PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Loops From Other Producers Trax

module
02-04-2008, 11:55 AM
someone remarked to me that cutting out the bits i like from tracks to be used in Live as part of The 4th Loop sets is disrespecting the producer.. because i am not playing the full track.. i usually cut 4 to 16 beat loops and sometimes maybe cut 2 or 3 loops from a track if its got a lot of quality variation..

anyways, i couldnt care a toss.. i payed for it, i play what bit i want..

what is the general synopsis of this work manner ? personally, i couldnt care less what ppl think of how i work, but i'm curious to know what ppl here, many of whom produce, think of this.. as it may be your tune next lol

seriously though, i havent had any grief from anyone who's loops ive cut (be they mnml or heavy) only from a few ppl who dont actually produce.. they are 'vinyl purists' which jus cracks me up.. such a stupid thing to say...

oh, and when i pointed out Hawtins DE9 or Speedy J's locked groove vinyls, this was a total stumbing block for the doubters lol

rhythmtech
02-04-2008, 11:59 AM
its no more disrespectful than a vinyl dj deciding to only play a certain few minutes of a track.

Darkmode
02-04-2008, 12:02 PM
someone remarked to me that cutting out the bits i like from tracks to be used in Live as part of The 4th Loop sets is disrespecting the producer.. because i am not playing the full track.. i usually cut 4 to 16 beat loops and sometimes maybe cut 2 or 3 loops from a track if its got a lot of quality variation..

what is the general synopsis of this work manner ? personally, i couldnt care less what ppl think of how i work, but i'm curious to know what ppl here, many of whom produce, think of this.. as it may be your tune next lol

seriously though, i havent had any grief from anyone who's loops ive cut (be they mnml or heavy) only from a few ppl who dont actually produce.. they are 'vinyl purists' which jus cracks me up.. such a stupid thing to say...

oh, and when i pointed out Hawtins DE9 or Speedy J's locked groove vinyls, this was a total stumbing block for the doubters lol

Ignore them mate they are just narrow minded idiots who haven't got a clue & they don't know what they are going on about it's pointless trying to convince people like that as they think they know it all just let them get on with it they are not worth speaking to. Do your own thing mate & ignore the haters ;)

Microdot
02-04-2008, 12:03 PM

whoever it was is talking out of their shitbox and needs to get a ****ing life.
when DJing or doing a live PA in a club, only one thing matters*, and that's playing good music.
everything else is strictly for the geeks.

*actually 2 things matter, the other is that there are plenty of fit birds there.

p_brane
02-04-2008, 12:50 PM
techno is meant to be cut the hell up imho.

keep doing what your doing, it sounds great and thats all that matters.

Jay Pace
02-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Jah Shaka had it right.

Play a record in entirety. Take it off the turntable. Play another one.

Failure to follow this simple procedure is whats ruining dance music.

(do your thing mate, like you said - you paid, you choose what to play)

koma
02-04-2008, 01:09 PM
i found those new 4th Loop sets excellent! :)

and its actually interesting to hear all those different loops and try to remember where they are coming from...

massplanck
02-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Whats the difference between cutting a loop up to use in abelton and just hitting the loop button in tracktor or some fx unit? nada

DannyBlack
02-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Module, I think you are a bastard for doing this. How very dare you question the artists choice to produce more than just a loop!!!

Kidding. Mate, I think the 4th loop mixes are bloody fantastic. If I ever had someone play my stuff, be it just a loop or the whole thing I would be honoured and humbled.

Keep it up mate, and f*ck every one. (not literally, we're not all like Rhythm tech-slepthiswaytothetop-nologies)

A.P.
02-04-2008, 01:42 PM
You do what the f**k ya like mate.
It's techno!

rhythmtech
02-04-2008, 02:52 PM
(not literally, we're not all like Rhythm tech-slepthiswaytothetopofdanny's ma-nologies)

couldnt help it. she's a cum-bucket

djfilthmonger
02-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I concur with previous comments. Your sets are class and thats all that matters

DannyBlack
02-04-2008, 03:30 PM
couldnt help it. she's a cum-bucket like my own ma, but to be honest Id rather my da's reach arounds. Thats good nut touching.

