PDA

View Full Version : TR909 - Midi Problems

module
16-03-2008, 12:50 PM
its being a real pain :(

anyone know anything about its sound module mode ? thinking of maybe using a newer drumachine to trigger it & hopefuly avoid its hideous midi issues..

all help is GREATLY recieved.. this problem is killing us.. over 4 hours of fighting with Ableton & TR on friday & still no end result of a tight sync.. thing is, it worked perfectly the previous week & we made NO change in the set up..

anyways, please help us if ya can.. cheers :)

RDR
16-03-2008, 01:38 PM
check this link out

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2963609

the bottom post.

and this one

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1186734

The TR-909 is MIDI-compatible and it has one MIDI input and two MIDI outputs. It can be synchronized to an incoming MIDI clock signal, but somehow I never really managed to achieve a perfect sync. I don't know if it had to do with my sequencer, the MIDI cables or the drum machine itself, but I remember myself tearing my hair in frustration while listening to the boom-chack of the TR-909 slowly and painfully starting to drift out of sync, often in the middle of a recording session.

You'd be better using it as a module rather than using the patterns on it.

The only possible thing i can think of is retriggering the sync every single bar or so??

Microdot
16-03-2008, 02:31 PM
there are 3 tempo modes on the 909, one to act as a master, two to act as slaves.

when in track play mode, hold down shift and hit the tempo mode button (last one on the right, to the left of the accent button), you should see the display change through "135" (master tempo mode), "__0" and "_0_" (slave modes).

can't remember of the top of me head which slave mode is which, but it could be that you've been in the wrong tempo mode is all that's wrong.

If I was using it with ableton, I'd use it as the master tempo (in the tempo mode that displays bpm) and sync everything from it. much easier and you can utilise the 2 midi outs if necessary.

that's how we used to get our macs in sync back when ableton wouldn't send out a midi clock (v1).

tekara
16-03-2008, 05:37 PM
I dont use the 909 much anymore, but i remember having hideous syncing issues between the machine and Cubase SX3.

Syncing it to Ableton helped the problem slightly but i was never able to get it fully synced perfectly. I agree with the above, triggering it with midi and using it as a sound module is much better.

Hell i only used it to paint 4 kicks in a bar in the midi sequencer, print it down to audio and then just copy and paste across the entire track. Never could figure out why i couldnt get the 16 step sequencer to sync properly.

module
29-03-2008, 01:13 AM
solution :)

sr16 triggering the 9, and using Live as the master clock thru a Midiman splitter to the su200 & sr16.. lock grooves to adjust :)

now using..

alesis sr16 drumachine
alesis ineko fx unit
alesis philtre filter unit
acer laptop running Live 6
yamaha su200 loop sampler
soundlab foot pedal
roland tr909
technics 1210 (x2)
zoom rfx300 fx unit (x2)
ecler nuo5 mixer
labtec number pad
uc16 midi controller
uc17 midi controller

plus a shitload of cut loops in Live & a bunch of lock groooves.. \artists waaaay too many to list now, but i will get to it :)

module
30-03-2008, 12:13 PM
many thanx to all replys, esp Micordot.. put us in the right direction to gettin our solution..

cheers all :)

Mugen
04-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Here's what works for me for me... and just to get started the 909 like the 808 has a feeling of its own and creating patterns via your host sequencer over midi "even though it maybe convenient" completely defeats the purpose of owning this great piece of kit in my mind.

Midi interface Direct Midi in into the TR-909
TR-909 set to "_0_" sync to clock mode .
in Ableton set the 909 Midi Sync on in the preferences window and change the Track mode to PATTERN instead of Song.

This works for me ..

Also we sometimes daisy-chain it from a 707 or 727 and it works perfect !

Hope that helps.

278d7e64a374de26f==