PDA

View Full Version : clones 10 - ooops.. who didnt clear that sample!!!

rhythmtech
03-04-2008, 12:52 PM
dunno who's heard this but the a-side (the one i presume is the track in issue) samples both spastik and minus orange...

looks like ritchie got angry cause its been taken out of shops :lol: :lol:

dubs
03-04-2008, 01:05 PM
they didn't really do anything interesting with the edit anyway.

DannyBlack
03-04-2008, 01:23 PM
:lol: speaking of which, i have remixed one of your trax Baz, im releasing it in a month.

Hope you don't mind!

rhythmtech
03-04-2008, 01:24 PM
as long as you pay me a humburger by tuesday

DannyBlack
03-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Whats a humburger? do i need to wear lipgloss again Barry?

rhythmtech
03-04-2008, 01:29 PM
bumgloss... mmm ... slidey

Microdot
03-04-2008, 01:42 PM
fcuk richie hawtin.

stjohn
03-04-2008, 01:45 PM
can u just feel the sexual tension between danny and barry??

rhythmtech
03-04-2008, 01:49 PM
i know.. its horny isnt it!

DannyBlack
03-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I have a semi.

RDR
03-04-2008, 03:27 PM
I have a semi.

:lol:

That's damning baz with VERY faint praise.

Patrick DSP
03-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Best thread of the year!

TechMouse
03-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Is the implication that the samples in all the previous Clones records were cleared?

If so, I'm impressed.

rhythmtech
03-04-2008, 05:12 PM
i never implied anything!!!

except for my rugged handsomeness

DannyBlack
03-04-2008, 05:18 PM
i never implied anything!!! Except that Danny Black rocks my world and that I have sodded my own mother.

:lol: safe side!

rhythmtech
03-04-2008, 05:24 PM
:lol: safe side!

quite:rolleyes:

Patrick DSP
03-04-2008, 06:30 PM
So I guess that means hotpants cleared his sample from Yello's "Oh Yeah" for Minus Orange as well?

Microdot
04-04-2008, 03:09 AM
So I guess that means hotpants cleared his sample from Yello's "Oh Yeah" for Minus Orange as well?

doubt it.

TheRev
04-04-2008, 05:01 PM

From Discogs:

"Contains a sample from Yello "Oh Yeah" used by permission courtesy Datasound AG and with publisher's clearance courtesy Warner/Chappell Music GmbH. "

Still pretty lame on Richie's part IMO.

Microdot
04-04-2008, 07:09 PM
From Discogs:

"Contains a sample from Yello "Oh Yeah" used by permission courtesy Datasound AG and with publisher's clearance courtesy Warner/Chappell Music GmbH. "

Still pretty lame on Richie's part IMO.

how so?

eyeswithoutaface
04-04-2008, 07:17 PM
explain logically how it is lame for someone to use a sample that they actually took the time and cost to get clearance

teknorich
05-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Back to the Clones track, has anyone else actually heard it? It's really not great. Not so much sampling the tracks as literally just playing them together. I was really curious when I saw the description, but totally let down when I heard it...

rhythmtech
06-04-2008, 12:33 AM
yup.. have it here.. its ok.. not a patch on some previous clones.

TheRev
08-04-2008, 04:24 AM
Back to the Clones track, has anyone else actually heard it? It's really not great. Not so much sampling the tracks as literally just playing them together. I was really curious when I saw the description, but totally let down when I heard it...

If this is the case I retract my comment about it being lame.

Just to be clear I was referring to him having the record pulled (if he was the culprit) Not using the sample. Shit - I own M_Nus Orange and rocked the hell out of it when it came out.

But back to the Clones record, did any of the other clones records get clearance to sample those tracks?

I dunno if it was something hot and it got pulled, it just kind of sounds weak to pull it. Unless they're somehow making boatloads of cash off the records. But is anyone doing that in this industry?

eyeswithoutaface
08-04-2008, 07:23 PM
If this is the case I retract my comment about it being lame.

Just to be clear I was referring to him having the record pulled (if he was the culprit) Not using the sample. Shit - I own M_Nus Orange and rocked the hell out of it when it came out.

But back to the Clones record, did any of the other clones records get clearance to sample those tracks?