"F*ck it, I'm a cum bucket" aint that an acid techno tune?

rhythmtech
02-04-2008, 03:30 PM
"F*ck it, I'm a cum bucket" aint that an acid techno tune?

yup

immersion

MARK ANXIOUS
02-04-2008, 04:02 PM
people who say shit like this are just snobby nobodys who have nothing better to do with their time. house music began with sampling. do what the hell you wanna do man, in whichever way you can... that's the beauty of creativity.

markandrew
02-04-2008, 11:29 PM
go for it man i make me own loops and use peoples tracks for loops techno is loops **** em theres no shame in that bud :smile:

MITA
03-04-2008, 12:32 AM
ima cut your live Pete if you take my loops,right
fair innit

RDR
03-04-2008, 07:49 AM
ima cut your live Pete if you take my loops,right
fair innit

What? :lol:

John Vella
03-04-2008, 11:05 AM
As long as you put your own original twist to its use and context (which I am sure you are doing) and it sounds rockin', then who the **** cares???!!!!!

:)

-jv

Darkmode
03-04-2008, 11:29 AM
people who say shit like this are just snobby nobodys who have nothing better to do with their time. house music began with sampling. do what the hell you wanna do man, in whichever way you can... that's the beauty of creativity.

I agree with you on that one 100% Mark majority of people like that are just jelous because they aren't doing their own thing & probs haven't got the balls to do their own thing. Keep doing what ye doing mate people like that only make you more determined as I've had idiots in the past say to me that my music is crap & I'm not gonna make it as a fulltime artist. I always turn round to them & say thank you your making more determined to reach my goal.

Microdot
03-04-2008, 12:29 PM
What? :lol:

:laughing:
I thought the same thing when I read that.
I can only assume he missed out the "r" on the end of "liver".
though cutting someone's liver for taking some loops sounds a bit extreme to me.

djfilthmonger
03-04-2008, 12:51 PM
yup

immersion

Was it not **** it I'm a drug bucket?

DannyBlack
03-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Was it not **** it I'm a drug bucket?

yeah, its on walk the dog. I was just playing on words.

rhythmtech
03-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I thought the same thing when I read that.
I can only assume he missed out the "r" on the end of "liver".
though cutting someone's liver for taking some loops sounds a bit extreme to me.

you dont wanna cut his loops!!!!

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/TopFilms/Godfather/Godfather15.jpg

Microdot
03-04-2008, 01:04 PM
you dont wanna cut his loops!!!!

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/TopFilms/Godfather/Godfather15.jpg

BloodStar
03-04-2008, 01:30 PM
as you said: "i payed for it, i play what bit i want.. "

sorted.

steve loop
04-04-2008, 02:47 PM
thanks to all for the kind words about our sets :)... more on the way :)

BELFAST CITY TECHNO

tekara
10-04-2008, 11:26 AM
This thread has raised an interesting thought. Sorry to high jack the thread, but it seems like everyone here is quite okay with grabbing someones loop and playing it in a Live PA.

Im curious though, how do you guys feel about sampling entire loops from other peoples records, then add some effects, using it as a foundation of a track, and then re-releasing
it as your own production? I know the foundation of dance music rests on sampling, but where do you draw the line between straight theft, and using it in a creative manner to
remix this into your own track?

There have been times when I’ve heard a nice tune from someone, really wanted to rip it down into a .wav file and re-import it back into Ableton where I will play with the filters and basically just mess it all up until you cant hear any similarities. Yet the only thing that has stopped me from doing this is the sheer guilt I feel about so-called “stealing” from another producer’s works.

Seems like all the die-hards I know look down on sample CD’s and prefer to create everything from scratch, but im curious how everyone here at BOA feels about this topic.

p_brane
10-04-2008, 11:38 AM
This thread has raised an interesting thought. Sorry to high jack the thread, but it seems like everyone here is quite okay with grabbing someones loop and playing it in a Live PA.

