PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Time

Barely Human
04-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Need to get a new laptop to take with me to Oz. Needed for audio work and Im on a buget of around £500. Ive narrowed it down to a couple at the moment -

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139120

Seams a good deal, but ive not had that much experience with Fujitsu Siemens and it has no firewire. I can always get a firewire card for the pcmcia slot anyway.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/138879

Im pretty sure this has firewire, but has smaller hdd and ive got no idea how good Asus are when it comes to laptops. Theres a couple of them that seam to fit into this price range aswell.

Is there any others people would reccomend. And im not buying another Dell ;)

Thanks in advance.

xfive
05-03-2008, 12:24 AM
I have an asus a8jp from about a year ago.
It's rock solid and I use it as my daily computer and for gigging etc.
Never had a problem.

RDR
05-03-2008, 07:00 AM
Second hand macbook.

Or if you hate MACs.. and if memory serves i think you live in that camp Al. then make sure you get Core2Duo mate. get the 64bit chip.

messyfuture
05-03-2008, 07:56 AM
i'd wait and get it in oz

my mates brother was back during the summer and he told me the price of his laptop (cnat remember how much) but i was shocked at how cheap it was

maybe check some oz websites

TechMouse
05-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Toshiba

RDR
05-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Toshiba

Gazunheidt

TechMouse
05-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Gazunheidt
Danker.

Barely Human
05-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Chris - Nah, not a Mac man mate ;) Deffo geting a Core 2 Duo though.

Messy - Not sure if I want to do that. I want to make sure ive got it all set up and working before I leave so i know i havent forgot something ;) possibility though.

Techmouse - Any particular Toshiba you would reccomend in that price range? Ive heard good things about Toshiba.

TechMouse
06-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Techmouse - Any particular Toshiba you would reccomend in that price range? Ive heard good things about Toshiba.

I got an Equium A100, which cost around £500, but this was a year-and-a-bit ago.

The prices you get from PC World or Currys are as good as anywhere.

You'll probably want to downgrade to XP.

Elvio Neto
20-03-2008, 04:37 AM
IQ even my mother have one toshiba using XP (allmout 4 or 5 years) , they are rock solid , no breaks or stupid slowdowns

fell off in the ground 2 times and still working like a charme

i tested many ACER and HP laptops , none compares to toshiba :)

Barely Human
20-03-2008, 08:14 AM
IQ even my mother have one toshiba using XP (allmout 4 or 5 years) , they are rock solid , no breaks or stupid slowdowns

fell off in the ground 2 times and still working like a charme

i tested many ACER and HP laptops , none compares to toshiba :)

It was a toss up between a Toshiba and a Fujitsu in the end. Went for the Fujitsu as it just had the edge on spec. Must say im quite impressed. Well built and good performance for the price -

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139120

Microdot
20-03-2008, 09:28 PM

Microdot
20-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Second hand macbook.

Or if you hate MACs.. and if memory serves i think you live in that camp Al. then make sure you get Core2Duo mate. get the 64bit chip.

only retards hate macs.

Barely Human
20-03-2008, 11:57 PM
only retards hate macs.

:lol:

To get anything like the spec i got in a macbook, then I would have to spend over £1100. Im sorry, they're good, but over priced.

Elvio Neto
21-03-2008, 03:58 AM
if you guys buy a core duo with the same specs of one mac , you can install mac operating system without problems... even mac osx will recognize it like a mac book or mac pro in the system properties

if you dont have the same specs no problem theres a lot of patched mac osx dvd´s that support normal intel P4 /coreduo/quadcore/ and AMD pc´s

i tested myself and runs exelente with all apps included logic pro 8.1

the only problem is you have to get one usb or firewire soundcard supported by mac with mac drivers

Microdot
21-03-2008, 04:56 PM
if you guys buy a core duo with the same specs of one mac , you can install mac operating system without problems... even mac osx will recognize it like a mac book or mac pro in the system properties

if you dont have the same specs no problem theres a lot of patched mac osx dvd´s that support normal intel P4 /coreduo/quadcore/ and AMD pc´s

i tested myself and runs exelente with all apps included logic pro 8.1

the only problem is you have to get one usb or firewire soundcard supported by mac with mac drivers

does anyone make a soundcard that ain't supported by apple these days?
can't say I've ever had to install drivers in my powerbook either, it generally just recognises the hardware as soon as it's connected.

didn't realise you could run OSX on a pc though. gonna have to look into that.

Elvio Neto
21-03-2008, 09:39 PM
didn't realise you could run OSX on a pc though. gonna have to look into that.

Since apple start releasing INTEL MACS all that was possible...

first some programers patched the mac osx kernel to support all pc´s ( first intel pc´s and later amd pc´s too)

but recently things are even more easy the hardwares are allmoust the same , you just need to buy a pc with the same specs of a mac , no need to patched dvd´s anymore to run mac osx in pc :)

theledge
21-03-2008, 11:08 PM
:lol:

To get anything like the spec i got in a macbook, then I would have to spend over £1100. Im sorry, they're good, but over priced.

Expensive, not over-priced.

TechMouse
25-03-2008, 11:04 AM
PC World are doing the Toshiba A210 for £369 at the moment, which is a ****ing steal.

278d7e64a374de26f==