PDA

View Full Version : what is the best 303 emulation soft synth

josephjobling
08-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Just a quick question. as i can't afford a tb303 i wanted to know what the best software version was. i use computer magazine's cm303 which isn' bad but isn't great. which one sound the closest.

pat_mcgerkin
08-04-2008, 05:38 AM
I don't know first hand, but the two I always see recommended are Phoscyon (spelling?) and Audiorealism Bassline.

xes
08-04-2008, 08:37 AM
download rebirth :) Audiorealism is also good.

rhythmtech
08-04-2008, 11:25 AM
rebirth sux cock.. doesnt sound like a 303

d16 phoscyon - for a more modded 303 sound

audiorealism bassline 2.10 for a true emulation.

A.P.
08-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Just get hold of all the software ones you can and see which suits you best mate.

I use Bassline for most of my acid tracks but recently i've been getting my head round the D16 Phoscyon.
I've never used Audiorealism for acid, infact i dont even think i've got it.

Has anyone got a download link for the Audiorealism 2.10 version?

Nice one.

rhythmtech
08-04-2008, 02:40 PM
I use Bassline for most of my acid tracks
I've never used Audiorealism for acid, infact i dont even think i've got it.

Nice one.

audiorealism IS bassline!!! :lol:

2.10 update is available from their site - www.audiorealism.se

A.P.
08-04-2008, 02:44 PM

I know yeah, i'm talking about the little bassline plug inn that i use.
Ya know the one mate, just looks exactly like a TB303.

A.P.
08-04-2008, 02:47 PM

Cheers for the link mate.:smile:

rhythmtech
08-04-2008, 02:51 PM
I know yeah, i'm talking about the little bassline plug inn that i use.
Ya know the one mate, just looks exactly like a TB303.

dunno what one that is? maybe the "moun tau"?

can you do a screenshot and upload it?

A.P.
08-04-2008, 07:44 PM

I'll upload the plug inn for ya mate.
Have you got the whole installation for ABL 2 coz i haven't got the earlier version as this link is the update isnt it.

Nice one.

rhythmtech
08-04-2008, 08:07 PM
pm...

josephjobling
09-04-2008, 05:51 PM
cheers guys i will down load the audio realism bassline is it worth the £90 - has any one got a link to a track they have done with the bassline so i can listen that would be cool. cheers for the advice x

rhythmtech
09-04-2008, 06:04 PM
cheers guys i will down load the audio realism bassline is it worth the £90 - has any one got a link to a track they have done with the bassline so i can listen that would be cool. cheers for the advice x

well worth the 90!!!

http://www.chrome-metronome.net/rhythmtechnologies/Rhythm_Technologies-DTX303_6.mp3

josephjobling
09-04-2008, 07:59 PM
love the tune - the bassline sounds well good - i will be downloading it, cheers. any one reading this thread who wants to give there tb303 away for free i'll have it (i wish ha ha ) x

benji303
09-04-2008, 09:45 PM
PHOSCYON is the best imo

Louk
15-04-2008, 06:20 AM
PHOSCYON is the best imo

not that i use much acid i actually like the cm303 quite a lot, try shoving it thru a manic distortion like quadrafuzz, turn the gain up and i've always found it gets results

Louk

josephjobling
16-04-2008, 09:20 AM
cheers - i've tried a few plugins with it but non of mine improved it. i haven't got a quadrafuzz - where can i get it and how much.
think i am going to get the phocyon - its only 40 quid (bargin)

josephjobling
16-04-2008, 11:21 AM
btw tried the cm303 through a different fuzz plug in but results not what i wanted - downloaded a demo of the phocyon and its sweet - i think i will buy this one.
only one problem could not find out how to assighn the midi controlls (some are pre set though) is this because its a demo version x

AcidTrash
18-04-2008, 09:18 AM
phoscyon is very good. I have a tb303 clone which is about as close as you'll get because it used the same components and pcb and most of the time I wouldnt bother plugging it in because while its fun to play with the difference is really not much to write home about. It is just an analogue pulse generator. I certainly wouldn't spend £1500 on a tb303 even if I had it spare.. but in the end for lead lines I wouldn't swap the Arlsm bassline for anything.

