PDA

View Full Version : Crowd micing?

Hoth System
08-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Know what I think would be good? To have the odd live mix with a mic recording of the crowd reaction to the overall dancefloor vibe included in the mixdown - to see when the crowd go nuts on a particular tune or mix or a live PA. I know that sometimes one just wants to hear the audio output of what the dj is doing, but if it's a live mix from a club night and not just a studio/bedroom mix then I think this would be interesting. Obviously it would maybe take a bit of tweaking to drown out any unwanted random yelling which takes away from the music, but it would definitely create a truly unique "live" picture of what it was like on the night, as opposed to just hearing the dj's mix. I've heard this sort of thing the odd time, like the Richie Hawtin Glasgow Arches mix which John Peel broad casted once, but other than that I've found it to be quite rare.

module
08-03-2008, 08:12 PM
i used to use a plate mic plugged into our DJM600.. was great.. ya could hear everything in the bar.. very cool when ya get to hear yourself doing the shout bingo'd at the end of the night for the first time :)

makes a real difference in playback.. DEF worth doing :)

theledge
08-03-2008, 08:31 PM
yep, crowd noise is great if it's a good set

got a nice steve stoll mix here with the crowd in the background, very good to listen to indeed

Microdot
08-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Know what I think would be good? To have the odd live mix with a mic recording of the crowd reaction to the overall dancefloor vibe included in the mixdown - to see when the crowd go nuts on a particular tune or mix or a live PA. I know that sometimes one just wants to hear the audio output of what the dj is doing, but if it's a live mix from a club night and not just a studio/bedroom mix then I think this would be interesting. Obviously it would maybe take a bit of tweaking to drown out any unwanted random yelling which takes away from the music, but it would definitely create a truly unique "live" picture of what it was like on the night, as opposed to just hearing the dj's mix. I've heard this sort of thing the odd time, like the Richie Hawtin Glasgow Arches mix which John Peel broad casted once, but other than that I've found it to be quite rare.

deffo.
be a piece of piss to do too.

The Overfiend
09-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Share That!

DannyBlack
09-03-2008, 02:30 AM
i got a set of carl cox, live at the crowbar night club i think it is. great idea only some one forgot to him that the mic was for the crowd and not for him :lol:

Jay Pace
09-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Thought about this a lot too. Could just run a mic feed through the mixer, but on most of the livesets they seem to have miced up the rig. That sounds a little trickier.... although it probably isn't...

MARK ANXIOUS
09-03-2008, 09:21 PM
when we did our pa in brazil, they hooked up a mic at the front of the stage and gave us the recording, which i put together in cubase with the recording of the set. i really enjoyed doing it and you're right, it adds masses of atmosphere. i think the key is put the mic as high up as possible, so you don't get the random chats or coughs - just a really nice overall feel of the crowd.

Hoth System
10-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I've got that Anxious PA from Brazil - that's exactly what I'm talking about (but isn't the crowd just heard at the start and the end of the mix, not during?) Fantastic set, btw.

I guess there is a danger of crowd recordings being used in evidence:

"What?! Yeah. What?? Doves. How many?! Got the money?!"

"The prosecution puts it to the defendant that it is his voice on the tape..."

DannyBlack
10-03-2008, 11:10 AM
:lol:

MARK ANXIOUS
10-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I've got that Anxious PA from Brazil - that's exactly what I'm talking about (but isn't the crowd just heard at the start and the end of the mix, not during?) Fantastic set, btw.

thanks mate. it's actually all the way through, but i took it down slightly at points where you did get the odd cough and sneeze that detracted from the atmosphere of the whole thing, so you actually don't think it's there but it is.

djshiva
11-03-2008, 07:31 PM
yeah i seriously love hearing a mix where i can hear the crowd goin off. really puts you in the moment! :D

Si the Sigh
12-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Can someone link me up with that Anxious PA please?

I've lost it.

And the MP3.

Hoth System
13-03-2008, 01:16 AM
Here you go http://rapidshare.com/files/99040918/TheAnxiousLiveBrazil2005.mp3

Brace yourself...

Si the Sigh
13-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Cheers! :)

278d7e64a374de26f==