PDA

View Full Version : Sampling (reverb tails)

massplanck
25-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi Guys.

Lets say you were taking samples from a film, you first find the bit you want and cut it out. 99% of the time the sample you want is in the middle of a whole load of other sounds you dont want, so its going to be cut out with the natural reverb tail lost (in all the other sounds).

How can we repair this?

Doing a volume fade out obviously doesnt sound natural.
Nor do you want to lash a reverb over the whole sound (you are changing the sound just so that you can get a tail). Could you get the Impulse response of the sound from the sample and create a reverb based on it and add the tail somehow?

I dunno. If some has ever thought about this one let me know. I really want to know what I can do to make my sample sound a bit more natural.

TechMouse
25-03-2008, 12:54 PM
You could try gating the sound and then just adding your own reverb.

Would be pretty hit and miss.

Jay Pace
26-03-2008, 05:15 PM
All I can think of is to hide it in the mix. Put some reverb on it, then make sure something else happens when the sample stops. Fill the gap with something else so nobody notices that the sample ends abruptish

Barely Human
26-03-2008, 05:35 PM
I think it deppends on the sample. The length of the original reverb used and other factors really change what you can do with the sample to get it sounding like it has a natural "end" to it. You could always mask the end of the sample with a new sound of some sort. Like I said, deppends on the sample used.

acidsaturation
27-03-2008, 10:46 AM
I kinda agree... Sometimes you can't make it sound natural, so time it so it brings something in to mask the end, stick a kick drum boom there or something.

Or accept that it might just be a bit crusty...

I've also done stuff like putting some random noise at the end, hiding whatever extra noises it is and that gives a bit of space to fade out or somthing.

TechMouse
27-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Sometimes you can't make it sound natural
In fairness, Techno was never about stuff sounding natural.

RDR
27-03-2008, 11:42 AM
In fairness, Techno was never about stuff sounding natural.

Hogwash.

massplanck
27-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Yeah. I spent the whole day ripping samples from a DVD. I have piles that need *fixing*. Id like to be able to setup a batch job to do this but might have to be done manually for each.

acidsaturation
27-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Hogwash.

Depends how you define natural

TechMouse
27-03-2008, 03:27 PM
I have piles that need *fixing*.
Talk to Xes.

tocsin
27-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah. I spent the whole day ripping samples from a DVD. I have piles that need *fixing*. Id like to be able to setup a batch job to do this but might have to be done manually for each.

I don't usually bother with it too much. 2 things I've tried. One is with either EQ or the Sony Noise Reduction plug. Sometimes reverb is separate enough from a frequency spectrum that you can effectively remove it from a sample. Or, if the spectrum is consistent enough, you can do a noisecapture in in the Noise Reduction plug, and try and filter it with that. It'll sometimes sound a little sloppy though. The other is simply creating a reverb that matches the depth of the original, and only applying it to the last part of noticable sound in the sample. Again, play with it a little bit, and you basically just get a long tail with not much going on in it that will trick the brain away from hearing an abrupt ending at times. One or the other has almost always worked for me.

massplanck
27-03-2008, 04:06 PM
cheers tocsin. looks like it will be a long drawn out process. but these are really good samples. it takes me about 4 hours per 1 hour of DVD to find what i want!

278d7e64a374de26f==