I dunno if it was something hot and it got pulled, it just kind of sounds weak to pull it. Unless they're somehow making boatloads of cash off the records. But is anyone doing that in this industry?

haha classic, make your mind up fella

i love how people just fail miserably to see things from the artists point of view in these things. This isnt just 2 shitty records that havent sold anyway being ripped, these are 2 massive tracks that are actually a source of income for someone, and i dare say if both were re-released again now they would sell bucketloads again. So there's nothing lame at all about someone like Hawtin getting a release stopped that blatently rips him in such a way. It makes perfect logical sense to me that the person who made the original music should still withold the right to decide how and when that music can are used in an instance such as this one.

I know the idea of Clones is it is a bootleg label, and i love a bootleg as much as the next guy, but that doesnt mean that the person being bootlegged shouldnt at least have the right to do something about it if they want to. Wether they actually can or not is a different matter, and obviously being at the level he is, it's not going to be hard for someone like Richie Hawtin to get his way im sure. As an example, i recently got directed to a torrent site where someone had uploaded one of my records for open download. Absolutely nothing i can do about it. The irony is, if the people who wanted the record had used the brain cells they have and emailed me i'd of sent them a vinyl copy if i have any spare, certainly mastered WAV's if not.

It's not always so black and white in this game unfortunately

fair enough if the record is actually good and you like it, but to say the original composer is lame for protecting their own interests is just crazy talk unfortunately

A.P.
08-04-2008, 08:00 PM
F**k Hawtin.
It's the f**king underground scene, "do what ya want", "sample what ya want" an "play what ya want".

Get on with it and stop f**king moaning!

rhythmtech
08-04-2008, 08:06 PM
i can see scotts point.. hawtin really has got the right to stop this..

but for fuks sake.. its clones.. i'd be honoured!!!

maybe hawtin thinks he's mariah carey?

eyeswithoutaface
08-04-2008, 08:42 PM
F**k Hawtin.
It's the f**king underground scene, "do what ya want", "sample what ya want" an "play what ya want".

haha, yeah, that's easily said and done when your at the level the likes of ourselves are at, but like i said in my post, you have to see this from the person involveds point of view. The difference between the actual business incentives involved in what the likes of Hawtin and company do/play/release and the likes of ourselves is to be fair, insane. With the releases in question, your talking thousands of dollars. No one would let that go if it was happening to them, that includes me and you also.

@ baz haha yeah, i know what you mean, but maybe he doesnt think Clones is a decent label, and like i say, the tracks in question will have and still could probably quite easily generate him a few thousand dollars or more, i know i would certainly do the same

davethedrummer
09-04-2008, 09:17 PM

dunno about being honoured
i'm not much of a clones fan tbh
the odd one maybe....

i'm sure rich tea wasn't sitting there thinking oh wow! i'm on clones!
now i can get that holiday in bermuda i've always wanted.

rhythmtech
09-04-2008, 09:24 PM
he shoulda been.

clones is a smashing label. you fail.

DannyBlack
09-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Utter bollox if you ask me. I love sampling, ripping shite apart and making it even more shite for shits and giggles. Bollox to Richie "the doo" Hawtin, this is techno, all about recycling music. Not pop, lawsuits and hissy fits.

eyeswithoutaface
09-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Utter bollox if you ask me. I love sampling, ripping shite apart and making it even more shite for shits and giggles. Bollox to Richie "the doo" Hawtin, this is techno, all about recycling music. Not pop, lawsuits and hissy fits.

well, that's just a nice ideal these days unfortunately. The sooner more people realise that things do actually turn into a business at some point, the better

i know for a fact everyone one of us on here would do the same thing if we had records out of such stature, which generated the level of income they have/do/would and someone was ripping them in such a fashion. Any of you who say you wouldnt are lying through what teeth you may have left

rhythmtech
09-04-2008, 10:25 PM
its a tough call.

i really cant see how it would affect sales of either of hawtins records anyway.. but as you say there comes a point where it becomes business.

but there are plenty of people doing bootlegs and a lot of them are bigish names.. even clones is owned by hertz.

DannyBlack
09-04-2008, 10:30 PM
As long as I have a bit of money for cheap whores and even cheaper whiskey, Id be alright.

TheRev
10-04-2008, 03:50 PM
haha classic, make your mind up fella

Not really flip flopping - I was under the impression that they had done more than just layer the two tracks.

