PDA

View Full Version : [Bootleg comp] Sid Viscus- Jacked and Knifed.

DannyBlack
15-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Here's my attempt at Baz' remix comp, it's pretty loopy and stripped down. Enjoy.
I was gonna do a schranzer attack but the sample sounded crap when a sped it up to 165bpm.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tqopyi

rhythmtech
15-04-2008, 02:37 PM
ok.. i know you dont produce much danny so ill be harsh just cause you're a cunt!!!

hahaha.. only kiddin.

*tune
the overall idea is good. i like the idea with the little stops on the piano riff. it could do with more variation on the hats and kick drum. also needs more percussion. not a bad effort though.

*sound
firstly you need to upload in better quality as its impossible to judge at that bitrate. there does seem to be some weird phasing issues with the kick - have you layered a few differant kicks without eqing them to eliminate phase? mid range is non-existant. percussion will beef that up for you. sub needs something too as the kick is coming across quite honky

what monitors are you using or is it stereo speakers?

anyway for your 2nd tune its a good effort - you know where to go and you understand the structure parts, you just need to put the head down and learn to get you to the next level.

DannyBlack
15-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Nice one Baz! There is a pesky little phasing issue, I layered about 3 kicks and it buggers up in a few places. Im using no speakers at all, just a set of head phones for the time being.

Cheers for the feedback Baz, Im gonna feck around with it some more with your words in mind. Structure at the moment is killing me, its like I know where I want it to go- just a pain gettin there if you get me?

rhythmtech
15-04-2008, 02:57 PM
in regards to the kick drum - you need to identify the strong points of each and eq around that

for a 3 kick layer try eqing one to just produce the high klick and slap
eq another for the mid bang and the 3rd for the low end sub.

like i said you need to identify which contains the nicest frequencies for each eq job.

when i choose kicks ill usually choose some that are already rich in certain frequencies so as to keep eqing to a minimum.

you should also send all 3 to a group bus and compress them together

try these settings - threshold -6, ratio 3:1 to 5:1, attack slow (this lets the initial click thru and release long(ish) (this helps to gel the lower frequencies)

DannyBlack
15-04-2008, 03:12 PM
in regards to the kick drum - you need to identify the strong points of each and eq around that

for a 3 kick layer try eqing one to just produce the high klick and slap
eq another for the mid bang and the 3rd for the low end sub.

like i said you need to identify which contains the nicest frequencies for each eq job.

when i choose kicks ill usually choose some that are already rich in certain frequencies so as to keep eqing to a minimum.

you should also send all 3 to a group bus and compress them together

try these settings - threshold -6, ratio 3:1 to 5:1, attack slow (this lets the initial click thru and release long(ish) (this helps to gel the lower frequencies)

Nice one Guv'nor! will do, im gonna go play with it some more. :smile:

BloodStar
16-04-2008, 04:53 PM
i am liking the idea. the track has nice oldschool feel to it. i think it needs some new sounds, lead, maybe some bacground atmo + some fx here and there to keep the listeners interest.

i think that basic idea is there and now it needs to improve production part of thing. i would first define the roles for each of sounds you want in the track,.
As for kicks, grab the EQ and cut the shit out of those clashing kicks to give them better definition/thump/punch. if they are separate chanels, EQ them and then send to group as already mentioned, then compress, etc.

Try also using other FXs creatively to completely mash the sounds. It is also good to duplicate the sounds into other chanel,. Put effects just on one channel and then mix them both together, you can get quite interesting results, tho.

DannyBlack
16-04-2008, 11:40 PM
i am liking the idea. the track has nice oldschool feel to it. i think it needs some new sounds, lead, maybe some bacground atmo + some fx here and there to keep the listeners interest.

i think that basic idea is there and now it needs to improve production part of thing. i would first define the roles for each of sounds you want in the track,.
As for kicks, grab the EQ and cut the shit out of those clashing kicks to give them better definition/thump/punch. if they are separate chanels, EQ them and then send to group as already mentioned, then compress, etc.

Try also using other FXs creatively to completely mash the sounds. It is also good to duplicate the sounds into other chanel,. Put effects just on one channel and then mix them both together, you can get quite interesting results, tho.

cheers mate! my track to be honest is fairly shitty, but to be fair it took 4 hours- I'm taking the advise that is posted in this thread and using it for my unnamed baby!

What I'm aiming for is some kind of really punchy kicking basic beats and you and Baz have put me on the right track, so muchos respect and thanks!!!!

:smile:

I know this is probably top secret, but what software are you guys using?

stjohn
17-04-2008, 03:30 AM
story danny... would like to check ths out..but sendspace never works for me.. always full capacity.

any other way? barry maybe u can upload it to ur space or something?

p_brane
17-04-2008, 10:25 AM
not bad work for 4 hours really.

engineering still needs some work though.

really buzzing off the little slow down on the sample, nice and creative.

as said a few more patterns/progression. :)

DannyBlack
21-04-2008, 09:39 AM
not bad work for 4 hours really.

engineering still needs some work though.

really buzzing off the little slow down on the sample, nice and creative.

as said a few more patterns/progression. :)

you like that lil piano bit yeah. Thats the only part that I like i think :lol: cheers matey!

278d7e64a374de26f==