PDA

View Full Version : Warp drop Jimmy Edgar's new album

Darkmode
28-04-2008, 12:20 AM
I read this from a bulletin Jimmy Edgar posted up on myspace

During the last 2 years Jimmy Edgar has been hard at work on new music.

Jimmy has completed various new releases & new side projects, one of which was his album for delivery to Warp Records.

It has come to the decision of Warp Records that they will not be releasing Jimmy Edgar's album as it is. Unfortunately, Steve Beckitt rejected the album. With little respect, Warp Records offered absolutely no creative critism or interest in artistic development. In other words, Warp completely dropped the ball on Jimmy Edgar.

From our perspective (Jimmy Edgar, his manager and other affiliates), we see this as the end of Warp Records. We also agree that Warp Records is no longer interested in taking a chance with new, fresh, innovative electronic music... unless of course its their roster which have been around for longer (Autechre, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin.) Basically we feel that Warp is terrified to try something new and work hard to develop new fans. Its probably safe to say these classic Warp artists are not developing many new fans, which is not the case with Jimmy Edgar.

We all know the music industry is continuing to shatter for many reasons. Its nearly impossible to make money on record sales and we all know this.

With that said, Jimmy Edgar's new material is next level music, ahead of it's time. The great thing about working with Warp was that they were so behind this sort of thing. With the death of Rob Mitchell, everyone saw a huge change in Warp Records. It is mostly agreed that Rob was the heart of Warp's innovative spirit.

Whatever the case, this is a sign of times once again. Jimmy Edgar has no interest in working with Warp Records and their disrespective antics. Though, we would like to thank Tom, Phil, James, Mary, and a few others in the office who showed support.

"This was inevitable with respect to the industry, a diminishing industry that is continuing to lack artistic support. Working with Warp was mostly a joy, but there was another side to it as well. I'm looking to collaborate with an affiliation that can see more 'eye to eye' with me. I am continuing with everything, to further my work as a multimedia artist. Warp is not equipped to handle me, nor are they willing to take a chance with fresh and innovative ideas anymore... It's time to move on and this will be the best decision that has happened this year..."

Jimmy is currently working hard on the next album and working closely with new management to solidify this release with new and fresh ideas.

"We are coming up with new avenues to display what I do. Since its not just music, there are more options for what we can display. 2008 is the year for innovative art and multimedia.

"2008 is indeed the year for everyone. Let this be a motivational and inspirational message for artists alike. Jimmy Edgar is currently working on new editorial fashion photography with Costume National, directing 2 videos for v2 Records artist Black Affair, and continuing working on new J.E. music and production work for major label artists.

stjohn
28-04-2008, 01:42 AM
just listening to his stuff on his myspace

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=59622789

nothing too mindblowing

Loop
28-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Next level my ass.

rhythmtech
28-04-2008, 10:27 AM
dont you just love it when people make a public uproar regarding their business???

what the hell is wrong with keeping a bit of dignity and just announcing "business differances" or something?

koma
28-04-2008, 12:05 PM
no more jimmy edgar on warp? OMG what a tragedy!

not.

eyeswithoutaface
28-04-2008, 07:40 PM
yeah, i dont see how or why this is of any importance to anyone but jimmy edgar really??? I like his music, great production, but it's a record labels right to pick and choose who they wish to release

move along, nothing to see here

Patrick DSP
28-04-2008, 09:07 PM
^^ well said.

maily
28-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Next level my ass.

yeah, next level Le Rhythms digitales......

next level of the 80's.

DannyBlack
29-04-2008, 01:03 AM
Not wanting to sound like a dick or anything, I think that music is boring and every track on his player sounds just like the last one :hmmm:

His production is nice and tastie, fair play to him for doing what he's doing an all, but if he wants to be released maybe he should think about making something original and not trying to reinvent the 80's...

Sorry Jim, stop being such a f+cking drama queen and get on with it.

Smear
29-04-2008, 12:42 PM
His music's ok, nothing spectacular.

A few years ago Venetian Snares(whose new stuff i'm not a fan of either) was to do an album for Warp which I'm sure they turned down as well, and he didn't make a big public fuss about it. He just got on with it and got it released on Mu.

Why on earth would anyone publicise the fact that their album wasn't deemed good enough to release?

davethedrummer
29-04-2008, 01:16 PM
jimmy who?

DannyBlack
29-04-2008, 01:28 PM
His music's ok, nothing spectacular.

A few years ago Venetian Snares(whose new stuff i'm not a fan of either) was to do an album for Warp which I'm sure they turned down as well, and he didn't make a big public fuss about it. He just got on with it and got it released on Mu.

Why on earth would anyone publicise the fact that their album wasn't deemed good enough to release?

i think his ego took a bit of a dent and by making it public he'd get some kind of sympathy vote from is legeons of fan (s). bit mad really.

Smear
29-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah, it's not gonna work. Plus he's not endearing himself to people who don't know him so the whole 'gaining a new audience' thing he's aiming for is gonna be hurt by this.

