PDA

View Full Version : Please Help me Wipe out Leopard on MBP

tekara
07-03-2008, 04:07 PM
So i just bought the brand spanking new Macbook Pros from the apple dealer the other day. I must say that i like it alot, but it came pre-installed with Leopard 10.5.

Now dont get me wrong, 10.5 is wonderful but i dont think i am ready for it yet because none of my programs that i use are compatible with it. As a result, i have a great computer with no programs to run.

I have decided i want to reinstall 10.4 back onto my harddrive and wipe out Leopard. I couldnt find anywhere in the apple shop that sold 10.4 (most likely because they are trying to phase it out), but i did find a copy of the Tiger installation disc that came with the PowerMac G5 (pre-intel) a few years ago.

I tried installing it, but it said "this program cannot be installed on this operating software". I basically just inserted the CD and double clicked "install" but i have a feeling the only way to get around this is to boot up the installation disc as a bootable disc, which i dont know how to do.

I have two quick questions for the seasoned veterans out there:

1) How do i install Tiger over my Leopard?
2) This is my first time using an Apple that is intel chip. Does Tiger have any complications with it?

I dont want to get caught up in the vicious 'updating game' where i have no choice but to upgrade my SX3 to version 4, and Ableton Live 5 to version 6 just so i can have them play on Leopard =/

Electrictribe
07-03-2008, 04:48 PM
what are you using that isn't compatible with it? A lot of apps have received updates now.

Is your disc of Tiger a retail copy or part of a restore package? If so will not work with the intel.

Once you have a proper copy of tiger is pretty straight forward boot of tiger disc do erase and install. job done.

tekara
07-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Cubase SX3 is not compatible with Leopard, and I believe Ableton Live 5 is also not compatible with it.

My other option is to just upgrade everything so that it becomes compatible, but that will bring me back quite a bit of money, when i could just easily downgrade the entire OS X and just reinstall from scratch.

Your right, the CD installation disc came with the Powermac G5 that i bought two years ago (pre-intel days). Someone told me just now that i would have to somehow find a copy of the intel-mac Tiger installation disc for it to work, or else im pretty much SOL.

Is there any way i can get around this?

RDR
07-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Do a search of the internet for tiger.. AHEM! ;)

There are no problems with tiger, its all updated and will work fine on your MBP.

tekara
08-03-2008, 10:38 AM
well it looks like after speaking to Apple this morning, it is not possible to roll back operating software to tiger, since the MBP that i bought was the newest of the new and is deliberately installed with leopard without having the ability to downgrade to 10.4

This means now i have to upgrade to Cubase 4, upgrade to Reason 4, upgrade to Live 7, and upgrade all of my Native Instruments and VST instruments one by one.

baahhhhhhh

RDR
08-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Eh...

LOL @ not being able to downgrade

Let me spell it out for you.

1. Go on the internet
2. Do a search for Torrents... USE this link its a google search result clicky (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=torrent%2Btiger%2Bosx&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

download it, burn it, install it.

not being albe to downgrade, those sales people will fill you full of shit everytime. its got NOTHING to do with the hardware.

dont feel bad about it either, you bought the OS and the machine, **** em.

EDIT: If you are that bothered about all this then why not ue bootcamp to put a 20gb partition on your mahcine and install XP onto it until you buy a copy of tiger off ebay.

theledge
08-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Just see it as what it is - a good investment - and upgrade your software.

MARK ANXIOUS
09-03-2008, 07:40 AM
no mate, those sales ppl are full of bullshit, of course you can install 10.4.

you need to use disk utility to format/erase your hard drive (do it as mac extended (journalled and oh, i always liek to zero the data in the options, to ensure all data is completely wiped..). ok so once you've done that, power up the mac with the tiger installation cd in and your finger on the 'c' key.

you should get the usual screen saying to install and what hard drive you want it on and off you go..

:)

MARK ANXIOUS
09-03-2008, 07:45 AM
ps i really would advise AGAINST using torrents or k'ed stuff for your os. most people dont realise but sometimes you get really dirty hackers writing shit into the install. i mean would you buy a brand new car from the local youth club knowing some dirty chav has pee'd all under ya hood?

:lol:

seriously, you should by ya os:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAC-OSX-TIGER-INSTALL-DVDS-OS-X-TIGER-NEW-REMOTE_W0QQitemZ120228768352QQihZ002QQcategoryZ802 58QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

good luck mate

RDR
09-03-2008, 08:14 AM
ps i really would advise AGAINST using torrents or k'ed stuff for your os. most people dont realise but sometimes you get really dirty hackers writing shit into the install. i mean would you buy a brand new car from the local youth club knowing some dirty chav has pee'd all under ya hood?

:lol:

seriously, you should by ya os:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAC-OSX-TIGER-INSTALL-DVDS-OS-X-TIGER-NEW-REMOTE_W0QQitemZ120228768352QQihZ002QQcategoryZ802 58QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

good luck mate

Yes, buy your copy. its not that expensive and its a damn sight cheaper than upgrading your software.

Yeah, evil H@xorz do do things like that, but not on an OSX installation DVD.

tekara
10-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Hey everyone,

thanks for the advice. I actually have the installation disc (disc 1 + disc 2) that came with the PowerMac G5 tower from two years ago. I checked out the link on Ebay for that item and it seems those two discs are exactly like the ones i have at home right now, so I will give that a shot. I hope there isn't anything different between the item on ebay and my disc.

I'm gonna do the install when i have the time tonight, there really is no point in asking for advice on the internet and then refusing to take them. At this point. i really have no other choice anyways.

By the way, after starting this thread, i basically just copy and pasted my message on the apple discussion forums to see what kind of feedback i would get. It seems like many of the users are conflicting with each other as to what works and what doesn't. The final consensus STILL seems to point that i wont be able to downgrade, although after reading your messages on BOA, i feel like giving it a shot tonight.

Anyhow, maybe the guys on this apple discussion forum are full of shit, but if your interested in what they have to say, feel free to take a look here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6779156&#6779156

thanks everyone!

RDR
10-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Hey everyone,

thanks for the advice. I actually have the installation disc (disc 1 + disc 2) that came with the PowerMac G5 tower from two years ago. I checked out the link on Ebay for that item and it seems those two discs are exactly like the ones i have at home right now, so I will give that a shot. I hope there isn't anything different between the item on ebay and my disc.

I'm gonna do the install when i have the time tonight, there really is no point in asking for advice on the internet and then refusing to take them. At this point. i really have no other choice anyways.

By the way, after starting this thread, i basically just copy and pasted my message on the apple discussion forums to see what kind of feedback i would get. It seems like many of the users are conflicting with each other as to what works and what doesn't. The final consensus STILL seems to point that i wont be able to downgrade, although after reading your messages on BOA, i feel like giving it a shot tonight.

Anyhow, maybe the guys on this apple discussion forum are full of shit, but if your interested in what they have to say, feel free to take a look here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6779156&#6779156

thanks everyone!

For a start your G5 discs are not worth shit. they are for the PPC chips, the OS doesnt contain the coding for the intel chips.

That discussion i cant comment on other than to say, im suprised that you cant downgrade. I suppose it makes sense, the updates and software for the MBP will be based around Leopard and not present in Tiger, not even the updates.

SO ... Mark and Myself were wrong :(

Bummer.

278d7e64a374de26f==