PDA

View Full Version : Need Multiband Compression Tutoring

Little_Fella!
31-03-2008, 07:46 PM
I need to learn about multi-band compression and was wondering if any of you good learned fellows had any good links that I can follow...:teach:

I make my tracks without compression over the whole mix n then I have a Waves C4, with which I am currently using the Basic Multi preset... not good enough

The problem area is the kick as this sounds squashed once I apply the compression over the whole mix - - should I lower the threshold on my kick compressor to compensate for this?? :ruquestion:

Jay Pace
01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Allo matey

try this: http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/OzoneMasteringGuide.pdf

To be honest I've not read it. But its highly recommended and has been on my reading list for ages. ITs a pretty comprehensive account of how to master by all accounts.

Also - I wouldn't bother about mastering to much. I got caught up in that trap, and you will never get anything nearly as good as a pro will. Whack PSP warmer mastering thingie on at the end to give yourself an idea of what a more compressed punchier blah blah will do for your mix, but I'd focus all your energies into getting your mix as tight as possible, then when your happy get someone else to master it. Stevie is a dab hand, or chris @ blacklisted.

BloodStar
01-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Personally I would suggest to not put any compressors over you master buss. Try using group channels instead. Route all channels you want effect with compression into group channel and your kick route directly into master buss, so it will not be affected by compressors hooked on group channels.

Little_Fella!
04-04-2008, 03:28 AM
I knew you good fellows would come to my aid... :teach:

@Jay - cheers for the linky there...

I found another one from Sound on Sound which was technical enough but didn't bamboozle me, thankfully...

I get what your saying bout not going too far into it... I been hung up myself a few times on the production front - I just want to be able to tweek with a little bit more noddle, rather than just using presets all the time... Thank yee kindly! :BigThumbUp:

Little_Fella!
04-04-2008, 03:31 AM
@ Vladsta - Yeah, I never thought of that as you know yourself, you get into a routine of doing things n don't see the simplicity of things some times...

I'll try that n see what comes out of it... safe to say I do know a bit more about what's going on now, so thank you both for your help...:cool:

stjohn
05-04-2008, 05:42 PM
ive tried multiband here in there.. and tbh ive never got the hang of it.. they say its the same as normal compression just for 4 bands.. but i always seem to f*** the sound up.

IMO i think you are best trying to get the best mix without/ or with very little compression at all.. the only time MB compression should be needed is at mastering id say.

Little_Fella!
11-05-2008, 03:39 AM
ive tried multiband here in there.. and tbh ive never got the hang of it.. they say its the same as normal compression just for 4 bands.. but i always seem to f*** the sound up.

IMO i think you are best trying to get the best mix without/ or with very little compression at all.. the only time MB compression should be needed is at mastering id say.

Yeah, your dead right - - had a good chat with Steve about it n he said what you are saying...

Cheers for that... :;

278d7e64a374de26f==