This is something silly I did using only the emulator...

http://umbrellog.com/music/funkkkkk.mp3

This is it...

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/concussor/tb303.htm

Contrasted with the vst...

http://umbrellog.com/music/omarkhansauthenticindiantakeaway.mp3
http://umbrellog.com/music/kinaldieautospares.mp3

Nuffin in it. The legend of the TB303 is mostly a case of "emperors new clothes"

josephjobling
19-04-2008, 12:31 AM
fair play - i have always wanted a tb303 and would buy it if i had 1500 quid to spare the i'd spend another grand and send it to devil fish then i would lock my self in the bdroom for a year. - i have now purchased the phohcyon and i love it cheers for all the advice.
one dilema i saw rythmtech's post on the d16 web site where they where dibating this very issue (but in an immature way) then rythmtech (the only one to make any sense) said that the ABL was better at the low end propper emulation and phoscyon was a better moded 303, so i think i will get the ABL in a few weeks aswell - not sure see how this one goes first.
but once again cheers for the sound advice - thats why i love this site.

josephjobling
19-04-2008, 12:33 AM
forgot to say acidtrash love the tunes (i one day aspire to e able to do this) x

Metadog
22-04-2008, 02:27 AM
audio realism bassline two is good

is what i use anyway

got the built in 303 style sequencer to get it slippin an slidin

xes
22-04-2008, 09:30 AM
phoscyon is very good. I have a tb303 clone which is about as close as you'll get because it used the same components and pcb and most of the time I wouldnt bother plugging it in because while its fun to play with the difference is really not much to write home about. It is just an analogue pulse generator. I certainly wouldn't spend £1500 on a tb303 even if I had it spare.. but in the end for lead lines I wouldn't swap the Arlsm bassline for anything.

This is something silly I did using only the emulator...

http://umbrellog.com/music/funkkkkk.mp3

This is it...

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/concussor/tb303.htm

Contrasted with the vst...

http://umbrellog.com/music/omarkhansauthenticindiantakeaway.mp3
http://umbrellog.com/music/kinaldieautospares.mp3

Nuffin in it. The legend of the TB303 is mostly a case of "emperors new clothes" Pete,that clone,what do you run it through? Could I plug it into my mixer/midi controller (CME UF50)/pc? Or all of the above. I'm gagging for some knobs to twiddle. (and i've not figured out how to map ABL through ableton to my midi cos I'm a thick impatient bastard) :embarrassed:

echodek
23-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Pete,that clone,what do you run it through? Could I plug it into my mixer/midi controller (CME UF50)/pc? Or all of the above. I'm gagging for some knobs to twiddle. (and i've not figured out how to map ABL through ableton to my midi cos I'm a thick impatient bastard) :embarrassed:

once you've loaded the plugin into a midi track, a little box pops up at the bottom of the ableton window. at the top of that box is a little button with a triangle in it. click the triangle, and all the ABL2 parameters are listed for you to map to a controller. i've attached a screengrab...

xes
23-04-2008, 09:54 AM
once you've loaded the plugin into a midi track, a little box pops up at the bottom of the ableton window. at the top of that box is a little button with a triangle in it. click the triangle, and all the ABL2 parameters are listed for you to map to a controller. i've attached a screengrab...

cheers dude,I'll give it a try tonight :) I once managed to get a little light to flash when i pressed buttons. But that's about it :lol:

xes
23-04-2008, 07:45 PM
had a little play,got the box up,but I still can't map it. Probably cos I'm not running a legit version of either,and it's god punnishing me.

AcidTrash
23-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Pete,that clone,what do you run it through? Could I plug it into my mixer/midi controller (CME UF50)/pc? Or all of the above. I'm gagging for some knobs to twiddle. (and i've not figured out how to map ABL through ableton to my midi cos I'm a thick impatient bastard) :embarrassed:

I haven't a clue. It just works as a midi slave. I make my riffs then pipe it out to the box. My advice is not to bother. there is nothign at all wrong with ABL. The difference is negligable and the hype about the real thing is just hype. By the time you';ve run it throughj a shitty distortion unit or overdriven desk and recorded it and eq'd it you've lost any semblnce of analogue realism you may have had and the majority of acid lines depend more on the fx than the pulse generator anyway.