DannyBlack
29-04-2008, 03:07 PM
To be honest, I can only see his music appealing to the yuppie crowd. If you tell the yuppie crowd its good, then no matter what they will buy it.

Jay Pace
30-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Strange
Played for us once in brighton. Seemed like a nice guy
Thats a weird statement to put up though

And warp is dying? Oh dear....
Dignity failure.

RDR
02-05-2008, 07:20 AM
jimmy who?

Either we're showing our ignorance or we need retraining as A+R men.

:lol:

MorePunkThanFunk
03-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Musics not bad, nothing to right home about.

His photography was pretty mediocre as well, checked out his site. Looks just like the 5 million other 'fashion photographers' who live in Hoxton and have decided to pick up a camera and shoot without actually bothering to learn how to expose properly and light properly.

Frank Dogshit
03-05-2008, 02:31 PM
some of his older stuff is pretty cool. wouldnt say its next level in terms of his new stuff but its not bad at all.

a million times better than half the garbage techno thats about at the moment anyway.

JamieBall
03-05-2008, 09:19 PM
jimmy who?

Just wot I thought...

shame the album from this obviously unique genius will never see the light of day.

eyeswithoutaface
03-05-2008, 11:23 PM
ahhh it's all too easy to hate to be fair, his production is really, really sweet, taste aside there's no denying he produces his stuff to a level the average techno joe would love to get too

no need for the hoo-haa over his album though of course, but it's just something these London scenester lot people do isnt it really, they love their drama, and Eastenders just isnt slick enough for them i guess

RDR
04-05-2008, 08:46 AM
ahhh it's all too easy to hate to be fair, his production is really, really sweet, taste aside there's no denying he produces his stuff to a level the average techno joe would love to get too

no need for the hoo-haa over his album though of course, but it's just something these London scenester lot people do isnt it really, they love their drama, and Eastenders just isnt slick enough for them i guess

he might not know how to expose.... but he knows how to milk exposure.

JamieBall
04-05-2008, 01:25 PM

Is that not, in a roundabout way, hating on techno producers production skills ?

:-)

However, I will agree that loads of techno producers can't produce anything else (barely techno) because they're totally untalented in a musical sense.

Also, who (with a true heart) really gives a shit about production at the end of the day. I'm FED UP of hearing people go on about it. It's all unneccesary geekyness, if something rocks it ****ing rocks. Maybe it could be polished up, but the fact remains that if your music sucks in the first place no amount of 'really, really sweet' production will make it good. Go and listen to Daniel Johnston for a contemporary example, or go jam out to some Leadbelly and then try and say pristine production would make this music better.

I actually believe it would make it worse.

Honestly, sooo many people 'producing' techno would be better off just stopping and getting a career writing for future music, I feel - it's a ****ing NERD OVERLOAD.

eyeswithoutaface
04-05-2008, 04:38 PM
well dont underestimate me. Im into stuff that is so lo-fi it's practically pop and hiss records, but these things have to be taken in the context they are delivered in. Jimmy Edgar is someone whose music requires a high level of production, there's no denying that. And there's no shame in it either. The average hard techno record just needs to boom alot of the time. No shame in that either, thats what people want when they listen to average hard techno. When people who are into jimmy edgar listen to his stuff, they expect a certain level of production. Cant see a problem with that myself really.

No shame in taking pride in getting to the highest possible level you can with your work, none at all

djfurness
13-05-2008, 04:48 PM
to be fair. Warp have just signed Rustie up for a couple of releases. doesnt seem that they arent moving with the times if they have signed him.
for those that dont know www.myspace.com/rustiebeetz

Darkmode
15-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Is that not, in a roundabout way, hating on techno producers production skills ?

:-)

However, I will agree that loads of techno producers can't produce anything else (barely techno) because they're totally untalented in a musical sense.

Also, who (with a true heart) really gives a shit about production at the end of the day. I'm FED UP of hearing people go on about it. It's all unneccesary geekyness, if something rocks it ****ing rocks. Maybe it could be polished up, but the fact remains that if your music sucks in the first place no amount of 'really, really sweet' production will make it good. Go and listen to Daniel Johnston for a contemporary example, or go jam out to some Leadbelly and then try and say pristine production would make this music better.

I actually believe it would make it worse.

Honestly, sooo many people 'producing' techno would be better off just stopping and getting a career writing for future music, I feel - it's a ****ing NERD OVERLOAD.

I can see where you are coming from about producers who can't produce anything else I would get bored producing the same type of music all the time that is why I write & produce Electro & Techno as I like to be versatile. But yeah as the old saying goes if your shit your shit you can't polish a turd.

davethedrummer
15-05-2008, 05:32 PM
he should just give it away for free
****ing tosser who does he think he is anyway
property is theft!!!!

* runs for cover*

tocsin
15-05-2008, 05:59 PM

Publicity. Is there a contingent of people who piss and moan about Warp frequently? If so, he just got their interest.

DannyBlack
15-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Jimmy Edgar is just panicking. He bought the 1980's for a lot of money and is fretting cos no one is gonna buy into it and he is gonna lose all his cash.

278d7e64a374de26f==