alot of tracks coming out that has far to much hiss in it?

The Overfiend
02-02-2004, 04:34 PM

been working on a new album for the past few weeks but there is some stuff forth coming on ingoma,stimulus,primevil,primate and vince watson's new label.

Would I be wrong in Assuming this is Paul Mac? If so
Cards On the Table
f*ckin Kicked Ass!

herman
02-02-2004, 06:13 PM

Would I be wrong in Assuming this is Paul Mac? If so
Cards On the Table
f*ckin Kicked Ass!

thanks appreciated

MARKEG
03-02-2004, 01:12 AM
you're right. it rocked.

davethedrummer
03-02-2004, 03:24 AM
F*******ck the distributors... they only want what sells...

there are not many true underground distributors out there...

i agree... ruskin etc use gr8 melodies... but they are always strings... not synths.... use synths and it becomes retro??? i dunno... someone name me a techno producer that uses SYNTH melodies....
<i></i>

i've heard synths on hundreds of techno records from adam beyer to marco bailey to jeff mills to just about anyone else.

no i think you mean the "type" of melody you use no necessarily whether it come from a synth or not "synth" is bit general a term to use i think.
i mean sythns make all kinds of weird noises these days don't they?

don't mean to split hairs here but i'm determined to get some synths back into techno

just been listening to lot's of fcomm and youngsters stuff

very techno influenced and really deep too
i'm getting into it as the modern percussive sound is leaving me colder and colder these days.

anyway lets just set the record straight here:

melody is not only defined by some horrble cheesy nonsense you hear in commercial music

melody is an integral part of music right down to the atonal harmonics we like in techno today. so there's no reason why it can't be possible to still use synth melodies in techno.imo

just need to look at a slightly bigger picture i guess.

Dustin Zahn
03-02-2004, 03:37 AM
Hello everyone. Petar Dundov uses synths with melodies. His tracks kick ass. Check out Stewart Walker's live extracts album. I don't consider that minimal techno...it has really good synth and percussive work. Mr. Paul Mac also shows excellent use of synths as does Marco Carola. There are some other quite poppy acts such as Technasia that do it quite well (from a production stand-point). There's plenty of excellent use of synths out there.

The problem with synths and darker/heavier techno is that the artists often want to shoot for atmosphere rather than a poppy hook, so they use pads and sounds with reverb instead of a hook. Bummer. Bye.

scienceofuse
03-02-2004, 02:09 PM
What about Johannes Heil? His "20,000 leagues under the skin" album is filled with groovy melodic synth-lines and his other productions are also very synth-based... But, IMO, there are more straight-up percussive records being pressed than synthy techno with hooks and melodies, simply because the percussive records are more usable - when you mix two synthy tracks there is a bigger possibility of the tunes clashing instead of merging into one... The problem, however, is that if I hear a mix consisting of just percussive, loopy techno, I will probably get bored before the first breakdown. But at least here in Slovenia, there is a tendency for DJs to play only that so most techno here is really all the same, which is a shame as it drives the audience away from parties where only the local DJs are playing, cos everyone knows what to expect... Maybe it's just me, but I always thought that with a good DJ, you should never know what to expect next, right?

Komplex
03-02-2004, 10:05 PM
simply because the percussive records are more usable

and easier to write/produce/pump out of the ass while sleeping.

tioneb
03-02-2004, 10:23 PM
synths in techno sounds nice !!! even for non melodic stuff , check igancio - virton
.. check also diego's last album a1 track , or his last one on the ka-10-100 (funkey sythy bass)

anyways whats importatn is what youre doing and not how youre doing it ...

scienceofuse
03-02-2004, 11:21 PM
igancio - virton = great track.

Ritzi Lee
04-02-2004, 12:01 AM
2 scienceofuse: You f*ck*d up the layout!! :eh:

Stuart
04-02-2004, 11:21 AM
igancio - virton = great track.

Do something about that massive avatar.

MARKEG
04-02-2004, 12:00 PM
yeah come on hahahaha... i'll have to delete it. that's waaaaay to big

The Overfiend
05-02-2004, 12:45 AM
I thought techno was the music that had no boundaries.
How about I'm going to start using sitars for melodies.
Will I be a sell out or not within techno?
Please and if it's too drummy and percussive?
If you don't like it don't buy it.
Every body is complaining about this isnt techno or that isnt techno.
Well maybe if you looked beyond the 5 top selling producers of the moment, you would find a shit storm of different kinds of techno out there.

Intelligent? Go to the Kanzleramt Camp
Hard? Liberators Crew, Wilsons Team
In Between look to italy.
Theres plenty out there. LOOK FOR IT!

dan the acid man
05-02-2004, 01:21 AM
im looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im definetly going to spend some time this year finding some new labels and producers as well as sticking with the ones i love :dance:

crime
05-02-2004, 11:34 AM
I thought techno was the music that had no boundaries.
Every body is complaining about this isnt techno or that isnt techno.

Funny how you get some people who spit these rhetorics, sometimes even in the same conversation... (Not that you were sam ;) )
I think with the distribution situation changing, there's going to be a lot more scope for interesting stuff coming thru...

miromiric.
05-02-2004, 12:14 PM
its a shit business, its a shit business...

gunjack
06-02-2004, 04:21 AM
where the fuk is mark these days?

MARKEG
06-02-2004, 05:12 AM
mark who?

SlavikSvensk
06-02-2004, 06:49 AM
what i love about this thread is that you can never tell when anyone is writing...

...according to what i'm reading on my computer, mark just travelled forward in time from the year 2002 to ask us who mark is.

does that mean i can go back to a time when techno was less fragmented and people listened to BOTH hard and melodic stuff?

i guess a lot still do so...er...good job everyone.

scienceofuse
06-02-2004, 10:36 AM
My sincere apologies... I realized that I ****ed up far too late - sorry about that...

SlavikSvensk
06-02-2004, 06:11 PM
no, old or not, this thread is always relevant. and even more fun when your overly burdened cpu screws up the html and you see people's joining dates in place of when they wrote...like mine just did. woops!

jonnyspeed
06-02-2004, 07:49 PM
im looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im definetly going to spend some time this year finding some new labels and producers as well as sticking with the ones i love :dance:

Man, i been doing that more and more - but I've only got about 10 tunes that were mistakes - like a couple of geezer tracks and a bit of hard house that's got fu.cked up breaks that's mad when your mullered and seems to still go down well but isn't really me, if you know what I mean.

278d7e64a374de26f==