PDA

View Full Version : Universal Records = John Peel, apparently - this makes me mad

RDR
11-04-2008, 08:12 AM
http://www.unpredictableporridge.com/?gclid=CJCEx9m50pICFQpOMAodfFviCg

Unpredictable Porridge
John Peel upload site for aspiring artists direct to Universal's A&R
www.unpredictableporridge.com

WTF! Since when did John Peel's image become the property of universal, I fail to believe that the big man himself would condone this direct and sole link to Universal.

:hmmm:

echodek
11-04-2008, 09:04 AM
John Peel's son set it up. I read somewhere that the initial idea was to get loads of record companies onboard... but for some reason Universal ended up funding it... I guess all the other A&R men are happy with MySpace.

Martin Dust
11-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Yeah, John's son runs it.

Jay Pace
11-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Glad his son is doing it.

John Peel was a way in for lots of people. No matter what you made, you could send it to him and if he listened and liked it he'd play it.

Used to love his show. Thrash metal followed by happy hardcore.

TechMouse
11-04-2008, 11:54 AM
I saw John Peel DJ at The Big Chill a few years back.

One of the most amazing DJ sets I've ever seen.

Teenage Kicks into Stadium Trance into Sea Shanty into Happy Hardcore... and so on for an hour.

Records at the wrong speed, fading across when he didn't have anything queued up, just standing back with his eyes closed nodding his head.

Absolute magic. Never seen (or heard) anything else like it. Ever.

Martin Dust
11-04-2008, 12:33 PM
He could get away with murder but everyone knew he was for real and loved music, deeply missed at dust towers.

rhythmtech
11-04-2008, 01:10 PM
deeply missed everywhere.

he gave my old band our first radio play outside ireland.

RDR
11-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Never the less im not sure he would have lent his name to ONLY universal. It stands to reason, he truly was in there for the little guy, not inthere as A+R for Universal.

Sadly missed.

Martin Dust
11-04-2008, 02:18 PM
His son is probably better positioned to make that call, John worked with some massive brands and corps.

SlavikSvensk
11-04-2008, 02:42 PM
John Peel was a way in for lots of people.

used to play his (recorded) U.S. show every friday night at the radio station i used to work for. i discovered loads of bands, including many of my all-time favorites, through him.

MorePunkThanFunk
11-04-2008, 03:02 PM
universal practically own the entire music industry so it's no surprise on this.

You should see the figures on their share of the global music industry it's staggering

278d7e64a374de26f==