PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Dear's HD stolen in the middle of a set!

koma
11-04-2008, 04:02 PM
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2008/04/matthew_dears_h.html

and nobody saw anything, wtf :confused: :no:

rhythmtech
11-04-2008, 04:06 PM
funny that. i had a midi controller stolen at the orange peel while i was packing up - room was still full.. and nobody saw it.

eyeswithoutaface
11-04-2008, 04:06 PM
ouch

this was quite funny though

vinyl: 1
laptops: 0

koma
11-04-2008, 04:09 PM
funny that. i had a midi controller stolen at the orange peel while i was packing up - room was still full.. and nobody saw it.

i know a local dj who once came to the club, left his record bag full of new stuff in the dh booth, went for a drink, when he came back - no bag...

TheRev
11-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Yeh this got around on a local message board the next day. I was there but left before and am amazed because the place was pretty packed.

Apparently it was some girls that stole it!

The booth is right at ground level and super easy for people to walk right up to it and the place is dark as shit. I'm guessin it was at that lovely hour when the only folks that are still standing are likely fairly mangled, hence it went unnoticed long enough for the person to step away.

Crazy though. I mean, who does that?

drift9
11-04-2008, 04:11 PM
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2008/04/matthew_dears_h.html

and nobody saw anything, wtf :confused: :no:

same spot where a bouncer was murdered 5-or-so years ago for telling someone not to smoke. good times.

weird, as it's not a bad part of town.

Jay Pace
11-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Carl Cox had a record bag stolen from a club once.

Guy called him up and had the balls to make him buy it back of him.

massplanck
11-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Oh Dear!

eyeswithoutaface
11-04-2008, 04:20 PM
i remember being in Lakota in Bristol once, getting ready to play a set, the dj before me's last record was playing, i had my phones plugged in, got my first 2 records sticking out the top of my record bag, turned round to get my drink off the speaker stack, turned back round, first record was gone!

couldnt believe it, lightening fast. I'm talking like the time it takes to turn around, locate your bottle, grab it and turn back around. 10 seconds maximum. Was fuming actually, it was a good record too.

That's Bristol for you though

fatcollective
11-04-2008, 04:21 PM

in all fairness baz we were all that shitfaced we could have left it in the taxi :eek:

rhythmtech
11-04-2008, 04:23 PM
in all fairness baz we were all that shitfaced we could have left it in the taxi :eek:

but you rang the taxi place next day.. and why would i take it out of my bag in the taxi when it was all packed up? i was mashed.. but not THAT mashed!! :lol:

tocsin
11-04-2008, 05:17 PM
I've VJ'd there a couple times. I actually like the venue a lot. Thing is, when are performers going to learn that you ALWAYS watch your shit like a hawk? If you're leaving the area, you have a friend watch it. If it's the type of thing someone could grab and run with, you lock it down. It's pretty damn rare when I don't have a lock on my laptop when I'm standing behind it 99% of the time. And with that, you still have to watch it, or have others watch it, for reasons other than theft. It only takes that one clumsy douche with a glass of beer to **** everything up.

DannyBlack
11-04-2008, 05:57 PM

Jesus, you still going on about that?? feck sake, man if i knew you loved it that much... Wanna buy it back boss?

TheRev
11-04-2008, 06:36 PM
same spot where a bouncer was murdered 5-or-so years ago for telling someone not to smoke. good times.

weird, as it's not a bad part of town.

I'm thinking this has the twinge of some sort of other drama being played out in a really messed up way....

Microdot
11-04-2008, 07:09 PM
hate thieves, should cut their fcukin hands off imo.

The Overfiend
11-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Easy there Hammurabi!
lol
Just a good punch to the bottom lip.
Enough to get that white flash before the DOOOOSH!

