PDA

View Full Version : Who does NOT mix in the box?

tekara
13-03-2008, 03:45 AM
Does anyone suggest me to run my audio outputs in cubase sx from my motu 828 directly into a Soundcraft mixer to be re-recorded as a stereo output back into cubase?

Someone told me there is a noticeable different and colouring of the sound when signal is run through a desk, but im thinking it is totally tedious work if i can keep everything mixed in the box via Cubase.

Im also thinking that unless im running it through a Neve or a Soundcraft Ghost, whats the point of using some cheap mixer?

Do the benefits outweight the hassle?

xfive
13-03-2008, 04:14 AM
Depending on what sound you are going for there is a certain style of analog warmth you can give sounds by overloading the mixer intentionally... Best way to know if that's something you want is to try it out ;)
And yes.. you will need a nice mixer for it to sound good.
I believe Prodigy derived a lot of their sound from that style of overloading on a Mackie 8Bus mixer.

If you know what you are doing you can achieve the same sound via plugins.

rhythmtech
13-03-2008, 05:49 AM
^^ agreed 100%

unless you have a half decent desk you'll get a better sound mixing "in the box" eq, compressors etc will all be better quality than your desk. i have a yamaha desk sitting here and i cant remember the last time i switched it on.

RDR
13-03-2008, 07:04 AM
horses for courses really.

Try both out and see which one you prefer!

stjohn
13-03-2008, 04:32 PM
heres a good read.... from a few of the great engineers (bob katz etc)..

they seem to thing that avoiding s/w compressors is a good thing...

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/4918/0/48/0/

278d7e64a374de26f==