Im curious though, how do you guys feel about sampling entire loops from other peoples records, then add some effects, using it as a foundation of a track, and then re-releasing
it as your own production? I know the foundation of dance music rests on sampling, but where do you draw the line between straight theft, and using it in a creative manner to

There have been times when I’ve heard a nice tune from someone, really wanted to rip it down into a .wav file and re-import it back into Ableton where I will play with the filters and basically just mess it all up until you cant hear any similarities. Yet the only thing that has stopped me from doing this is the sheer guilt I feel about so-called “stealing” from another producer’s works.

Seems like all the die-hards I know look down on sample CD’s and prefer to create everything from scratch, but im curious how everyone here at BOA feels about this topic.

nah mate IMO you should be striving to get your own sound, which isnt gonna come from ripping other peoples records. production for me is a very personal thing, a way to express myself.

mashing loads of other peoples loops up in a set is one thing, but i really couldnt bring myself to rip anyones stuff, never mind even thinking of releasing it. if your taking someone elses work and adding your own touch that be a remix.

just my thoughts

rhythmtech
10-04-2008, 11:55 AM

a straight loop is a bit of a no-no really BUT mess with it and make it your own and its creative sampling and if you think of sampling as a valid sound source then why not.

it seems to be a taboo to lift a loop from a techno record - but yet a hip hop or soul or funk record is perfectly acceptable???

right now i can list you out at least 20 releases off the top of my head that have done this.. and a 100 more whos loops i recognize from sample cds.

on the flip-side some people like to make everything from scratch aswell, for my own stuff personally it all depends on the project.

at the end of the day its all about what you make of it, and as long as you're not plagerising someones work, then you shouldnt let anyone else tell you otherwise.

p_brane
10-04-2008, 12:18 PM
it seems to be a taboo to lift a loop from a techno record - but yet a hip hop or soul or funk record is perfectly acceptable???

cracking point you make there, i see what your saying but sherly sampling within a genre brings about stagnation?

acidsaturation
10-04-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't see a problem. Though I think it's only fair to be good and get permission.

Dance music is about sampling historically, and it certainly is the case that it seems acceptable to get a loop from a hip-hop record or such like and mash it up, but not from another techno record... Why is this?

Yeh you should strive for your own sound, but it's always fun to build on what other people do... To be fair, I almost am inclined to (unless I released a track in some commercial manner where this is not possible) to explicitly state this, in some version on a creative commons licence. I can at least hope that by giving more freedom, if someone wanted to build on what I'd done they would respect the looser boundaries instead of breaking tighter ones.

rhythmtech
10-04-2008, 12:22 PM
cracking point you make there, i see what your saying but sherly sampling within a genre brings about stagnation?

only if you sample in a way that brings about stagnation.

with modern samplers like kontakt its so easy to sample a techno tune cause you like a certain element and rework it into a breakbeat or a broken glitchy beat.

this is no differant to sampling a kick and snare from a sample cd and writing your own beat with it.

*todays blackout audio was brought to you by the words "creative" and "sampling"*

Jay Pace
10-04-2008, 12:48 PM

Well, you can do that - but you're making a remix, or a bootleg.

Nothing wrong with that, dance music is built on it but usually breaks or samples are taken from differnet times or different genres - not contemporary artists from the same genre.

If you're "borrowing" another artists work and making a similar tune out them your just making a remix of their track. Suppose the main point of difference is whether or not you have their permission.

massplanck
10-04-2008, 02:01 PM
In Drum and Bass they sample old breaks not breaks from other Drum and Bass records!

rhythmtech
10-04-2008, 02:08 PM
In Drum and Bass they sample old breaks not breaks from other Drum and Bass records!

and in hip hop they sample old dance records and in electro they sample old hip hop records and in house they sample old disco records.. does it really make a blind bit of differance?

case in point - the source - you got the love
huge house anthem from a well respected producer samples another old house record.

i'll repeat this till my death bed - it aint what you do its the way that you do it

TechMouse
10-04-2008, 02:17 PM
and in electro they sample old hip hop records
Technically, in electro there is no sampling - it should all be synthesized.

rhythmtech
10-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Technically, in electro there is no sampling - it should all be synthesized.