The old gueard, nostalgic about the old days may call me a heretic and while they may have dozens of records out using the real box, I have been using emulators for 7 years nowand I have yet to find the ABL or phoscyon wanting in any great dimension.

I'm with DB on this one. The trade off is not worth the sacrifice in money. I say with a reasonable degree of confidence that when my tunes are good, theyre fcking great and I think the spontenaeity of my tracks would be lost if I spent half my time fcking around with hardware that never sounds the same twice.

AcidTrash
23-04-2008, 07:57 PM
audio realism bassline two is good

is what i use anyway

got the built in 303 style sequencer to get it slippin an slidin

You can do the same with midi patterns and varying velocity. But why bother? abl is the shit.

This (http://umbrellog.com/music/omarkhansauthenticindiantakeaway.mp3) is the abl. If abl isnt good enough for you, nothing will be.

davethedrummer
23-04-2008, 10:43 PM
You can do the same with midi patterns and varying velocity. But why bother? abl is the shit.

This (http://umbrellog.com/music/omarkhansauthenticindiantakeaway.mp3) is the abl. If abl isnt good enough for you, nothing will be.

sorry mate i have to say you are way off the mark if you think the ABL can totally replace the real thing.

it's pretty good for sure
but the real thing still has that edge especially at high resonance settings, at least to my ears it does.
and i disagree with the shitty distortion / crappy desk argument too
it's still analogue mate and some things just sound better than others.
put the real thing through the mackie and hey presto !

MARK ANXIOUS
24-04-2008, 12:50 AM
sorry but i totally agree with d the d. abl is good but if you really do know the true sound of the tb-303, you'll notice a difference - especially if you use shitty batteries in it. just my 2 cents :)

Electrictribe
24-04-2008, 08:34 AM
sorry mate i have to say you are way off the mark if you think the ABL can totally replace the real thing.

but the real thing still has that edge especially at high resonance settings, at least to my ears it does.
it's still analogue mate and some things just sound better than others.
put the real thing through the mackie and hey presto !

Agreed. I have phoscyon, and ABL. ABL is my choice of the 2 and it does do a good job. But it never sits aswell in the mix as my tb. The resonance and the accent just sound better.

xes
24-04-2008, 09:29 AM
with reguards to hardware clones,what is the general thoughts on the futureretro revolution? Here's a little video comparing it to a tb 303
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkALw4qZbRE&feature=related

Electrictribe
24-04-2008, 11:10 AM
with reguards to hardware clones,what is the general thoughts on the futureretro revolution? Here's a little video comparing it to a tb 303
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkALw4qZbRE&feature=related

Is meant to be pretty good from what i have heard. Think they are around £600. Not seen them on sale in the UK somewher ein germany stocks them though i think can't remember the name of the shop though.

AcidTrash
24-04-2008, 12:12 PM

I have near as dammit the real thing and "that sound" is totally achievable with the inbuilt foldback distortion on ABL (with added after effects). In many respects this analogue solutions TBX303 thing is even more versatile for an analogue acid box and I still wouldn't go to the effort of plugging it in for Skankadelic style or hard dance style acidlines.

If you want that hyper psychedelic hi res sound with hi mod, sure I take my hat off to analogue but soon as you mix it down into a track it really doesn't add much. I only really notice "that sound" when it's playing live but then I'm betting that if I spent as much time with phoscyon as I have with this and other emulators I could produce a track even you wouldn't know for sure.

You mean to tell me after near two decades of being a travelling DJ you still have that hearing range? ;)

it's still analogue mate and some things just sound better than others. put the real thing through the mackie and hey presto !But once it's recorded it's then digital so it's a pretty redundant argument, no? Unless you're maintaining analogue purity throughout or very high quality 24bit recording, which incidentally will not burn onto CD at that rate.