See my thinking is that if an artist makes some signficant changes to a track and such and added something new and unique. It's a different story.

In an ideal world - yeah the original artist should likely get paid if there is a lot of $$$ involved. But I was always under the impression that lables like Clones are limited pressings.

I mean if this one shoudl be pulled, why not the rest of them?

rhythmtech
10-04-2008, 03:53 PM
I mean if this one shoudl be pulled, why not the rest of them?

cause the rest are actually quite good!! :lol:

Microdot
10-04-2008, 04:10 PM
F**k Hawtin.

word. that's the truth right there.
its worth remembering that on Substance Abuse, Hawtin's finest track by some distance, he himself sampled a vocal from Mr. Kirk's Nightmare by 4 Hero, which in turn was sampled from elsewhere.
there is no way on earth that Hawtin cleared that sample, and probably still hasn't to this day.

this is the underground motherfcukers, catch me if you can....

if someone sampled my shit and was making a whole load of money from it, I'd want my cut. but the record we're talking about here is a techno record so there's very little chance whoever's made it has made more than a couple of hundred quid from it.

DannyBlack
10-04-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm safe in the knowledge that NO ONE is ever gonna sample my shit, because it is just that hahahahahahahahahahaha! :lol:

acidsaturation
13-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm waiting outside your bathroom door with a mic to sample your shit as we speak. Take the idea of the tune made entirely from farts to a new level...

DannyBlack
13-04-2008, 09:35 PM
hahahaha thought I heard someone! Could you pass me the bog roll mate, I got a right struggle on me hands here!

RDR
14-04-2008, 11:15 AM

its more probable that if he DID pull it, then commercial reasons were more important than anything.

Smear
30-04-2008, 08:39 AM
I personally think none of the Clones recs are very good, but they're free to try and get away with it if they want, and Hawtin and everyone else is free to try and stop them.

The records are proper lowest common denominator fare though, the only one i heard with was the amazing idea of putting a filter/envelope follower on Let Your Body Learn. Even that was pants, haha.

Also, What little money Hawtin's made from Orange/Spastik(If i was to make a wild guess i'd say still only 5 figures over the years) is probably already in the bank, in the current climate he's not likely to make much more from them. I reckon he was just pissed off at having his songs stolen and another name put on them. I would be too.

JamieBall
04-05-2008, 02:16 PM
I personally think none of the Clones recs are very good, but they're free to try and get away with it if they want, and Hawtin and everyone else is free to try and stop them.

The records are proper lowest common denominator fare though, the only one i heard with was the amazing idea of putting a filter/envelope follower on Let Your Body Learn. Even that was pants, haha.

Also, What little money Hawtin's made from Orange/Spastik(If i was to make a wild guess i'd say still only 5 figures over the years) is probably already in the bank, in the current climate he's not likely to make much more from them. I reckon he was just pissed off at having his songs stolen and another name put on them. I would be too.

Amen to that.

Clones just plain SUCKS imo. It's people worshipping labels like this that stop things from going anywhere.

Don't even see how they're useful as tools, tbh, couldn't u just mix the originals together ? Are these records for people who cannot mix ? Fair enough if they tore the originals to pieces but they're nothing more than sampled remakes as far as I can tell (which are NEVER as good as the originals). I mean, the name of the label says it all, no ? Clones = Cloning = Copying, plain and simple.

This music has got to be one of the biggest cop-outs I can think of.

If you're making a collage, it surely has to be greater than the sum of its parts?? Evidently this notion has escaped some people....

I don't understand how the label is being referred to as 'mighty' etc, when we started to distro it back in the day I viewed it very much as filler for people who didn't know much about techno. Can't believe it's even still running, tbh, esp if they're been keeping up with their 'winning' formula.

Isn't it wonderful how times change !

module
08-05-2008, 12:33 AM
i'm sure hawtin has better to do.. prob a label decision.. maybe.. or distribution possibly ?

AND.. Beatport was giving away a 320 Spastik for about 3 months last year on the promo page.. if he can afford to give it away..

either way, who cares.. make you own f**kin clone & stop playing the same sh*t everyone else has :)

and for the record, Minus_Blah was £9.99 and over in Northern Ireland when it came out.. all stores.. american imports.. over priced & pressed on sh*t vinyl..

now THATS underground ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==