MARK ANXIOUS
12-04-2008, 08:57 AM
check out some of the 'ill-informed' comments to that article on that link. do some people really still live in the dark ages??? hahahaaha

djfilthmonger
12-04-2008, 11:05 AM
check out some of the 'ill-informed' comments to that article on that link. do some people really still live in the dark ages??? hahahaaha

"do you think matthew dear is related to matthew sweet?

can't say i'm bummed about it, though. it sucks when people yank other folks' personal property...

but computer jockeys are called users, not musicians.

sure, being a dj may require some skill and talent, but is it really appealing to anyone?

gimme ****in rock n roll. more guitars. more louder.

steve jobs can't jam."

ha ha do these people know what year it is

acidsaturation
13-04-2008, 09:08 PM

This always scares me, some of the times I've played out with about £3k worth of boxes and got shitfaced after my set and on occasion not been 100% sure how I got home...

So far only lost a wall-wart and a few midi cables tho...

tocsin
14-04-2008, 04:40 PM
This always scares me, some of the times I've played out with about -L-3k worth of boxes and got shitfaced after my set and on occasion not been 100% sure how I got home...

So far only lost a wall-wart and a few midi cables tho...

Did you actually "lose" them? Having been in the same situation myself a few times, I've found that I've usually just put the shit in a stupid place I otherwise wouldn't have, and rediscover it a couple years later. ;)

stjohn
14-04-2008, 05:19 PM
full bag of funky techno, in the boot of a taxi...
fall out of taxi, with no bag. straight ino the house

super funtime

:hmmm:
sitll makes me sad

Siege
14-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I did that once...taxi home from manchester with bag of records in the back with me...15 min after getting in the house ,realised id forgot pick my bag up...not a nice feeling,let me tell ya!
Managed to get it back though after tracing the driver and paying him again to bring it back...was very lucky!

DannyBlack
14-04-2008, 06:15 PM
I have that look on my face which says "steal it and I'll kill ya".... That and I play Schranz... who's gonna steal that??

Darkmode
14-04-2008, 06:23 PM
I can't stand it when people do things like that they are total scum & the people posting up negative comments about him on that forum are ****ing inbreds

tocsin
14-04-2008, 07:17 PM
I can't stand it when people do things like that they are total scum & the people posting up negative comments about him on that forum are ****ing inbreds

Well, with the additional problem of it being the internet, that scene over there is composed of a lot of people who want to be celebrated for being the next best and freshest thing, all while sounding and looking exactly like their peers, which makes for loads of fun high school bickering and drama. Funny thing is that I can't even recall a time where I've actually dealt with one of these kinds of douches in person over in that area.

BDC
14-04-2008, 07:41 PM
sucks...welcome to NYC though...

I remember back in 97 (i think...this was years ago)...spiral tribe came to the states to do some touring...and unfortunately had a good portion if not all of the gear they traveled with at the time stolen...and what really sucked is that it happened at the infamous Rave Rock , outlaw site in NYC....sacred land to us old schoolers....apparently by this crew of thugs who were eventually taken out by the feds for gang related crimes...

a lot of us (dj's, promoters, etc) were disgusted and embarrassed....

this although on a much smaller scale sucks and hopefully he has a back up hard drive which I'd imagine he does...guess its a lesson for us to remember....back yo shite up.

The Overfiend
14-04-2008, 08:11 PM
BTShady!!!

Elvio Neto
14-04-2008, 10:49 PM
i remember one time when carl cox was playing in South Portugal (KADOC DISCO) and is vinyls bag was stolen in airport (this was in 1998/1999 i think)

the guy as left with nothing to play in that night big party...

A.Paul and ZE MIG L are very friendly guys and save the night , they share their bags of vinyl with Carl Cox

kadoc disco in Portugal is one of the biggest clubs in the world (its a building like a factory) , have 5 dance floors (inside and Open Air dance floors) and 15000 people screaming for techno

theres another kadoc in spain but its not so big like this one

conor256
15-04-2008, 02:45 PM
when we had the geezer playing in belfast last year we all got out of the taxi at the afterparty and guy left his laptop in the back seat..... it was just a black taxi we waved in the street and we had no way of finding it among the hundreds of black taxis

guy was gutted ..... as ye would be..... luckily the driver was decent and when he realised he drove it back.... all he would take was enough to cover the fare it cost driving back with it....

davethedrummer
15-04-2008, 11:36 PM
i left my back pack at a small private wedding party last weekend in brazil
containing

money: all of it
passport
credit cards : all of them plus driving license
airline ticket
laptop
midi controller
final scratch amp
and 500 gb hard disk