I really notice the difference in sound from all analogue live sets the likes of eggybamyasi and hardfloor but I'm still gonna go out there and say, sound quality aside, it still sounds ameteurish and not nealy as dynamic as the latter day acid techno. In my humblest opinion.

But then like all things, it really does depend on what you're trying to achieve. I couldn't get the ABL to replicate say Lock or International rescue but I can't get this clone to either. Hell, I can't even get this thing sounding the same twice. I suppose that is the merit of having one but it''s damn annoying if you find something and want to revisit it.

force
24-04-2008, 02:14 PM
But once it's recorded it's then digital so it's a pretty redundant argument, no? Unless you're maintaining analogue purity throughout or very high quality 24bit recording, which incidentally will not burn onto CD at that rate.

:lol:

You just don't get it, do you????

AcidTrash
24-04-2008, 04:01 PM
nope. you'll have to elaborate. I'm coming form a position of clinical analysis on this and I really can't find much difference to write home about.

"analogue is just better OK" is a mantra, not an argument.

dan the acid man
24-04-2008, 04:18 PM
nope. you'll have to elaborate. I'm coming form a position of clinical analysis on this and I really can't find much difference to write home about.

doesn't matter what it ends up on, it's the original source of the sound that's important.

getting back to the orginal question for a second, xes, if you're honestly still thinking of going hardware, then don't get anything less than a tb303, ok it may mean you have to save for another year or whatever, but if you're wanting a 303 sound then it's the only way to go, other than that stick with the abl or that psychothingy (sorry can't remember the name).

The ABL is damn good if you use the right plug ins with it, but i do agree it loses it a little on the high resonance.

rhythmtech
24-04-2008, 04:46 PM

well then you need to listen more.

it doesnt make a differance to me.. it think the abl sounds as good.. not the same though, theres a slight differance.

AcidTrash
24-04-2008, 05:25 PM
post an example of this legendary hi res. Lets put this to the test shall we?

AcidTrash
24-04-2008, 05:28 PM
doesn't matter what it ends up on, it's the original source of the sound that's important.

But it's radically altered by whatever you pipe it through anyway so what you're hearing is the effects on what is just an analogue pulse generator.

Electrictribe
25-04-2008, 10:50 AM
ok if i get some time over the weekend i will record the same pattern using all 3 and we can have a comparison test. Won't be till sunday at the earliest though.

Metadog
29-04-2008, 01:36 AM

wrong mate, you can't do the same with midi patterns and varying velocity

well i can't at any rate

believe me i tried for eight or so years and just got stiff acid lines

then worked with mik cree who can program 303 lines into the sequencer and realised that was the way to get slick slidin lines

eventually got into programmin the internal sequencer on audio realism bassline and all of a sudden slippin slidin acid was at my fingertips

davethedrummer
12-05-2008, 11:26 PM
yeah it's the sequencer really that does the trick

i just got that phosycon one now , it's not bad either

rhythmtech
12-05-2008, 11:36 PM
i just got that phosycon one now , it's not bad either

i use ABL for twisted slippy 303 lines and phoscyon for real barky staccato stuff.

2 great vst's imo

analog tactic
13-05-2008, 04:21 PM
http://www.acidvoice.com/

This is an interetsing site to compare 303 emulators give audio samples so you can see how close they are. still nothing compares to the original tho

josephjobling
18-08-2008, 12:12 AM

josephjobling
18-08-2008, 12:15 AM
The ABL is damn good if you use the right plug ins with it, but i do agree it loses it a little on the high resonance.
got to grips with the abl and the phoscyon now - just wondering wich plugins get the best results in your opinion - ta

nihilist
19-08-2008, 03:34 PM
can some explain how to 'work the internal sequencer' in abl2?

personall i dont use the distortion on abl2, ive found the it cuts away at the high res , so i use D16 devistator distortion.

ive never used a reall tb303 but i must amit that it does seem to sound better but then again it just be the way i use the abl2

278d7e64a374de26f==