PDA

View Full Version : soundcard/abelton question

kev
06-03-2008, 09:15 PM
just put ableton live 5 on my computer for abit of a mess around

want to use it for mostly djing but the problem im having is that when i hit play on the samples/tracks there is a short delay which ends up putting the mix out

have tried changing the settings in the preferences but nothing seems to work

now my computer is pretty poweful but lacking in the sound card depart men
never got round to changing it from the one it came with(some signatel bolox)

so would changing the soundcard cure this?
only want something cheap as this is all it will be used for
are any of the soundblasters any good?
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy2 Platinum eX Soundcard?

cheers for your help

Barely Human
06-03-2008, 11:33 PM
You will need a decent soundcard to get your latency down. Get a half decent soundcard and run ASIO drivers.

massplanck
07-03-2008, 11:43 AM

cheers for your help

try these ASIO drivers for your onboard soundcard

http://www.asio4all.com/

It should do the trick.

RDR
07-03-2008, 12:27 PM
They can be a bit hit n miss, but when they work they work REALLY well.

DONT get creative ANYTHING.

a passable soundcard for albeton or any audio program you should be able to pic up for 100squids or less.

djshiva
07-03-2008, 11:33 PM
i highly recommend the echo indigo DJ if you have a pcimcia slot on your lappy.

messyfuture
08-03-2008, 07:43 AM
just a thought but have you warped the tracks properly?

kev
08-03-2008, 10:13 PM
thanks for the advice guys going to try asio for all

then going to have a look around for a sound card

as for warping them properly that could be part of it will look into that as i didn't really spend that much time on that bit, my main concern was a that there was a noticeable delay in pressing play on the tracks/loops

Barely Human
08-03-2008, 10:32 PM
thanks for the advice guys going to try asio for all

then going to have a look around for a sound card

as for warping them properly that could be part of it will look into that as i didn't really spend that much time on that bit, my main concern was a that there was a noticeable delay in pressing play on the tracks/loops

Sounds like you havent warped them properly and thats the main problem. I used to play out with 35ms delay and had no problems because i was only triggering loops at the time Just meant i had to hit the key a little early.

kev
09-03-2008, 12:06 AM
had a bit more of a piss around got it down to 3.63ms (apparently) still feels noticeable tho, have to trigger loops about 2 beats early but they seem to be matching up sort of( but thats prob down to poor warping)

massplanck
10-03-2008, 12:53 PM
had a bit more of a piss around got it down to 3.63ms (apparently) still feels noticeable tho, have to trigger loops about 2 beats early but they seem to be matching up sort of( but thats prob down to poor warping)

did you install the ASIO4ALL driver?

kev
10-03-2008, 02:15 PM
yeah the put them ASIO4ALL drivers on seemed to make a difference going to have another mess around when i get home from work

maybe hook up my midi keyboard and try mapping some controls

still think i need a new soundcard tho

massplanck
10-03-2008, 03:43 PM
yeah the put them ASIO4ALL drivers on seemed to make a difference going to have another mess around when i get home from work

make sure abelton is using the ASIO drivers and then mess around with the buffer settings in ASIO4ALL .

massplanck
10-03-2008, 03:45 PM
still think i need a new soundcard tho

I'm sure you do. ;)

But the problems you are having should dissapear on your onboard card if you get ASIO4ALL working right.

Microdot
10-03-2008, 05:00 PM
just put ableton live 5 on my computer for abit of a mess around

want to use it for mostly djing but the problem im having is that when i hit play on the samples/tracks there is a short delay which ends up putting the mix out

have tried changing the settings in the preferences but nothing seems to work

now my computer is pretty poweful but lacking in the sound card depart men
never got round to changing it from the one it came with(some signatel bolox)

cheers for your help

you can adjust the overall latency of your card in the audio preferences panel on ableton.

djshiva
11-03-2008, 07:33 PM
this may seem simplistic, but have you messed with the global quantise settings? i have mine set up to "bar", so i always have to trigger a smidge early, but you can change that...

force
11-03-2008, 08:28 PM
this may seem simplistic, but have you messed with the global quantise settings? i have mine set up to "bar", so i always have to trigger a smidge early, but you can change that...

+1

kev
11-03-2008, 10:01 PM

thats sorted it
along with asio4all that seems to have everything working how i would expect

thank you so much guys

now just need to warp these tracks better so it don't sound like a heard of buffalo

theledge
11-03-2008, 10:21 PM
i used to get pretty reasonable latency with a soundblaster pro, and some older hacked asio drivers, wouldn't recommend it particularly but it can be done...

djshiva
13-03-2008, 01:21 PM
thats sorted it
along with asio4all that seems to have everything working how i would expect

thank you so much guys

now just need to warp these tracks better so it don't sound like a heard of buffalo

go here: http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=617845&postcount=29

for a pretty concise explanation of nailing the track warping. ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==