PDA

View Full Version : Making Compressor More Intense

tracatak
06-04-2008, 07:38 AM
HOW DO I GET THE COMPRESSOR TO PUMP MORE

i use compressor de esser(on everythign but my kick..like bass, etc)
with a side chain plug in (on my kick channel)
and i sidechain a bass sample to my kick (and a hi hat loop to my kick, etc)

but it never seems to pump enough ..i play with threshold , ratio till it pumps but just never seems to really pump...do i need more compressors on same channel or one on the master channel or does the final pumping (or compressed to death as u say ) come in the final stages by the mastering process..

thanks

hope this makes sense....may i need to add some sorta distortion after or before the plug in process..or maybe just a simple eq issue..

rhythmtech
06-04-2008, 12:05 PM
high ratio - around 20:1
fast release

Barely Human
06-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Try running a sidechain to your other channels,(claps, hats), from the kick. Dont go over the top with it though or it will suck the life out.

BloodStar
06-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Dont forget watching Gain Reduction meter on compressors. If you too far you see it is just standing on one place, which means no pumping, eh? Then just imagine, that if you overcompressed all single chanels it alltogether leads to lost of dynamics and no pumping. pretty simple.

twist Ratio, Threshold and Attack/Release knobs, then watch gain reduction meter, and it should nicely going up and down between every kick hit...
gating your kick then compressing it could help too.

tracatak
06-04-2008, 10:17 PM
can u help me figure out how to gate my kick..in cubase...

do i just put noise gate on the kicks then add compressor?

im going to try that,,.

why exactly does this process work..

does the gate open and close the kick and the compressor pumps that?

sorry sometimes i like explanations

helps me remember for next time ..=)

thanks

tracatak
06-04-2008, 10:29 PM
been trying the VST DYNAMICS in cubase ..=) instead of tc works compressor de esser

278d7e64a374de26f==