well if we're gonna get technical then surely we shouldn't be relying on old analog gear to make techno as its meant to be "future" :lol: ... but yet some people would nearly kill their own mother for suggesting otherwise!

i fail to see how the journey is any business of anyone but the person who takes it. its the end result that matters.

if i hear a top tune (no matter what the genre) its still a top tune no matter who/what it samples.

another case in point:

the go team - they rip the fuk outta old northern soul and hip hop records yet they're probably one of the most "today" bands out there.. and he doesnt just sample "creativly", the guy has lifted entire choruses from tunes and stuck them in his own.

and you know what? its a fuking genius album.

massplanck
10-04-2008, 03:43 PM
well if we're gonna get technical then surely we shouldn't be relying on old analog gear to make techno as its meant to be "future" :lol: ... but yet some people would nearly kill their own mother for suggesting otherwise!

i fail to see how the journey is any business of anyone but the person who takes it. its the end result that matters.

if i hear a top tune (no matter what the genre) its still a top tune no matter who/what it samples.

another case in point:

the go team - they rip the fuk outta old northern soul and hip hop records yet they're probably one of the most "today" bands out there.. and he doesnt just sample "creativly", the guy has lifted entire choruses from tunes and stuck them in his own.

and you know what? its a fuking genius album.

For some reason I'll agree that its ok to sample outside your chosen genre and use it in your tunes. You're also less likely to get caught !
But sampling techno to make techno? Why would you even need to. People have every bit of software under the sun these days and loads of sounds at their disposal. Dont tell me you honestly feel the need to have to take a loop from a Speedy J record and 'make it your own'? (in a track you are releasing obviously)
That Minus Orange VS Spastik release on clone was a ****ing complete pisstake.

rhythmtech
10-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Dont tell me you honestly feel the need to have to take a loop from a Speedy J record and 'make it your own'? (in a track you are releasing obviously)

yes i have. ive sampled kicks, bass notes - anything and everything.

its absolutly no differant to sampling from another genre.. i dont really care if i get caught. is someone really gonna be bothered that i sampled a kick drum from their track? i know i wouldnt be.

*** just to be clear. im not talking about lifting a piece of a track and sticking it on another!!!!!

massplanck
10-04-2008, 04:00 PM
tbh sampling kick drums & hits is hardly plagurism in anyones book.

Jay Pace
10-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Mylo's album a few years back was almost completely made out of samples of other peoples records.

Copywrite ruled that because they had so little in common with the originals he had effectively made new music, so the samples didn't require clearance.

So I suppose its how you do it. Norman cook's remix of "brim full of asha" was basically exactly the same as the original, but with fatter crunchier drums and a few extra fills.

IT was blatantly a lot better, but I'm sure the royalties when to the original writers, not mr cook. All he did was spice up an original track.

You can do anything you want, sure. If it sounds great, so much the better.

Problem comes when you start making money from copying someone's ideas and presenting them as your own with no credit being paid to the originator.

If you make a killer hook, or riff, or drum fill and someone plonks it in their track to make it sell better then you deserve a cut of their monies.

Its more an issue when people are profiting. Which few people are. I don't think there's any problem in lifting other people's tracks so long as you're not making any coin out of doing it.

Microdot
10-04-2008, 04:05 PM

first and foremost. fcuk what anyone else frowns upon.
make good sounds come out of your speakers and enjoy yourself. the rest of it really doesn't matter.
if someone wants to take issue with the way you perform and/or put together your music, that's their look out.

if you wanna take two big fcukin loops from other people's records and drop em together to make a new track, do so.
there's alot of spastics around who will try to tell you what you can and cannot sample and what are or are not acceptable methods of creating music.
ignore them, they're basically fcuking idiots. if they don't like the way you do your shit, they don't have to listen to it.

massplanck
10-04-2008, 04:40 PM
there's alot of spastics around who will try to tell you what you can and cannot sample and what are or are not acceptable methods of creating music.
ignore them, they're basically fcuking idiots.

Here comes my Red Seal vs Player Series bootleg.

I reckon I could make a few quid off it.

278d7e64a374de26f==