PDA

View Full Version : roland mc-202 analogue synth music?

mister badtouch
08-03-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone on here knows of any tunes which use this fat little synth?

I've just brought one, and I'd like to hear what other people have done with it while I wait for mine to be delivered.

tocsin
10-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone on here knows of any tunes which use this fat little synth?

I've just brought one, and I'd like to hear what other people have done with it while I wait for mine to be delivered.

There's been a pretty steady long-running rumor claiming it's the main riff to "Higher State of Conciousness" by Josh Wink.

Microdot
10-03-2008, 04:59 PM

hundreds of classic Techno trax have used this beauty, although "Higher State Of Consciousness" by Josh Wank ain't one of 'em.

tocsin
11-03-2008, 03:44 AM
No need to debate about it until ou can get the interview with Wink, which various people have alleged exists, yet nobody has ever been able to source. ;) However, having played with an MC-202 myself overdriven to **** with all the accents pushed up, there is room to allege that it was an MC-202 rather than a 303. Personally, I couldn't care less. But, it's a fun story regardless. :)

force
11-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Its EXACTLY the same synth as the SH101, but with a pig of a sequencer.

So the question might as well be, 'How many tunes have used the sh101'.

I've had both and still own the 101, but i cant really hear it on 'Higher state'.

TechMouse
11-03-2008, 11:46 AM

Future Sound of London, LFO and Autechre would be good places to start.

Incidentally, this site (http://www.synthmuseum.com/roland/rolmc20201.html) is pouring more fuel on the Higher State fire.

Electrictribe
11-03-2008, 01:39 PM
I do vaguely remember seeing this article years ago. Pretty sure it said that wink used a modded mc-202. And for the mentasm sound he is also famous for was a alpha juno going into something else but wouldn't reveal what else was used.

Microdot
11-03-2008, 01:52 PM
I do vaguely remember seeing this article years ago. Pretty sure it said that wink used a modded mc-202. And for the mentasm sound he is also famous for was a alpha juno going into something else but wouldn't reveal what else was used.

josh wink famous for the mentasm sound??!!??

while we're on the subject.
the mentasm/dominator sound that Joey Beltram pioneered was indeed created from an alpha juno preset (called Dominator), then resampled using an Akai S 900 sampler to kill the decay and make it more "vmmmm".
no big secret, ask Joey if you don't believe me.

Electrictribe
11-03-2008, 01:55 PM
josh wink famous for the mentasm sound??!!??

while we're on the subject.
the mentasm/dominator sound that Joey Beltram pioneered was indeed created from an alpha juno preset (called Dominator), then resampled using an Akai S 900 sampler to kill the decay and make it more "vmmmm".
no big secret, ask Joey if you don't believe me.

indeed lol forgot my mind for a minute think i am confusing two seperate articles i have seen in the past. hahaha.

Microdot
11-03-2008, 03:10 PM
indeed lol forgot my mind for a minute think i am confusing two seperate articles i have seen in the past. hahaha.

easily done.
Beltram used to use 202/101 sounds quite a bit as it happens. dude used to rinse Roland gear...
we've used both at some point or another. decent machines, but Roland made some far superior shit, as we all know.

mister badtouch
22-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Just been experimenting with my modded 202, and I think I've created the EXACT sound used on higher state. . . .

The key is the overdrive mod, and the sub oscillator. Also, in higher state there is a bit where the LFO is driving the filter. I guess it could have been done on a 303 with some live tweeking, but it sounds a bit too precise to be done by a human. I reckon if it had have been an sh-101 then wink would have probably used a different LFO shape (the mc-202 only has one LFO shape).. I guess we'll never know, unless someone ask's wink himself, but as far as I'm concerned, Josh Wink made the acid line from higher state using an overdrived mc-202!

I might search myspace and ask the man himself

koenigsegg
23-03-2008, 01:59 AM
There was an interview with Josh wink in the October 2007 issue of Mixmag (page 55), "...Message forums are always debating how I made the acid sounds in 'Higher States of Consciousness' . The 303 I used was one I took apart and cleaned so that the knobs would twist easier, but it's still the same box that everyone else has..."

mister badtouch
23-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Damn it, I've become a sodding geek... Been tweeking with my 202 lfo and I can't quite get the same tweeking filter out of it.
maybe it is a 303. I've never had enough cash to own a real 303 so I guess I'll never know. It is a great tune though, and that's all that matters really.

Microdot
23-03-2008, 11:59 PM
There was an interview with Josh wink in the October 2007 issue of Mixmag (page 55), "...Message forums are always debating how I made the acid sounds in 'Higher States of Consciousness' . The 303 I used was one I took apart and cleaned so that the knobs would twist easier, but it's still the same box that everyone else has..."

I've never been in any doubt that he used a 303 on that track. If you've ever used a 303 yourself, the sound is unmistakable.

278d7e64a374de26f==