PDA

View Full Version : gates

tracatak
06-04-2008, 12:05 AM
hi

when and where are gates mostly used..i used a noise gate (cubase plug in) on my hit hat loop and it did wonders..i sidechained it after to the kick....should i try this all the time or does it work for pretty much any sound like bass etc..kick maybe? or is it more smart to use it in certain areas of the track..just curious to everyones thoughts on this..thanks

rhythmtech
06-04-2008, 12:36 AM
in "normal" music i'll use it to clean up bleed on tracks.

in techno ill use it as a creative effect. - like you said it can make hats lovely and crisp sounding..

Barely Human
06-04-2008, 12:51 AM
The only time ive ever really used noise gates is when recording guitars or cleaning up spoken samples. Never thought about using one creatively before.

Farnesol
06-04-2008, 01:06 AM
in techno ill use it as a creative effect. - like you said it can make hats lovely and crisp sounding..

with a gate? surely pretty much the same thing as playing with the hihat note decay?

rhythmtech
06-04-2008, 01:20 AM
with a gate? surely pretty much the same thing as playing with the hihat note decay?

yeah.. pretty similiar but on an audio loop you dont have note decay.

tracatak
06-04-2008, 07:35 AM
so try to use it mostly on hi hats..never on bass or kick

rhythmtech
06-04-2008, 12:04 PM
so try to use it mostly on hi hats..never on bass or kick

i never said that!!

use it on everything or nothing. there are no specific rules m8. if you're making techno you shouyld be striving to create something new (it is meant to be forward thinking music) - so anything differant that sounds good and works with the track is a good thing!

just keep experimenting.

tracatak
06-04-2008, 10:13 PM
got it..been doing that..but still like to hear other peoples results..thanks

RDR
07-04-2008, 10:40 AM
I gate in the studio as noise reduction, bleed from other instruments when miking a kit up for example.

In dance music i use it to strip down percussion and then use the threshold to bring in other parts of the loop.

Its just a dynamics process so therefore the material dictates its use.

massplanck
07-04-2008, 11:17 AM

Gates are just a way of changing the length of an audio files decay. A bassline with notes which all are completely static and unchanging in lenght will most likley bore the shite out of the listener. Even on kick drums its a good idea to vary the lenght even if its so small & miniscule that its unnoticable. Subconsciously it is and makes stuff more 'musical'

You shouldnt have to use gates on notes if you are getting creative with Midi using ADSR etc.

That said gates can be fun on long notes, pads & audio loops.

TechMouse
07-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Not Techno, but there's a track called The Gate by Plump DJs. So called, because they gated virtually everything in the track.

http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF1304960-02-01-05.mp3

278d7e64a374de26f==