PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Technics... (speed issues?)

Hakka.
17-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Got a problem with my decks... 3 good mixers have noticed it in 48 hours now when using my decks, so it cant be just me having a funny time on my own equipment at the moment.

I'm not sure if its a pitch issue or a turntable problem, but it appears that no matter how long you spend beat matching... the beats slip. It gets to the point where you can making nano-meter adjustments to the pitch to compensate where it goes out, but alas, either adjustment makes it too fast or too slow and the beats run out after abour 32/64 beat bar.

Its anoying... cause you constantly have to keep check on it. Its as if there pitch is fluctuating on one (or both!) as some times it stays in longer, sometimes it doesn't.

I've put it down to me just having a bad day but I've had a few different users in the last few days and they've all seem to struggled with it.

It makes doing CD's near impossible... (well, I can't have even the slightest mistake on my cd's if I can help it).

I've never had them serviced and there about 3 years old. My room can be one of the most dusty places of the universe, and I often leave my lids off.

Any ideas?

If I put two copies of the same record on and match them perfectly the pitches are about 1.2% out from each other, again, this a sign that my decks are just getting on?

They've been caned (as well as me) on many weekends... lol

MARKEG
17-12-2003, 11:23 PM
right look at the red strobe on the side. the dots shouldnt move in the middle and then when you adjust the pitch they should gradually start getting faster as you move the pitch control. and it should be a constant change - no serious jerking. let me know.

Hakka.
17-12-2003, 11:34 PM
Ok man I will give it a try.

ok... in the dark I've had a good look. Its hard to tell, as I'm not sure what to look for or what's not right.

As I slowley speed them up they seem to move in a 'U' shape... very slowey. Imagine writing loads of uuuuuuuuu on a bit of paper, the speed sort of moves like that.

Ok that makes no sense, but basically they don't move (well apart from on the spot) when pitch is at '0'. From there to +8% they centre dots move and get fast as the pitch does, but always jumbling in that 'u' shape, I guess to the motion of the deck.

Probs best I record it using my digital camera, and upload a movie shot of it.

Thanks for giving it a go.

EmotionComplex
17-12-2003, 11:38 PM
due to a cameras frame rate it may not show the strobe properly mate so the dots would look differnt

Hakka.
17-12-2003, 11:41 PM
the dots basically wiggle a in a circular motion, you can notice it more as you speed them up slowley.

Rats, I wish I could explain this better.

EmotionComplex
17-12-2003, 11:43 PM
1 way to check is to set the turntable to 0 then check to see if the larger circles speed it fluctuating, speeding up or slowing down, it should appear to remain stationary but if thers a problem with the quartz on the turntable it may fall out of sync

Hakka.
26-12-2003, 01:38 PM
AHAHH!!! I HAVE FOUND THE OFFENDING PROBLEM!!!

My deck was massively at an angle!

One of the legs (probs when I last moved them back home from October after an after party) was completely hangin off and woudned to its least. So it was about an inch in the air at one corner... so evry spin was speeding up and slowing down on the heaviest points. I guess this explains the "U" shape I was describing.

DOH!

it feels much better now.

Oh well... - I'm glad I've found the problem.

K Front
26-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Glad you sorted it mate, i must admit i found it quite hard to keep the beats inline the other day.

Hakka.
26-12-2003, 02:51 PM
Glad you sorted it mate, i must admit i found it quite hard to keep the beats inline the other day.

Yeah man it was well solid and confusing. One minute it would sound fine and then it would slip!

But its working really well now!

:)

Paul Nisbet
26-12-2003, 04:38 PM
AHAHH!!! I HAVE FOUND THE OFFENDING PROBLEM!!!

My deck was massively at an angle!

One of the legs (probs when I last moved them back home from October after an after party) was completely hangin off and woudned to its least. So it was about an inch in the air at one corner... so evry spin was speeding up and slowing down on the heaviest points. I guess this explains the "U" shape I was describing.

DOH!

it feels much better now.

Oh well... - I'm glad I've found the problem.

doh!!

Glad its sorted mate, must ave been rough on u!

DJ Corbzy
31-12-2003, 12:22 AM
Doh Mark! :lol:

Carl
31-12-2003, 02:06 AM
what ya like mate :roll: :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==