PDA

View Full Version : More Than One Compressor

tracatak
06-03-2008, 10:41 PM
I read in another message board (well i tried to it was in german and google translated it terribly) something about more than one compressor ..i dont know if it was a joke or some1 was trying to say put a few compressors-plugins on a kick or a loop or even to sidechain i could be way of can some1 tell me what this would or wouldnt cause to happen and if it was all a cruel joke or do people do this..i use TC WORKS compressor deEsser at the moment

thanks

loopdon
07-03-2008, 02:22 PM
You can.
Compressors with different characteristics, possibly.
And usually with different settings on each.
But i wouldn't advise to do this unless you have a solid knowledge about the way compressors work. And i am not claiming i have nor does this implay that you don't.

rhythmtech
07-03-2008, 08:19 PM
one of the most common uses of 2 compressors on 1 track is the push pull effect.

tracatak
07-03-2008, 11:56 PM
can u please explain a little bit more about the push pull effect..

does one go on the kick one go on the loop or something? or one on the kick one on the bass?

do people/artists write hard techno or schranz tracks with no side chaining but all individual compressor settings maybe..to give each their own pump..and then set volumes to their liking?

do most hardtechno/ schranz tracks have a bass LINE going with the kick or is it just a kick drum with the EQs bass pushed up high to give it that bassy punch..

some tracks i can hear a solid bass line going..im not talking about those tracks ..i am more confused as to if a simple bass pattern is side chained to the kick to give it a better flow..with the delay of the reverb etc already going with the kick to give it the chugging feel...hope this makes sense..thanks

tracatak
07-03-2008, 11:59 PM
can u please explain a little bit more about the push pull effect..

does one go on the kick one go on the loop or something? or one on the kick one on the bass?

do people/artists write hard techno or schranz tracks with no side chaining but all individual compressor settings maybe..to give each their own pump..and then set volumes to their liking?

do most hardtechno/ schranz tracks have a bass LINE going with the kick or is it just a kick drum with the EQs bass pushed up high to give it that bassy punch..

some tracks i can hear a solid bass line going..im not talking about those tracks ..i am more confused as to if a simple bass pattern is side chained to the kick to give it a better flow..with the delay of the reverb etc already going with the kick to give it the chugging feel...hope this makes sense..thanks

tracatak
08-03-2008, 12:02 AM
the main reason i ask this is because i never add simple bass lines or anything and i think my loops/tracks are missing something and i have a feeling its the bass line...any tips..

Elvio Neto
10-03-2008, 02:35 PM

most of the time is kick + compressor + reverb

sounds like a subbass playing but its just a delay reverb effect

tracatak
11-03-2008, 12:01 AM
compressor before the reverb? i have tried

a short kick sample with eq> distortion > verb then compressor last

.. i mix it up now and then to see what results i get..

but does reverb after compressor work better ...(of course it all depends on what my ear enjoys as well.). just curious what your opinion is...

Elvio Neto
12-03-2008, 01:58 PM
doenst have to be in that specific order , just test and see what you like

i never make tracks with the same rules , i tried to test new ideas in each new track i make

tracatak
12-03-2008, 08:32 PM
k thanks..that is what i have been doing..i agree with that ...here is something i just wrote.. feedback please

http://download.yousendit.com/E9FA88185B81C879

thanks..

278d7e64a374de26f==