PDA

View Full Version : Creative labs SB live 5.1 - vista troubles

C.O.Prodigy
19-03-2008, 10:16 AM
This sound card of mine is old, vista didn't exist when I bought it.. I tried installing it to work with vista and I do have some sound but it's very bad and scratchy when tyhe volume is turned up... the SB card is using the vista drivers it found when I choose the automatically install option. when I tried the original drivers from the installation disk, vista crashed and I needed to boot into safe mode and rollback driver to get vista to not blue screen and crash...

anyway.. I have like partial sound now.. and I'm interested if there is any other solution for this problem...

cheers

TechMouse
19-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Have you tried the kxProject drivers?

Dunno if they're supported on Vista, but they used to work great on XP.

C.O.Prodigy
19-03-2008, 11:20 AM
nope. I'll give'em a go. Thanks TM.

The whole point of this is to listen to some proper music while at work...

C.O.Prodigy
19-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Tried them... everything seems to be working perfectly but there's no sound coming from my speaker... shame really cause the installation went very well.. the kx project drivers did overwrite the previous drivers and after the reboot the kxproject drivers was in use.. but no sound coming from speaker *frustrated*

TechMouse
19-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Tried them... everything seems to be working perfectly but there's no sound coming from my speaker... shame really cause the installation went very well.. the kx project drivers did overwrite the previous drivers and after the reboot the kxproject drivers was in use.. but no sound coming from speaker *frustrated*
Bring up the kxMixer and check that nothing is muted.

I think there's also some option which swaps the back and front speakers - this sometimes helps.

It's a bit fiddly, but once you get it working it's great.

Plus, full ASIO support!

C.O.Prodigy
19-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Bring up the kxMixer and check that nothing is muted.

I think there's also some option which swaps the back and front speakers - this sometimes helps.

It's a bit fiddly, but once you get it working it's great.

Plus, full ASIO support!

:notworthy:

your assessment was spot on, the swap back worked and it probably was muted since I played around with it.. but it's working much better now then before with these new drivers... I kinda now have this echoie feel to the sound now which is much better then scratchy no bass sound.. but I will continue to fiddle with the settings to get it right...

thanks for all the help..
you solved my problem

TechMouse
19-03-2008, 01:20 PM
I kinda now have this echoie feel to the sound now which is much better then scratchy no bass sound.. but I will continue to fiddle with the settings to get it right...
You may have a reverb effect turned on.

As I recall there are built in effects.

Even so, glad you got it working.

The SB Live! is a pretty good card once you tap its potential.

C.O.Prodigy
19-03-2008, 01:35 PM
You may have a reverb effect turned on.

As I recall there are built in effects.

again right...
I'm really impressed with these drivers now.. the sound can be manipulated in many ways.. and all while i'm at work.. this is huge stuff for me ... mucho happy

sounds perfect now...
now I can get the most outta Dirty Bass - Acidlove Live PA ...
awesome software pack..
you da man! :)

TechMouse
19-03-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm really impressed with these drivers now.. the sound can be manipulated in many ways..
Yeah...

There's a screen in there somewhere where you can basically route stuff through the the on-board chips however you like, so you can unplug all the bits you're not using and streamline the bits you are.

I think I got my latency down to 8ms, which isn't bad for open-source drivers.

C.O.Prodigy
20-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah...

There's a screen in there somewhere where you can basically route stuff through the the on-board chips however you like, so you can unplug all the bits you're not using and streamline the bits you are.

I think I got my latency down to 8ms, which isn't bad for open-source drivers.

So that's what that screen is for. I did notice it before but thought it's best safe to leave alone cause I'll probably mess something up. For now that's stuff is way over my head, I don't quite understand it. I did try something today but it lead to loss of sound quality, so I did reinitialize the settings and was glad that the option was there. No routing for me today until I learn more about chips I guess and how it all works, cause one would probably need to know how something works before enhancing it's performance.

Kudos TM :)

Still very impressed with driver performance and all the options it offers.

278d7e64a374de26f==