PDA

View Full Version : grrrrr vestax pdx d3s vs technics

Jay Pace
04-03-2008, 02:27 PM
I owned technics. They were ok, "my first proper decks". The pitch on one of them went after a few years, I had it replaced. The tone arms were always a little wonky. The leads hardwired into the deck were shite, and I had to have them replaced as well.

I eventually sold them on for what I bought them for.

And bought a pair of these:
http://www.djsound.ru/dj/filebox/1316/pdx_d3s_190.jpg

Any they whupped technics. The pitch was infinitely better, the tone arm vastly improved, better torque, tracking, better pitch range and a digital jogstick to avoid the need to push the platter. Tiny little adjustments in pitch can be made with a joystick.

Beautiful decks, and I love them.

And for some reason they have no resale value at all. Whereas the technics I bought over ten years ago for £250 are still selling second hand for £250.

So they're going into storage for the next three years to gather dust, because I'm not selling them for £50 each - which seems to be all they're worth.

Buyer beware - your kit will lose all its value if its not hero branded for tech-fetishists who put brand before quality.

Grrr.

SlimboyPhatt
04-03-2008, 03:03 PM
I owned technics. They were ok, "my first proper decks". The pitch on one of them went after a few years, I had it replaced. The tone arms were always a little wonky. The leads hardwired into the deck were shite, and I had to have them replaced as well.

I eventually sold them on for what I bought them for.

And bought a pair of these:
http://www.djsound.ru/dj/filebox/1316/pdx_d3s_190.jpg

Any they whupped technics. The pitch was infinitely better, the tone arm vastly improved, better torque, tracking, better pitch range and a digital jogstick to avoid the need to push the platter. Tiny little adjustments in pitch can be made with a joystick.

Beautiful decks, and I love them.

And for some reason they have no resale value at all. Whereas the technics I bought over ten years ago for £250 are still selling second hand for £250.

So they're going into storage for the next three years to gather dust, because I'm not selling them for £50 each - which seems to be all they're worth.

Buyer beware - your kit will lose all its value if its not hero branded for tech-fetishists who put brand before quality.

Grrr.

Dont sell em. You'll probably want to mix vinyl again at some point. Why use anything but the best brand of decks???

Vestax forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I have pdx-2000's)

RDR
04-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Getting them repaired is horrible though...

Jay Pace
04-03-2008, 04:03 PM
I had a tonearm replaced, after a book fell on it and broke it. Cost £125.
Stung, but no real complaints.

I'm pretty confidant when I dust them off after 3 years in storage they will still shit on 95% of decks on the market.

Beats me why they aren't worth anything though. They got discontinued, but are still a cracking piece of kit.

RDR
04-03-2008, 06:31 PM
I had a tonearm replaced, after a book fell on it and broke it. Cost £125.
Stung, but no real complaints.

I'm pretty confidant when I dust them off after 3 years in storage they will still shit on 95% of decks on the market.

Beats me why they aren't worth anything though. They got discontinued, but are still a cracking piece of kit.

Because of all the reasons you outlined.

and 125 for a tone arm...

there you go.

Jay Pace
04-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Technics tonearm costs £70, add £50 for someone to install it and your looking at the same price.

Some brands just age well I suppose.

RDR
04-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Technics tonearm costs £70, add £50 for someone to install it and your looking at the same price.

Some brands just age well I suppose.

no point in paying anyone to install it... not for me anyhoo.. piece of piss. you can get otne arms cheaper than that as well.

Siege
05-03-2008, 03:48 PM
ive had enough of technics v vestax?

TechMouse
05-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Beats me why they aren't worth anything though.
The resale value is just a reflection of market demand.

Clubs don't routinely install Vestax, so the demand isn't as high as Technics.

I don't know an audio device that keeps its value quite as well as a Technics record deck. It's remarkable.

If you're looking for a babysitter, I keep meaning to learn how to mix on 3 decks.

I'll have to ask the Mrs though - recall our previous discussion on storage space: I'm probably on thin ice already, insisting on a corner of the living room for decks and records.

Jay Pace
05-03-2008, 07:23 PM
ive had enough of technics v vestax?

Fair enough, but this is more about resale value of some gear being massively higher than others.

Just suprised me, thats all.

Siege
06-03-2008, 02:26 AM
Fair enough, but this is more about resale value of some gear being massively higher than others.

Just suprised me, thats all.

fairdoos

Microdot
06-03-2008, 08:52 PM
the vestax turntables shit all over technics.
much better decks on every level.

RDR
07-03-2008, 07:06 AM

Never used these ones but i liked the PDX3's from years ago and they were really reliable, HATED the PDX2000, horrible plasticy things that were great for scratching but broke contstantly and had a crossfader so light that you could blow on it to move it (not good)

TechMouse
07-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Betamax was technically superior to VHS.

Microdot
07-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Betamax was technically superior to VHS.

no doubt.

RDR
08-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Sony still went with the format of betamax, it became digibeta and was widley used in the TV and Video edit industry for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betacam

Check that link, Sony lost the consumer end battle but where was most of the recorded content recorded to??? Digibeta / Betcam SP

Kinda makes a mockery of the whole thing :lol:

Microdot
08-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Sony still went with the format of betamax, it became digibeta and was widley used in the TV and Video edit industry for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betacam

Check that link, Sony lost the consumer end battle but where was most of the recorded content recorded to??? Digibeta / Betcam SP

Kinda makes a mockery of the whole thing :lol:

betamax video tapes are awesome for recording audio onto.

TechMouse
08-03-2008, 05:32 PM
betamax video tapes are awesome for recording audio onto.
How does one go about that, Jon?

RDR
09-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Via their audio input.

seriously though, if memory serves a lot of the later models have DIN style inputs which means you can use a DIN to L/R audio and Composite Video

Microdot
11-03-2008, 02:13 PM
How does one go about that, Jon?

as RDR says, using din leads is the best way.

RDR
11-03-2008, 03:40 PM
as RDR says, using din leads is the best way.

My word i remembered something LOL!

TechMouse
11-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Ah, interesting.

So you only use the audio bit of the tape then?

RDR
11-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Ah, interesting.

So you only use the audio bit of the tape then?

Pass, i do know people who used it for compressing drums, by recording at a slow speed and saturating the tape then speeding up and recording back you get some VERY tight sounding breaks. Fat as FK

278d7e64a374de26f==